GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The seat heater works fine for the driver but the passenger seat and backrest are INOP. The rear seat heater switch was checked against the ETM Manual along with the thermistors and seat heater circuit. All checked ok against the book, next is wiring and the controller.

Was curious if anybody else ever had this problem and what the fix was?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I didn't have that problem until my cruise control module went out. After it was replaced I didn't have seat heat or grip heat. Found that they had left a cable unplugged under the seat and left a wire on the grips loose. This was at a very highly recommended Honda dealer. Still not sure my seat is heating because I don't know how hot it should be. My grips will get hot enough so you don't want to touch them. Wonder if the seat has a pressure switch? If so it wouldn't heat unless someone was sitting on it.:shrug:

·
Registered
214 Posts
07 nav comfort model
My dealer told me that there is a pressure switch in the seats, but there have been other members on the forums that have said that there was not pressure switches in the seats. I wish that some one could confirm or dis-afirm that.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
As far as I can tell by looking in the Honda service manual, there are no pressure switches in the seats.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Lets bump this again. AnyBody??????
Having spent far too many hours messing with the Honda system and studying the shop manual - before deciding to replace it Honda's overly complicated and trouble prone system - I can tell you that - at least on my 2006 model - there are absolutely no pressure switches incorporated in the seat heat system.

Brian

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,211 Posts
There's no pressure switches in the 09 either, part of the dealer setup before delivery is to turn on the heaters and check them for heating while the engine does it's ECM initialization. There's no mention of sitting on the bike while doing this and like already stated, there's NO pressure switches in the circuits.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The passenger (the aft part of the seat and back rest) use to heat, with no passenger needed. I could see the rear seat or the back rest not working, but both? Front seat heat works fine and will be doing troubleshooting to the next level. My guess is a broken wire to the controller, or a bad controller. I know the ambient temperature has to be cool enough to allow heated seat operation, this safe guard I know.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,211 Posts
Check the red/white wire on pin #5 of the controller, it is the only wire that is common to both rear heaters and would still let the grips and front heater work. Did you ohm out the rear heaters yet? They're in parallel so you will have to unplug one or the other to get an accurate measurement of them.

Another thought, if the rear seat heater burned open, then the controller would run the backrest even higher until it burned out since the rear thermistor can't read the backrest temp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts