GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the new to me trike out today for about a 5 hour break in ride. I had forgotten the joys of stock seat seats and handlebars.
What do y'all use? I am an iron butt rider and used to long days in the saddle but the bike has to fit. This one just plain doesn't.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Risers

I use the Kury risers. My set up brought the grips back 2" and in an inch, with a slight rise. I can now ride with a slight bent arm and leaning back into the backrest. Much more comfortable.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seats and Risers

What backrest do you have? I have bought but not yet installed the Ultimate. Need to find a seat that will go the distance before installing the backrest.

·
Registered
213 Posts
http://tscustomseats.com

Tom Simmons seat (not shown in picture). Best money I have spent on the rig. I also have the Kuryakin risers but the seat made the difference for me and the spouse.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
If you are planning on keeping a Wing, look into the RussalDayLong seat. A tad on the expensive side, but from what I hear the best bar none for the long run, and comfort is unsurpassed. They can be ordered with back rest also. If you are going to get an aftermarket seat do the back rest after getting the seat, or during it being made. The exterior frame type back rest are a pain to deal with on your part, and on the passenger part because of the frame around the seat, not to mention a real pain if you get under the seat on occasion for wiring ect:.....

http://www.day-long.com/

I use MBL Narrow riser, and love the fit. Kury or Reg risers that are adjustable are also good.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Use the regular version of these: http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/2361_gl1800_handlebar_risers_mbl_risers_standard_or/

Also have a Saddlemen seat with backrest but I also use an airhawk and that makes the biggest difference as far as the seat is concerned.

Had a Hartco seat but it was not any better than stock to me.

You really need to find some folks who have an aftermarket seat and sit on their bike for a while if at all possible before you spend good money blindly.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Seat Back and Cushion

In addition to the Kury Risers previously discussed, I have the Kury Back Rest. I like it for my back. SO likes it as well as it gives her an extra rail to hold on to when aggressively riding the twisties. I use the Walmart Ultimate Comfort cushion. For long distance I ride about half a day without, then throw it on one side down for awhile, then flip it other side down rest of the day. Works for me.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I use REG (old style) risers, a stock seat with a jell pad (the large one from JC Whitney(inside a home made cover) and this back rest
http://www.utpr.com/gl1800.html

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a russledaylong. good seat If I was going to buy a new one I would get a diamond. They seem to understand trike seats better. The russle people didn't seem to understand that us trike riders don't need to put our feet down when we stop. The diamond guys made me one for my valkyrie trike and it was the best. Just my 2 cents worth.
Dave

·
Registered
889 Posts
I guess we have different preferences. I've ridden a DayLong saddle on a Royal Star Venture for many thousands of miles, and again on a GL1500 CSC trike, and now on a GL1800 with a RoadSmith kit installed. Three different seats built for the same two butts (me and my wife), and I have not found the seats to be any problem at all on the trikes. In fact, I've heard more complaints from riders of two wheelers who worry about getting their feet down with a DayLong in place. Once you learn how to do it, it's no problem, but the seat is surely not a problem for us on the trikes.

It's a fact that each of us must find out for ourselves what works best for us. Just because someone else or everyone else loves something doesn't mean I'll like it (or will you). I love the support the DayLong provides and the comfort we experience on day long rides. I always recommend sitting on a seat for some time before making a decision about how it will work, but since the DayLong is made for the individual, and individuals are shaped in many different ways, even that is not a really good way to test. Since it's hard to get a chance to ride a seat for three hours or so, it's pretty hard to decide which one to buy. But it's no trouble to tell whether or not you like a seat after riding it for that long!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts