GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 GL1800 and trading for a 2013 GL1800. Have a Hartco seat on the 2003. What is the difference between 2003 and 2013 oem seats? I know the 2013 is heated. But what else?

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
The shape is different from one to the other. I think it will mount up but it leaves a gap.

Reactions: Wild Turkey

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I would give it a try, 2012-2017 reduced the seating area for the rider.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Yes, it will mount but the difference in the sides leaves a good sized hole towards the back of the seat that looks bad in my opinion.

Reactions: Art H.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, thanks all. I will try the oem seat for awhile and see.

·
Canuck
2,841 Posts
OK, thanks all. I will try the oem seat for awhile and see.
I haven't ridden my 2012 yet, so I can't comment on the seat (which I've read is supposed to be an improvement over the 1st generation seat). But I can tell you after 200,000 miles on my 2004, I always ran with a $20 seat pad from the local auto parts supplier (often on sale for $10). In fact I would buy two, and then put two pads inside one cover. I've sat on many after market seats. For my derriere the OEM seat plus $20 in seat pads worked just fine for many years and many miles.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Yep, you can make up a small panel to fill the space towards the rear of the seat sides. But the early seat is also slightly different in shape at the lower front sides and it doesn't sit well against the side panels on the later bike. However, the curvature is deeper on the early seat so the covering can be folded back - use a screwdriver to pop out the staples - and the offending seat base plastic can then be cut to shape easily enough.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Filling in the back wouldn't be bad. My Hartco was tight in the back by the trunk and I have the matching backrest. And a filler pad came with, that was hard to get in
place. Was a plug load thing used so the heated grips works? Not having a heated seat won't be a problem. Never had it before. Just thought heated grips be nice.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How did he hold the fill in panels in place? And what did he make them out of?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
An old thread but this gives me hope that my RDL will work on the newer bike.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It will bolt on. It's hard. Had to have someone sitting on the seat. Then do your measuring for the fill ins. Still not sure how to mount the pieces. And if you don't have a heated seat, you need the override plug to let the grips work. I just went and ordered a new Hartco seat and sold the old one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts