GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can get the bolts to start. Everything looks like its line up but I cant get either side to start? Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Welcome to Goldwing seats.
Try using long screwdriver to get one side in place to start opposite side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2019 Tour DCT Red
165 Posts
Back in the day for my 2005 Wing I purchased the seat bolts that have the pointy tips from somewhere and it helped greatly for the seat re-install process.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I bought the tapered replacement bolts for mine because of this issue. No problems starting them now.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The bolts with the points work better than any method. I ground the bolts down on my '04 and they couldn't be easier to renstall.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Traxxion Dynamics has replacement bolts for the 2018+. If you have a bench grinder, grab a bolt with a set of locking pliers and do it yourself. Or, just don't use the bolts. My seat hasn't left the bike no matter how fast or slow I ride. Hasn't walked away when I'm not on it either.

Reactions: Sniper60 and Roamer

·
Registered
17,207 Posts
Start at the beginning. Remove your saddle and try the fasteners right there in plain sight to be sure the threads are still good. Then try the fasteners again in plain sight this time slowly turning the bolts backward (CCW) until you feel/hear a little "click" which is the threads mating. At the little click begin normal rotation (CW). That was practice. Spray some silicone lube on the frame rails were the seat beds and slides, Guide the wire harness and then align the seat and push the seat fully back into position; thump it with your elbow if you must. Make sure the front plastic retainer of the seat is in its coupling. Now use that phillips or JIS driver to check the bolt hole alignment. If/when aligned, reverse rotate the bolts to hear/feel the click and then tighten to just snug.

prs

·
Registered
132 Posts
Early on I had this incredibly frustrating experience myself a couple of times.
What I learned is that although the seat looked to be seated correctly, one side was not under the “clip” as it should have been. When looking carefully from the side It could be seen.
Removed the seat, positioned it correctly when sliding it back and the factory bolts have been simple to start and place.

·
Registered
498 Posts
#1 Make sure the white tab on the seat is not caught on the left saddle bag cover.

#2 Get seat in place, sit on it and wiggle around vigorously with purposeful intention of moving seat towards the rear. Get off and put bolts in.

3# Don't overlook #1.

·
Premium Member
Honda Goldwing 2020, Matte Black and Red
486 Posts
My input- 1. Make sure the washers are in the holes in the plastic pan. 2. Slide rear of seat in using left hand under front of seat. From scratching tank finish.3. Wiggle it then slam right elbow into driver area riser in the seat. Do this several times. This should make front tabs fit in grommets. Check with flashlight holes should be aligned. I ground off my front tab, makes this process much easier. Make sure your washers are in the pan! I reversed mine and they have never fell out since.

·
Registered
207 Posts
As others have said, if the bolts don't go in easily, chances are the seat isn't installed quite right. It sometimes takes a couple of goes. Cutting off that front tab certainly helps.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Step one - grind off that useless front tab on the bottom of the seatpan. Makes everything work better.
Then follow pigeons recommended bolt steps.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
thump it with your elbow if you must.
The Birdman hit it right on target with all his suggestions. Couldn't say it any better. I ordered Max's bolts and they are easier to get in but now they are laying on the work bench and I have been riding without the bolts installed.

ALSO

Don't hit the seat with your arm that has your Apple watch on it. If you hit very hard, it will think you have fallen hard and flash the 911 button and ask if you need assistance. If you don't cancel it within X amount of time, your watch will call 911 and give your location. It happened to me when I hit my seat a few times and I had to cancel it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I struggled with the seat until I followed Fred H's and Max's (Traxxion Dynamics) advice and also examined the seat to see exactly how it fits. Spray the rubber grommets and the rear frame rails with WD40 (I use silicon spray). That make the seat slide into place much easier and seems to be the key. You have to ensure that the two plastic tabs on the rear of the seat go under the metal tabs. Put the seat into place from front to back. It needs to be as flat as possible against the frame for the two rear tabs to align, but be careful not to scratch the paint on your tank. Push back firmly while sliding it towards the back. Bend the front of the seat up a little to sight the slot, push down and wiggle the seat back slightly to insert the tab into the slot. After a couple of tries, lubricating the grommets and frame rails, and figuring out the technique, my seat goes like butter; no more struggling with it. Some have suggested cutting off the front seat tab. I’m not seeing where that would really make any difference since it’s easy enough to bend the seat up and slide it into the slot. I do not have to bang like crazy on the seat to get it to line up.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Cut the white tab off the front of the seat as per Max @ Traxxion...use a tapered drift pin or punch on the opposite side of the seat helps align it too.

·
Registered
827 Posts
For me the problem is the rubber seat grommets. Make sure they are pushed outside enough to clear the frame. Sad that Honda has never rectified this headache. On the other hand things are looking up for the Formula 1 teams.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Pointed seat bolts increase the potential for cross threading, this is why that is not a normal design for bolts. But there are several items that help getting the seat in the proper position so the holes line up without having to force it with pointed bolts.

First, make sure the rubber cushions on the bottom can slide on the frame, like a quick spray of silicone. They will need to be able to slide back completely to engage the hooks under the frame. If they slide well, you will not need to bang on the wedge behind the driver section of the seat.

Second, there is a big block of plastic that goes in front of a cross bar just behind the fuel pump access of the fuel tank on the left side (as if sitting on it). Be sure this area is clear of any add-ons and other wires.

Third, sit the back of the seat down a little forward so the rear hooks can find their spot and be ready to slide back.

Fourth, work with the front of the seat to find the position where the bolt hole tabs will go down as well as the vertical front center tab going into its slot.

Fifth, push back on the seat as a whole, then line up the front grommet tabs into their grommets on the front corners.

Sixth, give a couple more blows on the seat forcing it back.

If all is in place, the holes should be in the perfect spot for the bolts. It is best to use a long Allan, as a short Allan socket will have the base of the socket hit the seat and keep you from getting the bolts straight. I use a long Allan socket so the alignment is correct to not cross-thread and help them to go in easily. If I did not have the long Allan socket, I would probably use a standard "L" Allan to get them started and then socket after.

The only time I have really had a problem getting the seat bolts started on my 2018 was when something under the seat was in the way of the seat. For this reason, I start both bolts before tightening either. If they do not want to go in, I remove the seat, check out what is underneath (all added extras, relays, fuse blocks, wires, 5-4 converter) making sure nothing is in the way or being crushed, and try again. I have never had to remove and try again a third time.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,230 Posts
I've always just sprayed some Original Bike Spirits cleaner/wax on the frame and my seat has always went on smooth as butter...don't see no need for tapered or new bolts from Traxxion because the seat fits perfectly.

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
I've always just sprayed some Original Bike Spirits cleaner/wax on the frame and my seat has always went on smooth as butter...don't see no need for tapered or new bolts from Traxxion because the seat fits perfectly.
The tapered bolts will contact the plastic fuel tank, not good.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts