GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will all 2001-2010 seats interchange? I also seen a post 01 thru 10 will fit a2012. I have a 12 and found a 05 seat cheap and want to have a Russell built. Want to make sure it will fit.

Thanks Smitty

·
Registered
656 Posts
They all the same. Although some of the 06-12s are heated.

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
They all the same. Although some of the 06-12s are heated.
Incorrect.

'01-'10 are interchangeable except like you said about the heated seats.

The '12 is different. A '12 seat will NOT fit on a '01-'10. The painted side covers get in the way.

A '01-'10 will fit on a '12 but you will have a "nasty" gap between the seat and the painted side covers.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Bart, have you actually physically seen a 2012 fit onto an earlier bike? I have been considering buying a 2012 seat for my 02. If the side panels are the only limitation, they can be easily trimmed down to match the earlier bikes.

Side by side, I can't see a difference other than the side panels. But you never know if everything else is identical until you actually try it.

The price difference between an aftermarket seat and the OEM is so great that if the 2012 seat really is more comfortable like Honda claims, it might be the best option for me. (My old seat is torn, and I want a little more support)

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
From those that I've heard from that have seen the '12 and '10 seats, they say they are quite different.

Can't confirm that myself from seeing them in person but from those that have seen them, I'm hearing the '12 will NOT fit the earlier model's.

It looks as though even with the same powertrain, Honda has made significant body/electrical changes in '12.

Bart, have you actually physically seen a 2012 fit onto an earlier bike? I have been considering buying a 2012 seat for my 02. If the side panels are the only limitation, they can be easily trimmed down to match the earlier bikes.

Side by side, I can't see a difference other than the side panels. But you never know if everything else is identical until you actually try it.

The price difference between an aftermarket seat and the OEM is so great that if the 2012 seat really is more comfortable like Honda claims, it might be the best option for me. (My old seat is torn, and I want a little more support)

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
Larry,

Actually, I have tried it. The seat does fit but you cannot get it on the bike with the stock side covers on the bike.

The mounting points for the seat onto the frame are the same. The handles are the same. The sides of the seat though are completely different to conform to the new panels of the '12. Also, the '12 panels will not fit onto the '01-'10. Tried that as well.

It would take a LOT more than just a "little trimming" to make the '12 seat work with the '01-'10 painted side covers. The difference between those covers is huge.

Before I would go to all that trouble Larry, I would either find another used seat from later model that someone has for sale. Those you can usually picked up for about $100. That or have John at Big Bike Solutions redo your seat. I guarantee his seats are mush more comfortable than a '12 seat and he would probably do it cheaper than buying a new seat. Even you're local upholstery shop should be able to redo your seat.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
:thumbup:
Thanks for the explanation of WHY the seats aren't interchangable. :bow:

Larry,

Actually, I have tried it. The seat does fit but you cannot get it on the bike with the stock side covers on the bike.

The mounting points for the seat onto the frame are the same. The handles are the same. The sides of the seat though are completely different to conform to the new panels of the '12. Also, the '12 panels will not fit onto the '01-'10. Tried that as well.

It would take a LOT more than just a "little trimming" to make the '12 seat work with the '01-'10 painted side covers. The difference between those covers is huge.

Before I would go to all that trouble Larry, I would either find another used seat from later model that someone has for sale. Those you can usually picked up for about $100. That or have John at Big Bike Solutions redo your seat. I guarantee his seats are mush more comfortable than a '12 seat and he would probably do it cheaper than buying a new seat. Even you're local upholstery shop should be able to redo your seat.

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
Here are a couple of side by side pictures that will help explain also.

Notice on the 2010 (Yellow) how the sides of the seat next to the painted side panel runs parallel to the ground while on the 2012 (White), the side of the seat slopes down severely next to the painted side panel.

Also, notice where the painted side panel meets the "gas tank". It's much different on the '10 than on the '12. Hence why the side panels are not interchangeable.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for the help. I did buy a seat off a non heated model, I think a 04-05. It will be in the for sale section.

Smitty:cry:

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Thanks a bunch for taking the time to explain all that Bartman.

That is pretty much what I had noticed as well. I was mainly concerned with the mounts. If the side panels are the only limitation, I am confident I can make it work by peeling back the vinyl, cutting down the sides and make them run parallel to the ground to match my side covers.

The angle at the tank looks different in the pictures. But I save both those pics and played around in Photoshop, overlaying the old seat onto the new bike, and the angles are identical. It was only an illusion. The only angle that is different is the one that is over the side cover.

I had contacted John and he sent me the prototype pictures of his new seat covers. I promised him I would not share the pics or his target price since it isn't released yet. It really looks nice. But the cost of the cover plus modifying the foam will still get into a lofty range I want to avoid.

I had thought about buying a used seat. But I don't want to end up with somebody else's partially worn seat. You don't see low mileage ones very often.

I have been going over just about every option for about a year now, ever since the current seat started tearing. I even though about attempting to rebuild the foam myself. The cost of the pre-2012 seat is only $281. If the new seat is even in the ballpark of that price, I can do that.

It's not that I'm cheap. I have been laid off twice in the last two years, and am right now only working a temp job that the contract is up at the end of this month. Non emergency big buck purchases are just not part of the budget right now. I have to live within my means.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just my opimion but I hope you are alot smaller than my 6ft, 300lb frame. I have had a Diamond seat on my last couple 1800's and maybe that spoiled me but with 3200 miles on my 2012 that seats got to go. Or at least have those horns cut off that are poking me in the cheeks and pushing me forward.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Yes, by quite a bit. I think that is one of the biggest problems with reading about various experiences with seats. Honda no doubt built a seat on the previous bikes that was designed for riders that are much lighter than the average Wing Rider. The seat feels nice and cushy on the showroom floor, but once you sit in it for a 10 hour day, you are sitting on the pan.

I am overweight, but not by a lot. So far, most people have said that the new seat is indeed more substantial than the old seat, and that might be enough for me, although I admit that it is still a chance I am taking.

I have never questioned the comfort of seats like the ones from Diamond, Russel, Travelcade, etc. I'm sure I would love any one of them. I would love to have a Lincoln MKZ too. But I can't justify buying one of those either. :lol: If someone could rebuild my seat for more comfort and put a new cover on it for the price of a new OEM seat, I would consider it. But by the time you add up all the little things, all the options just get too expensive.

Then again, if this economy would get straightened out so that I can get a job paying what I used to make, this all becomes a moot point. I ain't holding my breath however.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts