GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from a couple of days at Daytona Bike and come to the realization, that I need a little more cushion for the seat. However, before going the custom seat route, share your input if you use a brand of seat cushion. Include where you purchased it and your general impressions of it. Furthermore, if you have recommendations for highway pegs, include that info as well.

For those of you who have experimented with both highway peg and floorboards, which do you prefer? Any pros or cons?

Thanks in advance,

Anderson

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
Lots has to do what size you are. Japs made bike and most short legged !!! I have 29 inch inseam and seat is great for me !i use beads ! Tried the wafflepad. Live in florida n between summer rain n gettin it wet and the heat tried the beads n good to go. I do have utopia backrest and kury pegs. Keep my pegs high. Can straighten my legs out n get butt off the seat !! Put heel on top peg and air shoots up pantleg! Some use gel pads - saddleman /ultimate/hartco etc seats . Good luck ! Miles = smiles

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
When traveling, I carry a few options with me..
  • Wal-Mart waffle pad
  • Wooden bead seat cover
  • furry seat cover (to stop sweating) and
  • I also carry a 1.500 inch thick padded seat.
When I feel like it, I stop and switch one option for another. If my butt begins to hurt, I pull over and may even "double up" on the options...

When I know I will be riding for a long periods (Freeway with full tank) I always place the 1.500 inch thick pad on the seat. This thing really helps.
When I get to a place where I stop, I just place the 1.500 inch thick pad in the trunk, or side bag. The other options I added hooks on stretch cord and fasten them to the underside of the seat and leave them in place most of the time, except when raining

·
Registered
896 Posts
My own personal preferences:

Airhawk-R or Alaska Sheepskin and a B&G Seat Cover. Either of the first two and any combination with the third make the ride MUCH more enjoyable without having to sell the livestock to raise the money. Or any one of the three makes a significant difference.

On highway pegs - Mick-O Pegs - hands down.

And Kuryakyn mini-boards for foot pegs.

Everything above can be purchased for less than a custom seat and addresses more than just the backside. And is transferrable to the next bike if desired.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I know you asked about seat pads,but here is my humble opinion.All the money that you spend on pads,beads,sheepskins etc... would be better put towards a better seat,because eventually that is where you'll end up if you keep the bike long enough.All the other options are short term,temporary, get by for now fixes IMHO.Been there done that.Wasted more time and money on stock seats(on different size Wings) than I care to admit.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I've come to the conclusion that a firmer seat is better than a soft one plus padding. I believe a really soft padded seat simply stretches the skin on your butt as it sinks into the padding and this produces the discomfort. The best seat I ever had was a Corbin that I used on two different ST1100s that I put over 150K miles on. It was fairly flat and firm but was comfortable for 700 miles a day. It's hard to apply anything to a seat to make it firmer so it's difficult to experiment. I believe most aftermarket seats use firmer padding.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I'll also suggest the "Air Hawk-R"! :thumbup:

I have a Hartco Pro-Tour seat and still use my Air Hawk-R to add further 'adjustable' comfort. Best accessory I've purchased!

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Alternating between the Beadrider Ultimate pad (cooling air flow and increased surface area) and the Walmart Relaxation Pad (soft cushioning) allows me to ride all day in relative comfort. Total cost for both: $75. total.

To me, it's ludicrous to spend $1400. on a custom seat that MAY or MAY NOT be the "end-all". I once spent good money on a Mustang custom cruiser seat, and it was a killer! Had to switch back to the OEM seat to even ride short distances. JMO, as one of the resident cheapskates here.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Alternating between the Beadrider Ultimate pad (cooling air flow and increased surface area) and the Walmart Relaxation Pad (soft cushioning) allows me to ride all day in relative comfort. Total cost for both: $75. total.

To me, it's ludicrous to spend $1400. on a custom seat that MAY or MAY NOT be the "end-all". I once spent good money on a Mustang custom cruiser seat, and it was a killer! Had to switch back to the OEM seat to even ride short distances. JMO, as one of the resident cheapskates here.
You don't have to spend anywhere nere $1400 for a good seat.Any aftermarket seat is way better than stock and considering the money people waste on shiny stuff they'd be better off spending $1400 for a seat.Here's a Hartco that I paid $420 for new with the backrest included.They're out there you just have to look around.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I know you asked about seat pads,but here is my humble opinion.All the money that you spend on pads,beads,sheepskins etc... would be better put towards a better seat,because eventually that is where you'll end up if you keep the bike long enough.All the other options are short term,temporary, get by for now fixes IMHO.Been there done that.Wasted more time and money on stock seats(on different size Wings) than I care to admit.
yes i agree... buy a seat ride on russell day long sure solved my problems,,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Long in the saddle

I have an 83 that I rode a couple of Iron Butt rides on. After 20 years the padding was shot. I tried the waffle pad from Walmart and it helped. My favorite was the Air Hawk. They are pricey but a nice feature is you can change the amount of padding by adjusting the amount of air. I had a friend that rides a trike and her solution was to carry a combination of pads that she would change between stops. Each one would alter the pressure points that were being effected allowing her to travel farther. She even carried one of those donuts you see old people using at times. Personally I usually don't have the extra room available to carry the extra equipment. I tried beads and really the only thing they do is help to keep your butt dry so it doesn't get as irritated. Powder or synthetic underwear helps draw away the sweat. I use LD Comfort brand.

I purchased a new seat from Hartco and that was the solution that worked. The real reason why the after market seats are better is because they shaped to provide proper support not just offer better padding. What you need is a big wide tractor style seat that will support your whole butt and the top of your thighs. The extra support is what makes all day in the saddle possible. Padding does not give you the extra support you really need. My new saddle was wider by over three inches. The one issue you need to be aware of with more support for your thighs it will make it a little more difficult to put your seat down during a stop. Usually you will just need to roll forward in the saddle to get your feet flat on the ground.

As far as floor boards vs pegs go, my 83 has floor boards with heel toe shifter. For the most part I really like that since it gives you a (limited) amount of space to shift your feet around on long rides. If you wear an riding boot with a heel (engineer's boot) I have noticed that it does put your feet at an unnatural angle when you have them resting flat on the floorboard. I only really notice it on the really long rides (500+ miles). My new wing still has the pegs and I am planning on doing a couple of long rides in a few weeks before I decide to swap to boards.

I prefer highway pegs over boards because it gives you more options of changing the angle of your legs, knees and ankles. With a peg you can rest the peg between the sole and heel or rest the heel of the boot on top of it or lay you calf on top of it. When riding long distances you really just need to change your position to keep from cramping up. With a highway board the edges are too sharp to be comfortable to lay your legs on top of them. Plus the board will keep your foot at a set angle.

I hope this helps

·
Registered
56 Posts
I took the cover off my 12 and cut a v out where my tailbone is and put softer foam there,then i put a half inch of denss foam over the rest helped greatly on long rides. I have always used beads in hot weather and long rides.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts