GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Must say, the Goldwing is much taller in the seat than I like. I'm 5'8" with a 32" inseam and I'm on my tip-toes when stopped. Don't like it much, especially when trying to push back or maneuver in tight places...makes it too easy to slip, already had a couple close calls. I don't want to go with lower links...I like my corners too much to sacrifice clearance! Are there any seats out there that give a lower seating position? I put a Corbin on my 09 Vmax which dropped you down about an 1" in the saddle. Any such seats out there for the Wing? Thanks, Jetman!

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Before spending$$$$ for a seat, try a local upholstery shop to lower/reshape the seat.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Before spending$$$$ for a seat, try a local upholstery shop to lower/reshape the seat.
Yeah, that was the next option I was thinking of. May lose a little comfort...but if that's what it takes, then that's what I'll have to do...

·
Chard Member
12,969 Posts
32" inseam and you are on your tip toes! Something ain't right.

Plenty of custom seats available. You can also have your seat edges trimmed.

Sent from iPhone

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have a 28.5" inseam and my feet are flat on the ground with boots on.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 28.5" inseam and my feet are flat on the ground with boots on.
Hmmmm, then why is mine so high? Something isn't right...I mean, I'm not really on my tip-toes but definitely on the balls of my feet. I'm no where near being flat footed on the ground! I got the rear preload set to the lowest setting (which I don't think affects height). I'll have to go sit on another Goldwing for comparison. I have a friend with a '10 model...I'll go throw a leg over his tomorrow & see.

·
Chard Member
12,969 Posts
Another thing I have seen done over the years is have thicker sole attached to your boots.

If you have 32" inseam there is no reason you shouldn't be able to flatfoot while in the seated position. Are you wearing shoes? lol Good luck.

Sent from iPhone

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, just for the sake of a sanity check. I stuck a tape measure to my crotch...30.5" (I wear 32" inseam jeans...I was going by that). Pulled the Goldwing off its side stand, balanced it to center, stuck the tape measure along side...30" un-ladened. Honda says 29" for its seat height, if I'm not mistaken. So, what gives...something up with the suspension?

·
Registered
900 Posts
I've a 30" inseam (trouser length) and a buddy has 32". Even though we're both 5'8" he can flat foot it, while I cannot (sitting on either his or my bike).

I pulled in behind another 1800 this weekend and noticed that he too had heels about an inch off the ground. It's not just the height of the bike, but the width of the seat that does it.

My first 1800 had floorboards and a heel/toe shifter that I had to take off because the leg spread to get outside the floorboards kept me at the top of my tiptoes. After going back to OEM pegs, I was still up on the balls of the feet, but at least I felt more stable. (My Kury mini-boards haven't hurt this at all.)

My move to a Wingsoft last year did help because it cut down a bit on the stride width.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Where is your suspension set at? Zero would be a good place to start?:roll:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hmmm, I'm 5'10" with 32" inseam and have Traxxion (set at about 6-8) and floor boards, and I'm just about as you describe. If I need to be flat footed I just scoot forward in the seat..... For long stop at intersections I fold the boards up..... Being doing it like that for years....:roll:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've a 30" inseam (trouser length) and a buddy has 32". Even though we're both 5'8" he can flat foot it, while I cannot (sitting on either his or my bike).

I pulled in behind another 1800 this weekend and noticed that he too had heels about an inch off the ground. It's not just the height of the bike, but the width of the seat that does it.

My first 1800 had floorboards and a heel/toe shifter that I had to take off because the leg spread to get outside the floorboards kept me at the top of my tiptoes. After going back to OEM pegs, I was still up on the balls of the feet, but at least I felt more stable. (My Kury mini-boards haven't hurt this at all.)

My move to a Wingsoft last year did help because it cut down a bit on the stride width.
Yeah, I think your right & I was thinking the same thing. Think I'll take the seat off & take it to an upholstery shop, have them take about 1/2" of foam out of it & add more scallop to leg sections. That should bring my legs in closer to the bike.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Ok, just for the sake of a sanity check. I stuck a tape measure to my crotch...30.5" (I wear 32" inseam jeans...I was going by that). Pulled the Goldwing off its side stand, balanced it to center, stuck the tape measure along side...30" un-ladened. Honda says 29" for its seat height, if I'm not mistaken. So, what gives...something up with the suspension?
I am 5'-8" and wear 36/29 Levi's. Crotch to floor is 30" and if I sit on my Wing wearing street shoes my heels are about 1" above the floor. Wearing my motorcycle boots, 1" heel, and with Dr. Scholl's arch supports which raises me another 1/4 inch I can flat foot at stop lights.

Wearing street shoes and standing flat footed holding the bike upright raises my butt slightly off the seat.

Removing some of the seat padding on each side where your thighs go beside the bike will add 1" to your reach and could be done without removing other padding from the seat area.

Rather than spend a ton of money modifying your seat you might look into boots with a thick sole and heel, or maybe some cool looking western boots or Wellingtons.

ps: changing the pre-load from 0 to max WILL raise the rear of the bike a little less than 2". Watch closely next time you change the setting.

gramps

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have a 29" in seam and have always been on my toes after 45 years of riding I have just gotten use to it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 29" in seam and have always been on my toes after 45 years of riding I have just gotten use to it.
Same here, I am only 5ft 6 and after 42 years of riding, I am used to it. But I have always worn riding boots with thick sores.
How I wish we can go back to the 70s where we can wear those high heels with plateforms again. Hahaha!!;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah, I think your right & I was thinking the same thing. Think I'll take the seat off & take it to an upholstery shop, have them take about 1/2" of foam out of it & add more scallop to leg sections. That should bring my legs in closer to the bike.
Oh Ya!! Maybe try a pair of boots with thicker sore b4 trimming the seat. Cheers

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Same here, I am only 5ft 6 and after 42 years of riding, I am used to it. But I have always worn riding boots with thick sores.
How I wish we can go back to the 70s where we can wear those high heels with plateforms again. Hahaha!!;)
Right on! Get some 70's platform shoe's....I'm gonna bring Disco back!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts