GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
That's for a set of 4. Mine arrived today. This is a pre-empive strike against the cross threading problem. And what would a heli-coil kit with labor to repair said problem cost?

·
Registered
112 Posts
$30.00 PLUS A TEN DOLLAR DRILL BIT ASK ME I KNOW,,,,,,CRUSH

·
Chard Member
12,960 Posts
If you guys can't start a seat bolt straight, you need your tools taken away! :banghead:

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Red,

Are you telling us you can get all four bolts started easy and with no cross threading each and every time ??? I can get all four bolts out in a matter of seconds, But better bring coffee n donuts when time to put them back in.

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
kco said:
KCO, thanks for the info. :D I just ordered a set even though I have not yet had the seat off my bike. Only had it for three mos, but there's no doubt that the seat will be coming off soon. Hope to be getting a Utopia back rest before too long. Ride safely always. :)

Todd

·
Registered
358 Posts
I do like the looks of those bolts - just a bit pricey for a cheapskate like me - $20 + shipping? I'd bet that'd be almost $30 total cost.

I rounded the ends of my existing bolts a bit, cleaned the threads - and now it's easy to start the bolts. IF I had a lathe, I'd relieve the threads a bit like that did - say 1/4"? That'd take the first step of screwdriver lining up the holes a bit.

73 de Ken H>

·
Registered
958 Posts
Here are some tips for installing the seat

1. Glue the rubber busings to the seat pan. (Now its 50 percent easier)

2. Put the seat on and look through the holes. You should be able to see the seat frame and line things up.

3. Get a T handled wrench and while pushing in on the tool (slightly), push up, down, sideways whater way is needed on the seat itself.

4. You will feel the bold "pop" in place and then screw it in

I have removed and installed literally hundreds of seats and never cross threaded one using the stock bolts. If the bolt is hard to turn, something is very wrong...

John

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hi John,
What do you suggest using to glue the rubber bushings on with? Would rubber cement work?

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
KA7W said:
Red,

Are you telling us you can get all four bolts started easy and with no cross threading each and every time ??? I can get all four bolts out in a matter of seconds, But better bring coffee n donuts when time to put them back in.

JMHO 8)
I can't answer for Red, but I've had my seat off many times. Once I place it on the frame, I use a flashlight to check alignment. Then I hand start all the bolts at least two turns. No stripped bolts if you do it this way. BTW, take the two screws out of the passenger backrest and remove it. Makes a big difference.

·
Registered
51 Posts
KA7W said:
Red,

JMHO 8)
absolutely, everytime, all 4 in and tight in les than 5 minutes

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Red said:
If you guys can't start a seat bolt straight, you need your tools taken away! :banghead:
I have to agree in this one. My Hartco is a little harder, but not $20+shipping harder.

I've never come close to stripping my seat bolts and don't understand the difficulty some have. Now it's possible that there's a considerable amount of variation in the seats and some are more difficult that others. Still It's never taken me more than 10min to install any of the ones I've worked on.

I just get all the bolts started before tightening any. Once started I tighten them all down. See, simple and it didn't cost you a dime.

4 new bolts from HDL will cost you $10. 4 new from the local hardware store will cost you less than $5. 3 minutes with a grinder and they will look exactly like the ones from the link above.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
The glue thing is correct. Use contact cement. I then push a med philips screw driver down the hole to align, enter screws on one side without tightening. Do the same on the other side with the philips, enter screws finish tightening everything. Works every time.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Wanderer said:
KA7W said:
Red,

JMHO 8)
I can't answer for Red, but I've had my seat off many times. Once I place it on the frame, I use a flashlight to check alignment. Then I hand start all the bolts at least two turns. No stripped bolts if you do it this way. BTW, take the two screws out of the passenger backrest and remove it. Makes a big difference.
I'll have to agree. From day one I used Anti-Seize compound on the bolts and have never had a problem.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts