GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does everybody use to protect their seat, I hate the armor all junk to slick and greasy.
I have some good leather conditioner for car seats will this work?

·
Vendor
16,590 Posts
If your seat is OEM, follow the directions in the Owner's Manual > index > care, appearance. If the seat is non-OEM, following the care instructions that came with the seat.

·
Registered
282 Posts
If your seat is OEM, follow the directions in the Owner's Manual > index > care, appearance. If the seat is non-OEM, following the care instructions that came with the seat.
Had to look twice but the new owners manual (2018+) does not even mention the seat under washing/care and only mentions seat in reference to seat heaters.

Seats are typically made from 4 materials: most stock seats are vinyl. Custom seats can be Vinyl, Velour, Sunbrella, or Leather
Vinyl needs almost no care and all my vinyl seats last forever when stored in a garage or covered. Care is water and mild soap wash and dry.
Velour I had once and didn't like it but you need to vacuum or dirt just smears. Then soap and water. Scotchguard for protection. Then buy a vinyl seat. It rains here a lot.
Sunbrella is a type of canvas and is very strong and breathable. Cleaning is soft brush, soapy and water and rinse. You don't need protection. The problem with Sunbrella: its difficult to slide around on. I like to change my seating position after an hour or so but the Sunbrella seems to velco me in place.
Leather loses its oils so requires a conditioner. Don't use much or you will clog the pores. Don't use mink oil.

The best protection for a seat is a breathable seat cover, half cover or full cover.

·
Vendor
16,590 Posts
Had to look twice but the new owners manual (2018+) does not even mention the seat under washing/care and only mentions seat in reference to seat heaters.

Seats are typically made from 4 materials: most stock seats are vinyl. Custom seats can be Vinyl, Velour, Sunbrella, or Leather
Vinyl needs almost no care and all my vinyl seats last forever when stored in a garage or covered. Care is water and mild soap wash and dry.
Velour I had once and didn't like it but you need to vacuum or dirt just smears. Then soap and water. Scotchguard for protection. Then buy a vinyl seat. It rains here a lot.
Sunbrella is a type of canvas and is very strong and breathable. Cleaning is soft brush, soapy and water and rinse. You don't need protection. The problem with Sunbrella: its difficult to slide around on. I like to change my seating position after an hour or so but the Sunbrella seems to velco me in place.
Leather loses its oils so requires a conditioner. Don't use much or you will clog the pores. Don't use mink oil.

The best protection for a seat is a breathable seat cover, half cover or full cover.
For 6th gens the path is Owner's Manual > index > washing your motorcycle > caring for your motorcycle > washing

·
Registered
8,084 Posts
Well, "everybody" doesn't use it, but I use the stuff from Ultimate Seats for my Ultimate seat. I think it works pretty well.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Ultimate Seat Treatment 👍 😎

·
Registered
79 Posts
Over 100,000 miles on my vinyl RDL and the only protection it gets is from my butt. It looks and rides better than new.

·
Registered
282 Posts
For 6th gens the path is Owner's Manual > index > washing your motorcycle > caring for your motorcycle > washing
Now I have looked 3 times and then got the "paper manual" out and nothing. Maybe just semantics but are you saying there is something on Page 216 that specifically mentions the seat or are you just referring to the washing the entire motorcycle? OP was asking specifically about seat care I cannot find anything that mentions that in the manual.

·
Vendor
16,590 Posts
Maybe just semantics but are you saying there is something on Page 216 that specifically mentions the seat or are you just referring to the washing the entire motorcycle? OP was asking specifically about seat care I cannot find anything that mentions that in the manual.
Honda is not calling out the seat separately like aluminum components, windscreen, panels, etc. So the instructions for the seat would falls under washing and washing precaution headings.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I know my OEM seat is vinyl and not leather, but I tried some ArmorAll leather care gel I used on the leather seats in my cage. It really looks nice and was not slippery like regular Armor All spray.

Probably just my imagination but it seems to work well. I think it cost about $7. My wife didn’t like how slippery regular Armor All made the seat. She hasn’t noticed that I used the leather gel, so that’s good....😎

47A24B00-5246-4773-B184-DC1D7C21E437.jpeg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts