GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has the Travelcade Roadsofa installed on their 1800?

Likes and dislikes about this seat?

Had the Russell daylong ordered but canceled it due to amount of money it would have cost by the time you add the backrest and the dual heaters.

Thank's,

·
Registered
115 Posts
I don't know anything about the Travelcade, but have you considered a Diamond? I don't know whether they do heated seats or not, as I had no need for that, but they were easy to deal with, and the price was sure fair. I can't think of anything I dislike about mine, it is a HUGE improvement over the OEM seat for me, and my wife reports the same thing about hers. :D

·
Registered
787 Posts
I'm 5'10" 194lbs and my wife is 5'4" 113lbs. We have had our Travelcade for only a few months. Neither of us would go back to the stock seat with the Utopia backrest. I had to install MLB adapters because the Travelcade moved me about an inch or so back. The stock handle bar position started to give me a slight pain between my shoulders after a few hundred miles on the Travelcade.

Pro:
1. Seat is more firm and offers more back and side support allowing us to
ride twice as long without discomfort.
2. The neck is more narrow which makes it easier to touch the ground flat
footed.
3. It did not require any lengthy break in time for either of us to feel
comfortable.
4. Travelcade does not require your stock seat as they use their own
fiberglass seat pan.
5. The Travelcade is easier to install and remove than the stock seat.

Con: (very minor)
1. The seat rubs on the top shelter causing a squeak when I move around.
2. Saddle gel absorbs heat if left in the sun for long periods. It feels nice
in the winter, but I may have to cover the seat this summer.
3. The fit on the side of the seat against the side covers is not ideal. I
would like to have it 1/2 an inch longer right above the saddlebag scuff
covers.

All said and done, I'm not sorry I made the switch.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have a The Hartco version of the diamond. It has viscoelastic foam instead of gel. It is just as comfortable, but does not get hot in the summer sun. Fit was perfect and it was comfortable from day one. It was custom sized to fit me. Very satisfied with the service.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank's everyone for all the input

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
boy howdy the seat issue is very subjective

everyone is so different, even with several good reviews, you still may not like a certain seat

i put a corbin on my st1100 just after i got it home

i read this and that and everyone raved about how great it was

i found it wasnt really very great for me at all

about all i could suggest is make some friends--then try their seat out for a couple hours

loren

·
Registered
676 Posts
Hello Shooter, Nice to see that you and I both know that the 02 Black 1800 ABS is the best 1800 of all. But regarding the cost of Russel products, I have more info I hope may help. I recently purchased a Russel single bucket seat with leather inserts in both front and rear seat areas and black vinyl in the seat sides. I reused my Custom Chrome rider backrest (Utopia type) since I didn't like the looks of the Russel backrest system. I also reused the stock vinyl in both the rider backrest and the passenger backrest. The match between the new leather/vinyl and the stock vinyl on Custom Chrome backrest and stock Honda passenger backrest is very good for me. I suppose some could find differences under microscope but in real world the match in color and texture is fine for me. Cost of Russel seat was $600 and Custom Chrome backrest was $160. Considering exceptional comfort, quality, and warranty, I do believe the price is very fair. So far with new seat I have completed one BB1500 and I am very pleased. I think some 1800 riders may be spending more of their seat money on recovering backrest vinyl than is necessary.

G

·
Hey Shooter...

I just joined the GWRRA at the Bike show last year. Is there a standard meeting of GW in the metroplex :?:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Jimmy, For GWRRA info rec'm checking www.gwrra.org the national web site then go to chapter links. Should find all info you need. A better place to ask this would be a new topic on the general board. John

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm also considering a Travelcade seat. I like their split cushion design an lumbar support. Had a Diamond on my other wing so I know what it's about. Would like to hear from more Travelcade owners and what they think of the seat.
Randy F

1 - 10 of 10 Posts