GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Administrator
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing my auxiliary tank from my 2006 Wing on my 2012 Wing. In order to ease the complications I'm reusing the already-tapped sending unit plate from the 2006.

It was necessary to trim just a little of the fuel tank opening to allow the bulkhead fitting on the sending unit to clear. The sending unit plate simply would not clear without some judicious surgery on the edge of the tank opening to allow the nut on the back of the bulkhead fitting to clear. 3 Eagles had cautioned me to VERY CAREFULLY trim the opening, and not to get into the area of the sealing gasket.

I got it trimmed, taking what I though was great pains to avoid the sealing area, for I'd already priced a replacement tank at almost $700. Anyway, I got it installed and plumbed my auxiliary tank and began filling the main tank from the auxiliary so I could check for leaks. Sure enough, at the 3/4 full mark the level is up to the sending unit and gasoline began weeping from the plate.

Disappointed does not began to describe what I felt. I quickly realized why I shy away from all but routine maintenance. Another conference call to 3 Eagles verified that unless I had cut into the sealing area, it was probably a burr that was preventing a good seal.

Upon disassembly, and with a strong light and my cheater glasses I found a tiny piece of plastic from the trimming process laying in the groove where the sealing ring sits. I gave it the white glove treatment, reassembled everything, and it is now leak-free.

I miss my auxiliary tank so that I don't have to spend my riding time at gas stations.

Glen

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
Glad to hear you got the leak figured out Glen.
Seems like there should be a bunch of used GL1800 fuel tanks out there with reasonable prices.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts