GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all, new to this board.
We haven't picked up our 2004 Wing yet, and already have some questions. :)
We'd like to be able to both drive the Wing. I'm 5' 11" and have no problems, but my wife is 5' 4" and can't stand with both feet flat which bothers he so much she doesn't want to drive until we can get the seat height lower. The shop manager says that is is *extremely* inadvisable to change shocks due to changing the superb handling characteristics. He also mentioned that a local upholsterer can remove and/or change padding in the front seat which should allow her to stand flat-footed at stoplights while not compromising seat comfort for either of us.
Has anyone else done this? Or maybe done it in a different way?

Thanks,
AI_Nut

·
Registered
267 Posts
Congrats on the new Wing!!

Welcome to the board. There are several companies out there that will modify your seat or be happy to sell you a new lower more comfy seat. I suggest going to a rally where several of these vendors will attend, look around and sit on a few before you make a decision. There are gel seats, inflatable seats etc. Normally it is less expensive to have your seat modified and can be done while you wait.

·
Registered
498 Posts
AI_Nut,

Don't have an answer for you, but I do want to say

"Welcome to the Board"!

I'm sure someone will have tackled this task and will pop up with answers for you.

Paul H.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Good Luck........

I don't mean to burst your bubble here or nothing, but I don't think you will be able to get anything that willl take you that low. I tried and the most I could get from any seat manf. was about an inch ! I did have my seat re-done and did get a little lower, but I still need my work boots to get flat footed and I'm 5' 8 I think the dawg might be a bit shorter than I , maybe he will have an answer for ya. Getting right up on the tank might help a little also, but the balance thing would get a bit trickey. Good Luck !

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
A1 & The Misses,

Welcome to the board. This is the place to get opinions and once in awhile a solid answer...LOL

I am 5' 4 1/2" tall, no matter how many times I measure myself. Mike was right, that removing padding will get you close to 1" lower. There is not all that much cushion material between the cover and the seat pan.

If you go for the mod, you might want to see if they can and will narrow the front horn on the seat. This will help, with not having to spread so far to reach the ground.

I have been riding so long, that I have 20 pairs of boots, where the right foot has never seen the pavement...LOL

Good luck, in what ever you choose to do.

Bulldog

1 - 5 of 5 Posts