GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, great site. I have been looking for a Goldwing site and this seems to be the best I’ve found.

Second, a little history about myself so as not to be considered a troll (hopefully). I am 47 years old and been riding steadily since I was 8. I’ve owned over 35 motorcycles ranging from a Honda Z-50 (my first bike and also currently own one) to a Yamaha FJR1300ABS (which I now own and is for-sale if anyone wants one). I raced AMA hare scrambles for years and also dabbled in motocross. I’ve had numerous sport-bikes as well as dual-purpose bikes. I like bikes.

Ok, why I’m here? I’m ready for a wing. Now, my question to the membership is, when I sit on one I feel cramped. I’m 6’4 and 260 pounds. What can be done to make it more…….ah, not comfortable, that’s not it…I feel that I can’t move when I’m on one, maybe it comes from riding sport bikes and moving around on the seat, I don’t know. To me it feels like I’m being pushed forward. My knees are up against the fairing. Can padding be removed from the rear of the seat, so I can slide back a bit? Or are people getting custom seats? I am familiar with that; I think I paid for Corbins new building in Daytona ..lol. I have also spent some money with Sargent. Anyway, this is not to rag on the wing, it’s to try and make it where it will better suit my needs. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

In closing, I don’t want to piss people off but I’m sure this will. Take this from someone who has ridden a lot. The “WOBBLE” problem….lol,(sorry). Ok, two handle bars, two hands; I have been riding for years and have never found there is any time that anything is so important while I’m riding that I can’t have at least one hand on the bars, ok? Next, if you go to buy a bike, do some research. If some of you had, you would know that some wings “wobble” more than others (supposedly). Do a test ride, if you can’t convince the dealer to let you do so, go somewhere else. If the reason you can’t convince him to let you is your riding experience, maybe this isn’t the bike for you. JMO. Btw, I just got off the phone with my brother who has a 04 wing and as much time in the saddle as me and he said “hell, I don’t know if it shakes or not”. He has almost 50,000 miles on his. Guess he rides with his hands on the bars.

Long first post huh? Sorry……….Let the flaming begin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,625 Posts
Well xx ? Just jump right in feet first !..... :) A lot of guys have gone the new/differant seat route. And they install pegs that allow there legs to stretch out. There's quite a few guys that are as big or bigger than you, and they have found ways to make there riding more enjoyable. I'm sure you will get more responces. Sooooo welcome to the "Best" Goldwing board on the net.............. :beer2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,398 Posts
xxlr8 said:
First of all, great site. I have been looking for a Goldwing site and this seems to be the best I’ve found.

Second, a little history about myself so as not to be considered a troll (hopefully). I am 47 years old and been riding steadily since I was 8. I’ve owned over 35 motorcycles ranging from a Honda Z-50 (my first bike and also currently own one) to a Yamaha FJR1300ABS (which I now own and is for-sale if anyone wants one). I raced AMA hare scrambles for years and also dabbled in motocross. I’ve had numerous sport-bikes as well as dual-purpose bikes. I like bikes.

Ok, why I’m here? I’m ready for a wing. Now, my question to the membership is, when I sit on one I feel cramped. I’m 6’4 and 260 pounds. What can be done to make it more…….ah, not comfortable, that’s not it…I feel that I can’t move when I’m on one, maybe it comes from riding sport bikes and moving around on the seat, I don’t know. To me it feels like I’m being pushed forward. My knees are up against the fairing. Can padding be removed from the rear of the seat, so I can slide back a bit? Or are people getting custom seats? I am familiar with that; I think I paid for Corbins new building in Daytona ..lol. I have also spent some money with Sargent. Anyway, this is not to rag on the wing, it’s to try and make it where it will better suit my needs. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

In closing, I don’t want to piss people off but I’m sure this will. Take this from someone who has ridden a lot. The “WOBBLE” problem….lol,(sorry). Ok, two handle bars, two hands; I have been riding for years and have never found there is any time that anything is so important while I’m riding that I can’t have at least one hand on the bars, ok? Next, if you go to buy a bike, do some research. If some of you had, you would know that some wings “wobble” more than others (supposedly). Do a test ride, if you can’t convince the dealer to let you do so, go somewhere else. If the reason you can’t convince him to let you is your riding experience, maybe this isn’t the bike for you. JMO. Btw, I just got off the phone with my brother who has a 04 wing and as much time in the saddle as me and he said “hell, I don’t know if it shakes or not”. He has almost 50,000 miles on his. Guess he rides with his hands on the bars.

Long first post huh? Sorry……….Let the flaming begin.
Welcome. This is the best Goldwing site PERIOD. The others are not worth looking at.

Second-If you feel cramped you can go the route of highway bars or floorboards. You can custom make the seat lower with less foam and more stiffness although I know ALOT of riders your height who are fine with the bikes ergonomics. But if you feel cramped than something should be addressed.Most dealers cannot let people ride the bike to see if one is different from another. They would all be used demonstrators then. I personally think most wings develope a small decelleration wobble due to non tapered bearings that effects a bike with 4-6K on the front tires at a 40 mph deleration. This can easily be fixed with tapered bearings and sometimes a different or newer front tire. Most who are in the market for a touring bike and test ride a goldwing do buy one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
495 Posts
xxlr8, there are alot of options out there. After a bit of lurking among the posts about Corbin, Diamond, and Wingsoft, I thought I'd try Wingsoft first. I'm glad I did.

Now I'm only one opinion, and I'm sure others will let you know their feelings, but I've put over 6K on the seat since August and I can tell you, for me, it's a huge improvement over stock at a very reasonable price.

I'm nowhere near your height, but their website says that the Wingsoft Large may be what you might be looking for. It moves the backrest back so you have more room to stretch.

Give them a call if your interested and I'm sure they can answer any questions.

Wingsoft Seats
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,299 Posts
xxlr8 said:
...Let the flaming begin.
In trying to read between your lines, I'm of the opinion that a Wing is not the bike for you.

If you just have your heart set on a touring bike, then take a look at other brands...BMW, Harley, Yamaha to name a few.

Good luck in your search!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,457 Posts
I'm 5-11 and think the perfect size for a GL1800. I know that taller riders can and do ride the wing but if I were 6-4, I'd get one of these (I may get one anyway):



arn butt bill on this forum is a pretty big guy and will likely chime in. He rides a lot of miles with his wife on the back of his wing.
I was at a BMW dealer a few months ago looking at the GS and another wing rider and his wife came in. He was over 6ft tall and said he just can't get comfortable on the wing and was thinking of getting a GS.
Ride one a bit and see how it feels. The GS adventure does have the larger windscreen and fuel tank to go with the higher seat height. Its also quite $$$ but maybe you could look at a 1150 GSA.
Let us know what you do.

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,133 Posts
Red Willy said:
Red is right. Read Dan's post. I'm 6'7", 270lbs with a 36" inseam. When I first got my wing, my knees were rubbing the front lower fairing. My best investment in comfort was my Diamond Big Boy seat. After that was to install REG Risers. Those two options now allow me to ride all day in relative comfort (I have lower back problems that nothing will fix).

In order of significance, here are my best investments for me being comfortable (my personal choices are in parens):

1. New seat (Diamond Big Boy)
2. Risers (REG Risers)
3. Highway Pegs (****-O-Pegs)
4. Leg Wings - pulls the heat away from my legs (Butler)
5. Mirror wings - cuts the buffeting since I sit back further (Tulsa)

Just my .02...

Bartman
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,988 Posts
First of all, welcome to the site.

To answer your question, I don't see that the Wing isn't for you. I understand that you want to solve a problem with a bike that you apparently like. That's not a bad thing. Most of the people on this and other boards have modified their Wing's in some manner or other so as to make it fit them or their personalities better than the stock condition.

I have a Russell Daylong saddle that is custom made for me. They will make your seat to fit your specific needs as to height, weight, inseam, etc. Choice #2 would be either the Diamond Big Boy or the Wing Soft Solutions seat mod, size large. It's the least expensive seat mod out there, I believe. Ultimate seats, located in Canada, apparently has a good seat, made to fit you, but it's very spendy.

Whatever your problem may be, there is a solution for it. DO check out Dan Duffy's website, above. He's got lots of great stuff there regarding making your Gold Wing comfortable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
931 Posts
Cheapskate approach, do it yourself Mongo modification:

Cut off the foam collar and add 2 inches foam under the vinyl. Cost $5. Puts you 2 inches up and 2 inches back:



Wingsoft will do the same for you at a good price if you cannot sew
up the vinyl yourself.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter #13
DT said:
xxlr8 said:
...Let the flaming begin.
In trying to read between your lines, I'm of the opinion that a Wing is not the bike for you.

If you just have your heart set on a touring bike, then take a look at other brands...BMW, Harley, Yamaha to name a few.

Good luck in your search!
Thanks everyone for the quick response, though I'm not sure what the above post means. Generally when you do a first post you are flamed, that’s why I included that line in my post. Why would you "assume" the wing is not for me? I have tried and have owned most others bikes. I'm just wondering how you came to this conclusion from my post. And I mean this as a serious question.

The GS is a really nice bike; I have never ridden one but have sat on many. This would be my second choice. Deep down I know I will get the wing.

Again, thanks to all. I will keep you posted.

Btw, Mongo, that’s what I'm looking for. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,012 Posts
I am 6'5" tall and weigh over 350. The stock seat is a killer and soon I will have wingsoft do a mod for me. Haven't found anyone who has one so I will try my luck. Lots cheaper than spending $900-$1200 for a custom seat. Will it work? Don't know yet, time will tell.

Welcome to the board and have fun and ride the wing like to stole it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
xxlr8,

I doubt if the GL1800 'is not for you'. I bought one this spring and I think it is a great all around bike. A big bike for sure, but that's not a problem. I am 'only 6'2", but I also think that the cockpit is a bit cramped.

I plan on trying out the Wing Soft seat mod. They say that if one is not happy with the results, they will restore it to stock.

Good luck with your Wing if you decided to purchase one. I'm confident that you will enjoy it.

p.s. My dealer offered a test ride on a used one, but I declined his offer and just went ahead a bought one. Happy I did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,613 Posts
wingman57 said:
I am 6'5" tall and weigh over 350. The stock seat is a killer and soon I will have wingsoft do a mod for me. Haven't found anyone who has one so I will try my luck. Lots cheaper than spending $900-$1200 for a custom seat. Will it work? Don't know yet, time will tell.
If I had bought the Wingsoft before having tried out a seat that moved me up and back farther than Wingsoft, I may have been satisfied. However, since I had tried out the other, the Wingsoft was not nearly as satisfactory as the others

Whether you or anyone else would feel the same is beyond my ability to predict. But both my Diamond Big Boy and my Russell Day Long were less cramped.

Also, remember that the Wingsoft Large cannot be returned for a refund.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
I'm 6'3" have a wingsoft large seat, Rivco boards with kick shifter and Kury 4058 highway boards. Very comfortable, can ride all day. Also have the F4 +4 windshield to cut the head buffetting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
seat

My 1800 is very comfortable now, thanks to the assistance of Dan Duffy. I installed a Diamond Big Boy seat set back 3 inches along with ****-O-Pegs. I can now ride tank to tank in comfort which I COULD NOT DO until I made these changes. I am 6ft. 4in./ 245 lbs. and the stock seat cramped me forward on the bike and gave little support for the butt/legs. This was not comfortable at all. I hate to park my bike now since it is so comfortable to ride. Thanks again Dan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,299 Posts
xxlr8 said:
...I'm just wondering how you came to this conclusion from my post. And I mean this as a serious question...
I don't mean to sound flip but I'm drawing upon years of training and experience working with lots of clients helping them answer questions much like yours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,179 Posts
Haven't heard from you for a while, Mongo. Glad you're still with us.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top