GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at the replacement seats for the 2021 DCT Tour. I like the Ultimate seat and its design.. little less pocket than the RDL. and they make their own seat pan and offer a tall boy for a 6'3 rider like me.. I like the driver backrest and its operation,,, all is well there... however I do not like the fact that you can't get the passenger back rest modified without their arm rest... I know you may say why not, all you want to do is add a arm rest anyway?

Well, I want to keep the option of being able to add a bolt on accessory like the gold strike arm rest with cup holder.. or maybe a future add on like a cell holder, or cubby box for the misses... On the ultimate back rest with their built in arm rest, it removes any future bolt on option. And the square "arm chair" look of the arm rest doesn't appeal to me. I like the look of the gold strike and the Kury's flip back arm rest option. On my 2005 i have the Kury arm rest that swing out. It has a swing out cup holder on the right and the cubby box on the left... the misses likes the cup holder, and sticking small stuff in the cubby like her cell phone, mints, chap stick etc. I've ran a usb charging cable to it and she can charge the phone and get to the phone while riding. On the 2021 there is no cubby spaces anymore for the passenger...

It would be nice for goldstrike or Kury, or someone to offer bolt on an arm rest with optional accessories like cup holder on one side, and a storage / cell phone cubby, charging port or other options for the other that could bolt on to the arm rest.. if gold strike can do a cup holder, a storage cubby/cell phone holder should not be too difficult.. eh?

If I pay to get the Ultimate passenger back rest, this would not be an option anymore. Ok, so If I just purchase the seat and not get the passenger back rest, the material will not match and i think that would not look very good since they changed the material for the 2021.. don't know how that would look together with the material mismatch. Besides, the misses would like a little more padding in the back rest for her so i'll need to get it modified anyway.. I've inquired to ultimate and their response was, we are working on the 2021 back rest and because it is different, it would be about 8-10 weeks before one is available. It will be same design as the 2018-2020 version with the arm rest... we will not offer without -. I just want it left as the original design, with same material as seat, with little more padding in passenger back area, is that to much to ask....

The passenger area lacks any storage like the 2005 had.. i'm finding out that even those small spaces were useful..

·
Registered
19,445 Posts
My comments. For me the cubby places on my 2010 are not missed. It's a motorcycle not a storage chest. I too am looking at the Ultimate Seat and had one on my 05 and 10 and based on my past experiences they make a fine seat. I ride I get thirsty then it is time to stop and rehydrate. I have had the Butler, Goldstrike drink holder. I don't need them or want them

And for the record Ultimate will recover your passanger seat with any pattern without and seat foam modifications

·
Registered
196 Posts
While I have and do like the Ultimate on my 2020 the heating issues have left a bad feeling towards them. If ever I get another seat it will be a RDL using the in person option. Going to California would be great until getting to California. We do miss the cubby places as they were great on the 2012 wing.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
My comments. For me the cubby places on my 2010 are not missed. It's a motorcycle not a storage chest. I too am looking at the Ultimate Seat and had one on my 05 and 10 and based on my past experiences they make a fine seat. I ride I get thirsty then it is time to stop and rehydrate. I have had the Butler, Goldstrike drink holder. I don't need them or want them

And for the record Ultimate will recover your passanger seat with any pattern without and seat foam modifications
That is not the response I got from them... when I asked on just recovering it with padding mod .. i got a no

On my 2005 I used my left passenger cubby. I installed a battery tender port there that doubled as a charging port for USB for passenger. Kept the cables nice in tidy when riding and handy when storing. And when riding with the misses.. the usb power cable was available for charging cell phone.

·
Registered
255 Posts
While I have and do like the Ultimate on my 2020 the heating issues have left a bad feeling towards them. If ever I get another seat it will be a RDL using the in person option. Going to California would be great until getting to California. We do miss the cubby places as they were great on the 2012 wing.
Hi, What issues did you have? I have a seat from them on the way. My last one lasted 18 years and it went with the VTX when I traded it in... but it didn't have heat.

Thanks,
J

·
Registered
452 Posts
Ultimate makes a quality product, but I decided against them because while much better than the stock seat, they are still a "one size fits most" solution. With my large (wide) body type I thought a custom seat made specifically for me was a better option and ended up buying a custom seat from Hartco. I did not re-cover the passenger backrest, and the match to the new seat is not bad at all. Not so easy with the new material on the 2021 seat I realize. I also don't ride with a passenger so i don't need armrests or cup holders on it, so the decision was easy. I love the Hartco rider backrest. It's incredibly comfortable and supportive.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
2021 DCT-Black
70 Posts
I've been looking at the replacement seats for the 2021 DCT Tour. I like the Ultimate seat and its design.. little less pocket than the RDL. and they make their own seat pan and offer a tall boy for a 6'3 rider like me.. I like the driver backrest and its operation,,, all is well there... however I do not like the fact that you can't get the passenger back rest modified without their arm rest... I know you may say why not, all you want to do is add a arm rest anyway?

Well, I want to keep the option of being able to add a bolt on accessory like the gold strike arm rest with cup holder.. or maybe a future add on like a cell holder, or cubby box for the misses... On the ultimate back rest with their built in arm rest, it removes any future bolt on option. And the square "arm chair" look of the arm rest doesn't appeal to me. I like the look of the gold strike and the Kury's flip back arm rest option. On my 2005 i have the Kury arm rest that swing out. It has a swing out cup holder on the right and the cubby box on the left... the misses likes the cup holder, and sticking small stuff in the cubby like her cell phone, mints, chap stick etc. I've ran a usb charging cable to it and she can charge the phone and get to the phone while riding. On the 2021 there is no cubby spaces anymore for the passenger...

It would be nice for goldstrike or Kury, or someone to offer bolt on an arm rest with optional accessories like cup holder on one side, and a storage / cell phone cubby, charging port or other options for the other that could bolt on to the arm rest.. if gold strike can do a cup holder, a storage cubby/cell phone holder should not be too difficult.. eh?

If I pay to get the Ultimate passenger back rest, this would not be an option anymore. Ok, so If I just purchase the seat and not get the passenger back rest, the material will not match and i think that would not look very good since they changed the material for the 2021.. don't know how that would look together with the material mismatch. Besides, the misses would like a little more padding in the back rest for her so i'll need to get it modified anyway.. I've inquired to ultimate and their response was, we are working on the 2021 back rest and because it is different, it would be about 8-10 weeks before one is available. It will be same design as the 2018-2020 version with the arm rest... we will not offer without -. I just want it left as the original design, with same material as seat, with little more padding in passenger back area, is that to much to ask....

The passenger area lacks any storage like the 2005 had.. i'm finding out that even those small spaces were useful..
I'm trying a Wingsoft from Bike Solutions in TX. Don't have it back yet, maybe tomorrow. Shipping was costly with UPS at $154 from Idaho to TX.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hi, What issues did you have? I have a seat from them on the way. My last one lasted 18 years and it went with the VTX when I traded it in... but it didn't have heat.

Thanks,
J
It did not heat very well on mine. Maximum really was only lower than warm. Other customers had excessive heat.

I helped the Technician develop a solution and tested it extensively on my seat. After several visits to their shop we dialed in the correct changes and it now matches the stock seat temperatures for each bike setting. The fix is now in their seats so you should be fine. The test fixture they posted was thanks to my work. They couldn't get past the bike rejecting the many fixes they tried. After all the research, trial and tuning I did of the seat I had seen the owner walk by many times. Never once did he say thank you or don't worry we'll get your seat fixed. The only one that was actually really pleasant was the Tech. He certainly welcomed the help and thanked me. He loves the work and it shows. They borrowed my stock seat for a month and the fix on my Ultimate seat is using parts I purchased. But Des just gave me ugly looks. Never expected that. But all I wanted was my seat fixed and I got that (I enjoy electronics this was fun). I shared my fix with them without reservation.

Years ago on the Valkyrie seat he was friendly. Oh well.

Yeah Ultimate seats are pretty good, but next time I'll try something else first. Hopefully your seat should be fine, if not maybe consider the return policy.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I'm trying a Wingsoft from Bike Solutions in TX. Don't have it back yet, maybe tomorrow. Shipping was costly with UPS at $154 from Idaho to TX.
I got the Wingsoft modification for mine and like it. I've also bought LD Comfort motorcycle underwear and that has made a huge difference.

I'm in Eagle, where in Idaho are you?

·
Registered
255 Posts
It did not heat very well on mine. Maximum really was only lower than warm. Other customers had excessive heat.

I helped the Technician develop a solution and tested it extensively on my seat. After several visits to their shop we dialed in the correct changes and it now matches the stock seat temperatures for each bike setting. The fix is now in their seats so you should be fine. The test fixture they posted was thanks to my work. They couldn't get past the bike rejecting the many fixes they tried. After all the research, trial and tuning I did of the seat I had seen the owner walk by many times. Never once did he say thank you or don't worry we'll get your seat fixed. The only one that was actually really pleasant was the Tech. He certainly welcomed the help and thanked me. He loves the work and it shows. They borrowed my stock seat for a month and the fix on my Ultimate seat is using parts I purchased. But Des just gave me ugly looks. Never expected that. But all I wanted was my seat fixed and I got that (I enjoy electronics this was fun). I shared my fix with them without reservation.

Years ago on the Valkyrie seat he was friendly. Oh well.

Yeah Ultimate seats are pretty good, but next time I'll try something else first. Hopefully your seat should be fine, if not maybe consider the return policy.
Ah bummer man, sorry to hear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts