GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sucks for the most part.
Someone put together a descriptiion of how to use Google Advanced Search for this board that included snapshots and a walk thru. Anyone have it and would post? Maybe we can get it pinned somewhere...

·
Registered
895 Posts
Here's what I do when the built in search function doesn't do what I want:
In the Google search window, do

site:www.gl1800riders.com/forums keyword1 keyword2 keyword3

Where all keywords must be present to get a match. You can also use OR between keywords when you want to find threads that contain either keyword.
Example:

site:www.gl1800riders.com/forums keyword1 OR keyword2 keyword3

Note that to be taken as a logical OR rather than the word "or", it must be capitalized.

Another thing that is handy is to use a quoted string when the keywords must appear together - i.e. a phrase rather than a word:

site:www.gl1800riders.com/forums "keyword1 keyword2" keyword3

I used 3 keywords in the above examples, but you can use any number of keywords and quoted strings to refine your search. I am sure that Google supports a lot of other logical connectors that can be used to refine the search, but the above usually does it for me.

Ron Fuller

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ron... do you ever use + between the keywords to force all to be present in the search. I guess thats what I remember from the turorial that was posted.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I think the + is recognized by Google, but I believe that if you omit it, all keywords must be present anyway. You might also be able to use the - (minus sign) to filter out threads that have a keyword that you do not want. I think the + sign is treated the same as the AND logical connective.

Ron Fuller

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Sometimes this works - use the quotes and + :
"word1+word+2+word3"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts