GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure what happened, but while re-installing the seat on my 2002 wing, I inserted the allen head bolts in the grab handle on the first side and screwed both in. The bolts went in many turns and then the first one tightened nicely while the other bolt got 'pretty' tight but kept turning. I turned it several turns before I decided it was stripping but I wasn't sure.

It's nice and tight but here's my problem. I tried to unscrew the bolts just for the heck of it. The first bolt unscrewed right out nicely but the second one is getting tighter to unscrew the more I turn it. I'm afraid either the hex wrench or the bolt will snap if I try to unscrew it any more.

I'm not sure what to do. I can screw it back in (at least for now).

Any ideas on how to get this bolt out?

Thanks,

Wayne

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my 2000 1500. I screwed in back until snug and rode the bike to the dealer. They removed it and chased the threads. It was a little loose but worked for several years and was the same when I traded it.

Fred

07 Blue Wing

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Unfortunately the frames are powdercoated after they are tapped making those seat bolts very easy to cross thread. Just keep backing it out then run a tap though the hole and chamfer the bolts.

Always start those bolts by turning backwards until you hear/feel the click fo the threads lining up.

·
Registered
609 Posts
QD that hovercraft is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too clean.....go ride!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Tom, I got it out this weekend, for the whole weekend, finally!!!

Most of the pictures I have of Yellow Spot III were taken as I was putting her together with only 20 miles on it. New bikes are clean :p

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Try these http://tinyurl.com/dlq7vd

GL1800 Seat Bolts

Part Number: 2816

GL1800 Honda Goldwing Seat Bolts
These seat bolts have rounded tips for easy installation. A best seller and customer recommended for the person who works on their bike a lot.

·
Registered
741 Posts
You probably should use a heli-coil to replace the threads. I don't think a tap will do any good once you have turned the bolt that much.

M8x1.25 is the size and you can reuse the stock bolts.

You can find them in a kit that has the tap, bit, and insert tool, and a bunch of the insert threads. You will have enough to do all yours and some of your friends. Or you might find just the individual inserts but you have to have the right tap and bit.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
QD that hovercraft is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too clean.....go ride!!!!!!!!!
Looks like Quickdraw finally found the Auto-Hover switch, and Old Yeller is going to see the light of day......

Must be snowing up there, or he would stay home....;)

Heard he was modifying a Voyager kit, so his new polished wheels would not touch the dirty old ground......

Yep - gear down and welded.....check.....:roll:

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Try these http://tinyurl.com/dlq7vd

GL1800 Seat Bolts

Part Number: 2816

GL1800 Honda Goldwing Seat Bolts
These seat bolts have rounded tips for easy installation. A best seller and customer recommended for the person who works on their bike a lot.
I tried these. They work great but the socket heads rust like crazy. Looked so nasty I pulled then off.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Timeserts and Keenserts seem a little more substantial than old style helicoils.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Tom, I got it out this weekend, for the whole weekend, finally!!!

Most of the pictures I have of Yellow Spot III were taken as I was putting her together with only 20 miles on it. New bikes are clean :p
I haven't gone all the way through your Yellow spot thing, But It looks to me you should change to a different color. That one dont' look to lucky for you.
Did I and II both get wrecked?

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Did I and II both get wrecked?
Yup, within 2 months of each other, in '04, then #3 hit a deer and was repaired, in '05, so I should be done!!!
#1 was parted out.
#2 was rebuilt and is still running around eastern Washington.
#3 is in the shop and is just exactly what I want!

I learned a lot about the 1800 from "just doing it!"

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Yup, within 2 months of each other, in '04, then #3 hit a deer and was repaired, in '05, so I should be done!!!
#1 was parted out.
#2 was rebuilt and is still running around eastern Washington.
#3 is in the shop and is just exactly what I want!

I learned a lot about the 1800 from "just doing it!"

Hey how about a warning when you are going to post nude pictures?:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
841 Posts
It's because of the yellow I tell ya.......everything fits perfectly on the Pearl White:thumbup:

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
It's because of the yellow I tell ya.......everything fits perfectly on the Pearl White:thumbup:
Yep! The White one is so Fast the Threads, follow.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts