GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so now that the weather is cold I figured I would test out why my drivers seat was only getting luke warm at best and here are my findings:

Outside temp 42 degrees
Engine idle to about 55 mph luke warm
Increase speed to 65-70 mph and seat is definitely warmer
Increase speed to 80 mph (our highways speed) seat is just about right
Rear seat never even gets hot at all (set on 1 or 5) - Don't think it is working at all

Battery is the original. I bought my 2018 DCT Tour in late Summer new but I'm thinking that maybe the issue is the alternator is not putting out enough current to power the seat. The grips get very hot and I expect the seat to perform equally. Does anyone know if the speed the bike is travelling is tied to how hot the seat gets or what would cause this weird condition? I did put a laser temperature tester on the seat at idle and it reads 76 degrees. The rear seat is scheduled to be looked at by the Honda dealer later this week for warranty work so I will have them look at both. I can't find any information on the web about seat heat being speed dependent or any people having issues with the alternator any thought on whether this a just a bad battery? My battery tender show the battery is fully charged and good. I have not had a load test on the battery but it starts right up and everything from an electrical perspective appears fine.

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
They could be fused,
Your doing the right thing by having the dealer check it out. Good Luck.:)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine heats up just fine even idling in driveway. Gets plenty hot after a few minutes. Have had to turn it down when on "5" due to hotbutt...
That definitely tells me I have an issue. Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Seat has a thermistor feedback circuit for temperature regulation. Yours is bad. Dealer time.

·
Registered
150 Posts
On my stock seat the heat was amazing at all speeds. 5 was very hot 1 was just warm. My wife also comments on how warm her seat got. There are two heated sections for each seat and two thermistor (one for each pad. If you unplug the seat the resistance at the seat can be measured easily for the temperature you are at. The computer will give you more heat in colder weather until the thermistor heats up and the bike uses this input to regulate the temperature. The service manual has the values clearly listed. Right now I am working with the aftermarket seat guys trying to find out why my very expensive seat really is not that warm, comfortable but not warm. I tested it to below freezing and it is way lower (temperature) than stock. This is both the seats. The values measure correct per the service manual. They have admitted to a production problem.

When we are done working the issue I will post about that event.

·
Registered
867 Posts
On my stock seat the heat was amazing at all speeds. 5 was very hot 1 was just warm. My wife also comments on how warm her seat got. There are two heated sections for each seat and two thermistor (one for each pad. If you unplug the seat the resistance at the seat can be measured easily for the temperature you are at. The computer will give you more heat in colder weather until the thermistor heats up and the bike uses this input to regulate the temperature. The service manual has the values clearly listed. Right now I am working with the aftermarket seat guys trying to find out why my very expensive seat really is not that warm, comfortable but not warm. I tested it to below freezing and it is way lower (temperature) than stock. This is both the seats. The values measure correct per the service manual. They have admitted to a production problem.

The seat will get warmer as the temps drop ?? I didn't know that. I MAY have read it in the manual. But, I don't remember seeing that. I hope you're right !!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thanks for the detailed thoughts. I took the bike to the dealer today and they are looking at it. I hope they find the problem with with little or no effort and its covered under warranty. This is the first time in the shop since new and I've never had to do a Honda warranty claim.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thanks for the input. I got a call from the dealer today and they stated everything check out fine. No codes, ohm values were correct, etc...I made them check with the tech twice just to be sure. I'm waiting for the blizzard to stop and I'll pick it back up. I'm hoping maybe a connector was loose and when they put it back together to test it was fixed but I won't know till i ride back on Wednesday. It suppose to be 39 degrees so it should be a good test. They did state that someone had to be sitting on the rear seat for the heat to work but that sounds like BS to me.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Never thought to check the rear seat operation to see if it deactivates with no passenger present. But it makes sense as it’s too easy to leave it on and not know it, since there is no indicator on the dash for the rear seat.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Never thought to check the rear seat operation to see if it deactivates with no passenger present. But it makes sense as it’s too easy to leave it on and not know it, since there is no indicator on the dash for the rear seat.
I have an indicator on my dash for the heated rear seat (seat # 2 on the display). It only shows when the seat is turned on and doesn't display heating level.
1610795909464.png

·
Registered
150 Posts
My dash shows the back seat heat on or off. The seat does heat without a passenger sitting on it, as measured with a temperature sensor under a bag of ice. I suspect Honda has its software turning off the seat heat (even though the switch is indicated on) when the ambient temperature is warm (maybe 70 or higher). I've started a ride in the cold (below 50) and it quickly warmed up to almost 80. It seemed the heat stopped but I had left the heat on. This could be the thermistor seeing the seat was warm and automatically switching it off. Or well written code that overrides the heat (doubt it with all the other code errors in the system). Hope this info is correct and warms your thoughts.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,554 Posts
Ive read a few times how some have said their seats have plenty of heat and get hot..but my seat has rarely needed to he turned down from the 5th setting..I dont think the seat or the heated grips get hot enough with my bike..they get warm on setting 5 and a few times I have lowered the settings....but with 5 heat settings, the 5th setting is simply not hot enough and the 4 lower settings with my bike are nearly useless most of the time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My dash shows the back seat heat on or off. The seat does heat without a passenger sitting on it, as measured with a temperature sensor under a bag of ice. I suspect Honda has its software turning off the seat heat (even though the switch is indicated on) when the ambient temperature is warm (maybe 70 or higher). I've started a ride in the cold (below 50) and it quickly warmed up to almost 80. It seemed the heat stopped but I had left the heat on. This could be the thermistor seeing the seat was warm and automatically switching it off. Or well written code that overrides the heat (doubt it with all the other code errors in the system). Hope this info is correct and warms your thoughts.
Thanks for the reply. The dealer had my bike for two days and said everything checks out O.K. I think maybe a plug was loose and they inadvertently fixed it on accident when they reassembled everything. I'm going to pick it up this Wednesday as soon as the snow is cleared and then I'll know for sure...My dealer has been known to make things up in the past and i have caught them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
"My dealer has been known to make things up in the past and i have caught them. "
You probably are in an area like myself, have the bike but very limited on taking the bike to Honda dealer for warranty work. So take it to them then there's a paper trail of work on an issue. Hope it was just a connector issue.

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
A suggestion. Take an infrared thermometer with you to the dealer. Start bike and turn heat on. Monitor temp with infrared over time (say once a minute for ten minutes). Will give a good indication of heat up rate and temp achieved. If possible compare to another 18+ bike. I've got an aftermarket on otherwise I'd do for you.

Perhaps one of our board members with stock seat can do this test and post results...

·
Vendor
22,069 Posts
I suspect some folks perception of "hot" is different from others. Heated gear isn't really supposed to make you feel hot, its intention is to knock down the coldness feel of sitting on a frozen seat. If you want your seat to feel like a hot plate when you sit on it, you may be expecting too much out of it. If you can feel any warmth from your seat then that would indicate to me that it is probably working as designed. Also be aware that heavy winter riding pants will greatly reduce how much heat gets transmitted through your clothing.

Honda put thermisters in the seat to keep from burning up the heating element or the seat. As the seat warms up the thermisters tell the controller to reduce the current flow through the heating element (by changing the pulse width modulation).

·
Registered
208 Posts
A suggestion. Take an infrared thermometer with you to the dealer. Start bike and turn heat on. Monitor temp with infrared over time (say once a minute for ten minutes). Will give a good indication of heat up rate and temp achieved. If possible compare to another 18+ bike. I've got an aftermarket on otherwise I'd do for you.

Perhaps one of our board members with stock seat can do this test and post results...
This is some really great advice. If I had one, I'd do out and do this right now. Hope somebody steps up here. And taking one to the stealership would be a great idea as well.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts