GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a simple way to align the four bolts that hold the seat down? I can repair/fix just about everything on the bike, but it takes me 30-60 minutes to get the seat bolts back in. I hate having to remove the seat because of the hassle of reinstalling it...

J.D.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
R&R of the seat is much easier w/the passenger backrest removed.
Make sure the rubber inserts are properly and fully seated in the seat.
With the rear of the seat elevated a few inches, insert the tabs on the front of the seat under the shelter pushing slightly forward. Lower the rear of the seat into place.
Using a flashlight so you can see the screw holes in the frame insert one screw without putting it through the arm rest and screw it in just a few turns. Now insert the other screw for the same side into the arm rest and thread the screw into the frame a few turns. Remove the 1st screw, rotate the armrest into position and insert the screw through the armrest and thread the screw into the frame a few turns. I usually have to push down on the seat slightly to align the seat holes to the holes in the frame.
Repeat on the other side. Then tightened all screws. Replace the passenger backrest. Takes about 5 to 10 minutes.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I run a scratch awl or small phillips screwdriver in the hold and then thread the bolt never had any problem that way. Just take your time and be patient

·
Registered
927 Posts
:agree:with driver10. It also helps to put a slight counter sink edge to the threaded holes in the bike frame.
Ken

·
Registered
19,440 Posts
R&R of the seat is much easier w/the passenger backrest removed.
Make sure the rubber inserts are properly and fully seated in the seat.
With the rear of the seat elevated a few inches, insert the tabs on the front of the seat under the shelter pushing slightly forward. Lower the rear of the seat into place.
Using a flashlight so you can see the screw holes in the frame insert one screw without putting it through the arm rest and screw it in just a few turns. Now insert the other screw for the same side into the arm rest and thread the screw into the frame a few turns. Remove the 1st screw, rotate the armrest into position and insert the screw through the armrest and thread the screw into the frame a few turns. I usually have to push down on the seat slightly to align the seat holes to the holes in the frame.
Repeat on the other side. Then tightened all screws. Replace the passenger backrest. Takes about 5 to 10 minutes.
This is the method I use

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I too had a terrible time.

Buy a wooden dowel at Home Depot. They have them virtually the same size as the seat bolts, cut or break into 4 pieces. You can taper them a bit with a pocket knife.

line up the saddle with 4 dowels. Then take a dowel out and do that bolt. Be sure to turn the bolt backwards with a bit of pressure until you feel it drop in to the threads. Then move on to the next one.

This method works pretty well.

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
Besides tapering the bolts, or buying the ones already tapered, I would also suggest running a tap through the threads on the frame to clean out some of the powdercoat. It seems to have worked very well on mine.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I too had a terrible time.

Buy a wooden dowel at Home Depot. They have them virtually the same size as the seat bolts, cut or break into 4 pieces. You can taper them a bit with a pocket knife.

line up the saddle with 4 dowels. Then take a dowel out and do that bolt. Be sure to turn the bolt backwards with a bit of pressure until you feel it drop in to the threads. Then move on to the next one.

This method works pretty well.
this is what I do as well - also use the tapered bolts mentioned above.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts