GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question: What actually has the female threads the seat bolts screw into? Is the frame threaded or is it that little puck held in the recess in the seat?

I know I could take my seat back off and look for myself but.....asking you guys is easier. Call me lazy!:grin2:

My left bolt is not screwing as easily as it should and if it is just that little puck that is threaded, I will replace it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
There is what appears to be a nut welded behind frame where the screw mates. I've also has problems getting those bolts back in without cross threading them. You just have to take your time and get the seat lined up. I did cross thread one once and had to use a thread chaser to clean it up.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Same here with having to be careful to line up the bolt. Do you really need to bolts at all ? Seems like over kill to me. I know it's probably to keep someone from stealing the seat but what are those odds ?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is what appears to be a nut welded behind frame where the screw mates. I've also has problems getting those bolts back in without cross threading them. You just have to take your time and get the seat lined up. I did cross thread one once and had to use a thread chaser to clean it up.
Is that on the new bikes you are referring to or a 5th gen?

I bought this bike from a private party and just took the seat off for the first time to install a Utopia and noticed the left bolt was hard to get out and now even harder to get back in. I backed it out numerous times and was very careful with it but it is definitely binding and probably cross threaded a bit. It is only about half way in and rather than muscle it, I just stopped.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I would recommend taking the seat off and using a tap to clean the threads before too much material is damaged. Show Chrome makes a tapered bolt which makes the install a little easier. The problem is that dealers (mine) or whoever installs the seat forces the bolt when the seat still needs to be moved back some more for the install to prevent binding. I thought I read the female portion was a tab that could be replaced. The experts will chime in with the correct answer.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Also, if the bolt was hard to get out, it probably did get cross threaded (and probably not screwed in all the way by the last guy to re-install the seat). Just re thread the female portion of the thread with a tap (should be an 8mm x 1.25 - again for a 2018 wing). Also check that the bolt threads look OK. Tap can be had at an Ace hardware or similar for around $6. Test the fix by screwing the bolt in without the seat attached to get a feel for how much force it takes to screw it in (it doesn't take much). When re-installing the seat bolts, use one of those t-handled allen wrenches - don't use a longer wrench/allen socket as it may be too easy to get frustrated and inadvertently cross thread it again and, with the extra torque of the wrench, goof it up even worse.

·
Registered
2019 GL1800
73 Posts
I no longer bolt it down since I switch between two seats. This also allows easy access to an emergency key that I taped below the seat, and I keep the secret PIN in my wallet.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I no longer bolt it down since I switch between two seats. This also allows easy access to an emergency key that I taped below the seat, and I keep the secret PIN in my wallet.

:agree:

Haven’t had the screws in my seat in over a year. Haven’t lost it yet.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Or just take your OEM bolts and grind a point on them with a bench grinder.
Like remoandiris, I did my own bench grinding of my seat bolts. First though, find a matching nut and screw it on the bolt before grinding, then when you remove the nut it will "clean" the threads. I put a very small amount of wheel bearing grease on the bolt threads to help get the bolts started. Cheaper and faster than ordering a set of pre tapered bolts.

BTW, I lost one of the sleeves that the seat bolt goes through, so I took the other one out. It makes getting the bolt started a bit easier as you have a bigger hole to maneuver the bolt around in.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I never considered leaving the bolts out...... but based on the way the seat wedges into the back and the pegs which fit into the holes in the front, the seat really CAN’T move as long as there is weight on it.

“Things that make you go Hmmnn”

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
The main problem with getting the bolts lined up is the metal collars installed in the seat holes. They will fall out and get cocked at an angle when you're trying to get the seat into place, and then the bolts won't go in. Get a flashlight and look in the holes before you install the seat, and many times you'll find the collars either fell out, or are crooked. I've glued mine into the seat and that seems to have helped keep them in place.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Nailed it with “Things that make you go Hmmnn” for sure.

Leaving the bolts out all-together, really? Oh well I guess, its not my bike.

Re fitting the seat and the bolts can be tricky but its not impossible, or in the too hard basket for me.
I do use some wooden dowels to line up the seat to the correct position, I use the wooden dowels so as not to damage the threads in the frame.
I have put a dab of silicone on the rubber bung thingys to ensure they dont drop out when I remove the seat and stay in the correct place for re-fitting the seat. Keeps everything in the correct position.

Also I do from time to time run a tap through to clean out the threads and like Greg use a little grease on the bolt threads.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
The main problem with getting the bolts lined up is the metal collars installed in the seat holes. They will fall out and get cocked at an angle when you're trying to get the seat into place, and then the bolts won't go in. Get a flashlight and look in the holes before you install the seat, and many times you'll find the collars either fell out, or are crooked. I've glued mine into the seat and that seems to have helped keep them in place.
Dang it! My daughter found this little metal collared bushing in the drive way weeks ago. It looked just like ones my slope mower has, but way smaller, now I remember where I had seen that little scrap before. Guess I had better go check to satisfy curiosity.

prs

Reactions: Bulitt

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Both of mine are still glued in place; so that extra one is from something else.

prs

·
Registered
410 Posts
I glued both the collars in my seat with Goop, my go to for anything I don't ever want to take apart again. I have found if I put the seat on and try to get the bolts it it's near impossible. I now put the seat on then sit on it and wiggle around a little, get off the bike then the bolts go right in.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts