GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I would never cut off the large tab in the front of the seat, it helps put the seat in the correct position for the bolts. If that tab is not going in, the seat is not in the correct place.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Every bike I ever owned prior to the Wing had a sear that was removed with the key. Turn the key and it releases a catch point that holds the seat onto the frame. The Wing is a chore. And ever since installing the Honda rider backrest it's near impossible to install the left side cover. Yes - the backrest is correctly installed. Just a nightmare design all-around.

Reactions: gulfrider

·
Registered
147 Posts
Every bike I ever owned prior to the Wing had a sear that was removed with the key. Turn the key and it releases a catch point that holds the seat onto the frame. The Wing is a chore. And ever since installing the Honda rider backrest it's near impossible to install the left side cover. Yes - the backrest is correctly installed. Just a nightmare design all-around.
I have the Honda backrest and battled getting the left side cover on. It wasn't obvious, but the plastic tab on the right rear of the seat was not under the metal tab on the frame causing the seat to be slightly out of alignment. That slight misalignment was enough to block the side cover. I reinstalled the seat and the cover installed easily.

·
Premium Member
2019 Tour DCT Red
165 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Bagger DCT
61 Posts
I have had quite a few bikes and the GW is the only one that has been a pain in the butt to put the seat on. My issue is getting the rear tabs properly seated. Silicone helps but it’s still a requires a fair bit of wrestling to get them to slide into position.

·
Premium Member
2019 Tour DCT Red
165 Posts
Installing hand rail replacements, on my 2019 for the first time last night, and it took me 4 attempts to get the bolt holes lined up. But I will say the next time I do this for the backrest, it will be easier.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I installed the tailBlazer switches today. The biggest PIA was putting the seat back on. Fortunately, it only took two tries, but what a difficult thing to do. I did put silicone grease on all contact points, carefully lined up all the posts, and, of course, forgot to make sure the seat connector was positioned so I could easily get to it. I did not have to remove the seat to actually grab the cable as I used a pair of hemostats and only had to fudge one side up a bit. Putting the bolts back in was no problem as I did have the seat lined up correctly. But, really, it shouldn't be this difficult to remount the seat. I mean, I'm an old guy, I don't need this level of stress :)

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
I would never cut off the large tab in the front of the seat, it helps put the seat in the correct position for the bolts. If that tab is not going in, the seat is not in the correct place.
When I had my stock seat it was easier to line the bolts up without the tab, my Corbin seat does not even come with a tab, I wonder if any of the aftermarket seats have a tab ???

Reactions: ShanghaiDan

·
Registered
398 Posts
Just took mine off to install a Utopia backrest this weekend. Hardest part of the job was trying to get the seat back on. Why design it this difficult? Also I see the new wings have a pre made slot in seat for a backrest, wish Honda would of done this years ago. I find this bike very awkward to work on even for routine maintenance.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Just took mine off to install a Utopia backrest this weekend. Hardest part of the job was trying to get the seat back on. Why design it this difficult? Also I see the new wings have a pre made slot in seat for a backrest, wish Honda would of done this years ago. I find this bike very awkward to work on even for routine maintenance.
It takes Mother Honda a while to catch on.:unsure:

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
1,420 Posts
When I had my stock seat it was easier to line the bolts up without the tab, my Corbin seat does not even come with a tab, I wonder if any of the aftermarket seats have a tab ???
Saddlemen does not.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Just a simple question... Why should it be so difficult to remove the seat and put it back on?

Reactions: Sniper60

·
Premium Member
3,970 Posts
It isn't..my seat has been so easy to reinstall I just cant see why its even a issue for some...same with filling the fuel tank.
There's this persistent insistence that if something isn't happening to me, it isn't happening, or if it is happening, it's because someone's screwing up.

Differences in fuel-spout mechanisms mandated by state environmental regs can account for differences in fuel-metering control, in turn resulting in different flow rates and thus gas spouting from tank openings in some locales but not others..

Reactions: ssncob

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,230 Posts
Yea, there is a difference with the fuel pumps. I've used fuel pumps at gas stations that would not pump slow...but the seats with this bike are all made to the same spec and dimensions with every bike. I've never had a problem with reinstalling the
seat with my old wing or this new model...there are lots of user error here that always seem to blame Honda's design when its the user who makes the mistakes..just look at the recent cemterstand thread where some blame Honda's centerstand design for the bike sinking in the asphalt.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts