GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my grips and seat heaters stopped working today, worked yesterday, checked fuses all good, any idea's
Cheers

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
Year ???

First, try isolating which Comfort system is not working. I'd start with checking the grips first. The test for that is this. Be sure to have the key off, the grips off, the front seat off, and rear seat off, then turn ignition on, start the Wing, turn the grips on and go ride for at least 15 mins. If the grips stay on for at least 15 mins, then that system is probably good, if not, then pull the shelter (2006-10 non-airbagger), and cowl too (air bagger and 2012-17), and ohm out the grips. One is probably bad ... it is best to replace them in pairs.

If the grips pass that test, next is to test the seat. Keep in mind that their are 2 halves, front and rear. It is best to start over again, so grips off, key off, and restart, and turn only the front seat on. This time ride for at least 30mins. If the seat continues to heat for at least 30mins, your seat is probably ok. Then start all over again testing the rear. It is best to do this with a passenger for them to test the seat. The other way is on a center stand while sitting on it for at least 30mins with the throttle taped in a position at about 1,500rpms.

It's important to know that if anything in the system is not working correctly, any part of the system that is on, will shut down. So if the grips and the seat are on, and the grips cause the grip system to shut down, the seat will too.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, yes checked and the seat is working so the its the grips, reading the other posts about how had it is to replace the grips, i dont see why i cant just buy new grips and cut the cables near the grip to and splice in the new grip cables?

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
thanks, yes checked and the seat is working so the its the grips, reading the other posts about how had it is to replace the grips, i dont see why i cant just buy new grips and cut the cables near the grip to and splice in the new grip cables?
Year ???
Air bagger ???

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had a similar problem that a local dealer could not find the problem under warranty. Mine was intermittent. I OHMed out the seat heaters and all was good. I ended up cutting the cable to each hand grip at handle bar under the cover on the handlebars and ohmed out the grips. It ended up being the right grip was bad. I figure the wire got broke from twisting the throttle all the time. I just soldered the wires and used heatshrink to cover splice. You cannot see the repairs.
Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts