GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like I read a post one time where someone said that they did not install the bolts back into the seat. Is anyone riding around without you bolts? If so do you have any issues with the seat moving?
I am thinking of not bolting mine in. The little collars that the bolts go through are a pain and seem to always get hung up. Also thinking that if I ever have to remove the seat on the rode it would be easier.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Yes, all Goldwings from the GL1500 to present has been a pain when it comes to removing the seat (the models I have owned). I only have one bolt on my 2018. (I am embarrassed to say what happened to the other bolt) So far my seat has not blown off while going doing the road. If someone wanted to steal a Goldwing seat they would just rip off the side covers and unbolt and steal the seat.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to aligning the seat bolt on a Honda Goldwing or a Star Wars Speeder.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
On my 2018 non-tour, I have removed/installed the seat 4 times and I can do it without much issue now. I don't bother getting the plastic tongue inserted into the slot in the front (I tried for a while and gave up). I also wack the seat rearward (with my palm) before trying to install the two bolts and they line up well.

Two notes: ensure the metal collars are on the seat plastic before putting the seat onto the bike and be very careful and take your time getting the bolts started. I dropped one and was lucky to find it hanging between a space where I could barely reach (with some duct tape on the end of my fingers). One of those magnetic tools would've really helped here but I could not find mine (I'll probably buy a new one next time I see one).

Dennis

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have glued the collars in my seat so that is no problem. My process is put the seat back on, sit on it and wiggle my butt around a little get off of it and the bolts go right in. Don't want to go in if I don't do the sit and wiggle.

My only problem is the body work on the left side hangs on the seat. Have to make sure that is aligned properly and it goes right on.

I fought it like crazy before I learned these things.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I have glued the collars in my seat so that is no problem.
Same here. I realized when last removing and reinstalling the seat that I was missing one of the collars (which presumably prevent one from over tightening the bolts and prevent wear on the nylon). I ordered a replacement and to be sure they never went anywhere again, I epoxied them in place. MUCH easier to reinstall the seat now, without fear of them falling out. Though to be honest, I'm seriously thinking about not bolting mine back in next time.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I think it's the right hand seat bolt on my bike that is almost impossible to get lined up properly with a standard flat end allen wrench. The shaft of the wrench hits the seat pan before the bolt is properly lined up with the hole. This makes it very easy to cross thread.

This gave me an excuse to purchase a proper set of T-handle Ball End allen wrenches. Now that I have them I wish I had ordered these years ago, very useful. The ball end allows you to install and remove bolts with the wrench shaft being off axis.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E7ZPVI/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
There are a couple tricks that help getting the seat bolts in on the 2018/19.

1. Glue in the collars. They have no reason to ever come out, so make that permanent. It also help in getting them to drop down without getting hung up.

2. Take note of what may be in front of the left side cross bar under the seat where that big bulgy block on the underside of the seat goes. There must not be anything in that spot. Several wire harness related items are intended to be under the seat, but none of them can be in that spot. This was a major reason I was having problems installing the seat. Now, I make sure that spot is free of any wires, plugs, fuse blocks, relays, etc. and now it drops down and lines up the holes every time.

The only complaint I have left about seat removal/install is getting the bolt and washer out without dropping them.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Thank God you guys that leave parts off are not aircraft tech or auto tech, there would be a lot of left over bolt because it was a problem to put them back in lol just think of the tech that do these things, you would be unhappy if Honda left them out. So when you find that someone did you a half a..... job don't be upset.

·
Registered
2019 GL1800
73 Posts
I actually leave the bolts out so I can quickly switch out seats. I have a custom seat for when I ride alone, and another seat designed for my wife's comfort when two up.

I did enjoy your response. ?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
How is a seat going to blow off with the bike being ridden down the road...even with the Guhl top speed limiter removal mod? And if the wind blows hard enough to lift the seat when the bike is parked, you got bigger problems.

Reactions: Kenichi

·
Registered
283 Posts
Thank God you guys that leave parts off are not aircraft tech or auto tech, there would be a lot of left over bolt because it was a problem to put them back in lol just think of the tech that do these things, you would be unhappy if Honda left them out. So when you find that someone did you a half a..... job don't be upset.
I like your thinking, it's like mine. I am particular about putting the correct bolt or screw in the correct place. Are the seat bolts hard to install, yes. However, I don't let them beat me. Anybody that owns a Goldwing and does his/her own work, needs a lot of patience. Mechanical knowledge is absolutely needed, but to help that go smoothly, you need some lubrication and that is patience, patience and more patience. If you don't have it, you will get frustrated early in the game and will try to cut corners. Not a smart thing to do. However, with all that being said, I wish all a safe and happy riding time in the cooler days ahead.

Big H

·
Registered
581 Posts
I have had my seat off the bike several times. I always put the bolts back in. I do "hit" the seat back to be sure of seating and alignment. Guess I've been lucky as I've never had a real problem with reinserting the bolts. To me, it's like anything else "mechanical"... take your time, work methodically, know what it is you're facing, endeavor to persevere. And, if you have the heated seat, be sure to reconnect the cable... I know this one from experience as I remembered I had forgot to reconnect the cable once and had to go through the process again.

If my seat were to be blown off, it would be due to me riding into a tornado which are fairly common in my neck of the woods. I tend to not ride on those days as I hate to admit to riding with RAIN mode activated. It just sounds more manly to ride in SPORT or TOUR modes. I only ride in ECON mode if I'm about out of gas. Helps me to believe I won't run out of fuel in the next 70 miles. So far, so good.

·
Registered
794 Posts
There are a couple tricks that help getting the seat bolts in on the 2018/19.

1. Glue in the collars. They have no reason to ever come out, so make that permanent. It also help in getting them to drop down without getting hung up.

2. Take note of what may be in front of the left side cross bar under the seat where that big bulgy block on the underside of the seat goes. There must not be anything in that spot. Several wire harness related items are intended to be under the seat, but none of them can be in that spot. This was a major reason I was having problems installing the seat. Now, I make sure that spot is free of any wires, plugs, fuse blocks, relays, etc. and now it drops down and lines up the holes every time.

The only complaint I have left about seat removal/install is getting the bolt and washer out without dropping them.

:agree: and some more tips:

3) Pick up a can of silicone spray then spray the rubber grommets under your seat EVERY TIME you remove your seat. You'll be amazed how MUCH easier it is to install the seat and align it up to the bolt holes.

4) In terms of removing the seat, use a magnet such as this one from Harbor Freight to "grab" the bolts so they don't fall somewhere unknown in the bike. :smile2:

https://www.harborfreight.com/15-lb-capacity-telescoping-magnetic-pickup-tool-95933.html

1 - 20 of 50 Posts