GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed this morning that my seat is beginning to come apart at the seams. It is on the left and right sides of the seat right behind where your butt bones sit. It is on the inner part of the seat right next to the area that seems to be tucked downwards in the center of the seat. It seams as though the seam is laminated together and the 2 pieces are ungluing from each other. I did have the wing soft mod done about 12,000 miles ago so warranty is out. Anyone else seen this yet?

·
Registered
19,223 Posts
Factory warranty should not cover modifications especially those with added foam. Good luck

Buy another oem seat or looks like a good reason to order a RDL Seat

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Factory warranty should not cover modifications especially those with added foam. Good luck

Buy another oem seat or looks like a good reason to order a RDL Seat
RDL At least that the angle I'm taking with the misses:wink2:

·
Registered
558 Posts
I just noticed this morning that my seat is beginning to come apart at the seams. It is on the left and right sides of the seat right behind where your butt bones sit. It is on the inner part of the seat right next to the area that seems to be tucked downwards in the center of the seat. It seams as though the seam is laminated together and the 2 pieces are ungluing from each other. I did have the wing soft mod done about 12,000 miles ago so warranty is out. Anyone else seen this yet?
Sorry to hear about your problem. I have a little over 5,000 miles on my seat since having the WingSoft modification done. I inspected my seat closely this morning in the areas you note and no signs of separation.

I see what you refer to as a seam on each side but I don't think it is two pieces of material laminated or glued together. I think this is a single piece of material that is Pressure & Heat Embossed to create a natural line or crease to avoid seat covering wrinkles in rounded areas ???

Seat cover embossing is a process that involves applying pressure and heating the material to create patterns or lines in the seat cover material. Could well be your seat cover was exposed to too much Heat and or Pressure during this process causing the material where the lines were embossed to be weakened ???

There are similar lines running from the back of the seat to the seat nose on each side.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to hear about your problem. I have a little over 5,000 miles on my seat since having the WingSoft modification done. I inspected my seat closely this morning in the areas you note and no signs of separation.

I see what you refer to as a seam on each side but I don't think it is two pieces of material laminated or glued together. I think this is a single piece of material that is Pressure & Heat Embossed to create a natural line or crease to avoid seat covering wrinkles in rounded areas ???

Seat cover embossing is a process that involves applying pressure and heating the material to create patterns or lines in the seat cover material. Could well be your seat cover was exposed to too much Heat and or Pressure during this process causing the material where the lines were embossed to be weakened ???

There are similar lines running from the back of the seat to the seat nose on each side.
Yes you are correct after looking at it a little closer that is exactly what it is. the left side has a tear about 3/4 inch long and the right side about 1/4 inch long. I put some super glue gel into each one of them and rode about 20 miles, seems to be holding up as a temporary fix. Will contact RDL this week to get a scheduled date.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts