GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2012 with 8000 miles on it. Every GoldWing I've had before has served just fine in a mostly stock configuration. I have found that after about 100 miles on the 12 my butt starts feeling like it is on fire. Almost like the seat heaters are on. On my 07 I could easily do a 500 mile day without any major discomfort.

The only difference between this and my 07 is the material the seat is made of: like it is made of some kind of non-slip material. Assuming the seat is just as thick as my 07 and the problem isn't engine heat , I surmise the problem is my jeans are not sliding on the seat so my butt is creating friction heat build up between my underwear and jeans.

My question is will the seat eventually wear smooth ? I tried leather conditioner to no avail and am thinking about something like Armor All; anything to get me sliding on the seat more.

·
IronMan
17,104 Posts
Try some beads under $20 at walfarts

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I would not use Armor All on the saddle. I learned that mistake many years ago!

Beads or just a thin seat pad may be an answer.
For me the OEM saddle is just pushes my lower spine painfully fwd,. :eek:4:

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
226 Posts
I would not use Armor All on the saddle. I learned that mistake many years ago!

Beads or just a thin seat pad may be an answer.
For me the OEM saddle is just pushes my lower spine painfully fwd,. :eek:4:

Corventure Dave
Yeah the Armor All thing, got it at the Yamaha dealer I worked in the 70's, something new so thought it was a good idea to put it on my CB750 seat................WRONG. :eek:4: Did the Rollie Free thing.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input folks. hopefully I will get enough time this weekend to check it out and report back.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Definitely try the beads, IMHO, they resolved my hot spot and chafing issues completely.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
My 2016 is the same way. Unplugged the seat heaters and it doesn't make any difference.
The bead deal is like sitting on a bunch of rocks.

Got an Air Hawk and a Wally World pad and alternate them for some help.
Something different with the late model seats. Never had this problem with the early ones.

Barney

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Everything seems to be working like it's supposed to except my ass. I had beads before but think I will try an Air Hawk. What pad from Walmart are you talking about Barney?

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
Everything seems to be working like it's supposed to except my ass. I had beads before but think I will try an Air Hawk. What pad from Walmart are you talking about Barney?
Take a Look-See in Bed & Bath for cushions

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Kenichi, I will check them out. I got a pad that works OK but would like to find a better one.

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
Thanks Kenichi, I will check them out. I got a pad that works OK but would like to find a better one.
I failed to mention I will sometimes use the AirHawk on my Mustang I ain't got no Butt so I have to supplement sometimes!;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts