GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everytime I have to remove my seat for whatever reason and try to re-install it, what a pain. I have the Colorado Sheep Skin Cover on the seat and makes it really hard to remount. Now on top of this I messed up one of the bolt hole threads. BTW, I have the Utopia Backrest on my seat..

How can I fix this...."H E L P"

:shock:

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Tommy T said:
Everytime I have to remove my seat for whatever reason and try to re-install it, what a pain. I have the Colorado Sheep Skin Cover on the seat and makes it really hard to remount. Now on top of this I messed up one of the bolt hole threads. How can I fix this...."H E L P"
I remove the passenger backrest whenever I take the seat off and on - gives a lot more room and makes the job a lot easier. How about you?

Concerning the threads, if they're not too bad you can chase them with the correct tap. If they're really bad, you'll probably need a helicoil insert. With them, you have to drill and tap a slightly bigger hole. Here's some info on them: http://www.roadstarmagazine.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=233
Good luck.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I also remove the seat backrest each time I remove the seat. It definitely makes it easier.

Now for repairing the threads in the aluminum frame. It was pointed out to me last year by CJS that using a regular tap in aluminum was really not the best way. I found out he was correct on this.

I then went to Sears and purchased a complete thread cleaning set for aluminum and SAE theads. It is this set:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product. ... Cookie=Yes

The reason I purchased the whole set is because as long as you are working on goldwing you might just have to clean other theads as well. (ask me how I know). I have had freinds who said they buggered up the threads on this. I guess I will have to get a new helicoil. They can get expensive real fast. I have been able to save these guys several dollars all exccept for one. He really had the threads messed up. It cost him almost 40.00 to get the kit for one hole.

Also putting a little anti-sieze on all bolts going into aluminum parts is a good idea. It does not take much. A bottle should last a man his whole lifetime and still have some to leave in his will :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
rather than removing the passenger back rest,I open the trunk and pull the back of the seat into the opening between the trunk and trunk lid.It will pull back far enough to clear the clip on the front of the seat.

I have fixed my threads by threading the bolt from the inside and working it in like you would a tap, thread it in,then back it off a little,until it was all the way through.

·
Premium Member
5,974 Posts
In additon to what Ross said, it will also be helpful to grind a taper (about 1/4") on the end or your seat bolts. This will make it much easier to get them started correctly and avoid crosssed threads.
Following on 5Ross' suggestions, for your current situation, if you remove the seat and run the re-trheader from the inside you might well be able to save what you have and avoid the Heli-coil solution.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
All good tips, but also grease the bolt threads lightly or use some anti-sieze. These aluminum threads will strip out easily, just push down on the seat some while trying to start the bolt, you'll feel it pop into position. Start all of them first before tightening any of them up. Then run them in a good ways by hand just to be sure your not crossthreaded before you crank 'em down. Terry

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Also, make sure that you clear away the plastic covering under the vinyl from around the holes in the seat. This plastic can easily get pulled into the threads when you insert the bolts.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
As he said, all good tips. And taking the passanger seat back off takes longer to talk about than to do - just open the trunk, remove two phillips screws, shut the lid and lift straight up. Now you have lots of room to get that seat back on. Don't forget to seat those seat rubber bushings.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had the same problem the very first time I took off my seat. One of the factory bolts was in trouble. I was lucky to be able to run a tap through the bad hole. Once I got them out, I put the bolts in the drill press one at a time, an I took a file to the end of each bolt and filled the threads off and made a small taper on each. I also started to use anti-seeze compount. It made a world of differance.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Always Remember. Put your bike on the centerstand before removing or installing your seat. Makes threading the bolts back in easier. The human brain can only see what level is...not feel it.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
One technique I have decided helps me is to put the seat into place and start threading in all 4 bolts without the passenger handles. This allows you to actually look into the hole to align the seat with the frame without the handle in the way. Once you have all 4 bolts started, simply remove the rear bolt on one side, put the bolt through the passenger handle and re-insert it (loosely) into the seat and frame. You can rotate the handle so that the other bolt does not interfere. Then remove the front bolt and insert it through the handle and thread into the bike. Tighten things up and off you go!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Gordon said:
Those bolts from wingworld with tapered tips thatCyclin Wing mentioned really work great.
CHROMEworld...
www.chromeworld.com/

These guys are ~80 miles from home...just a good excuse for a ride out, no matter what it is I need. They are a first class act...and they are giving away an '07 GoldWing after the end of the year. All you need to do is place an order with them between now and Dec. 31 and you're entered.

Jim

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
5Ross said:
I also remove the seat backrest each time I remove the seat. It definitely makes it easier.

Now for repairing the threads in the aluminum frame. It was pointed out to me last year by CJS that using a regular tap in aluminum was really not the best way. I found out he was correct on this.

I then went to Sears and purchased a complete thread cleaning set for aluminum and SAE theads. It is this set:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product. ... Cookie=Yes

The reason I purchased the whole set is because as long as you are working on goldwing you might just have to clean other theads as well. (ask me how I know). I have had freinds who said they buggered up the threads on this. I guess I will have to get a new helicoil. They can get expensive real fast. I have been able to save these guys several dollars all exccept for one. He really had the threads messed up. It cost him almost 40.00 to get the kit for one hole.

Also putting a little anti-sieze on all bolts going into aluminum parts is a good idea. It does not take much. A bottle should last a man his whole lifetime and still have some to leave in his will :wink: :wink:
Ross, good advice, but I would like to add something to those not used to working with aluminum. Using anti-sieze makes it very easy to overtighten the bolt or nut. It goes so much easier that you are not used to the feel of how tight it is getting, so be very careful not to over tighten when using anti-sieze.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Here's a tip that will ensure no stripped threads... never start a bolt with a wrench! If it won't start with your fingers, something's wrong.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the answers and cures for my sick bike. I read and re-read each reply and took a bit from each and W O W !!!! my bike is back on the road.

I cleaned up the threads, removed the passenger backrest and what do you know. The seat about fell into the right spot. What a big difference.

Shop manuals are great, but experience is much better.

Again, thanks everyone.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Hey Tommy,
You asked so I'm letting you know that I installed my Reg risers yesterday. Wow that combined with the Utopia backrest and the Kury 4056 highway pegs I had previously installed made my Wing like cruisin in a Lazyboy. Just let me know when you want to get a little insight on the install and I'll fill you in. It's a little different on the '06. Terry

·
Registered
95 Posts
Jeff in Ferndale WA said:
rather than removing the passenger back rest,I open the trunk and pull the back of the seat into the opening between the trunk and trunk lid.It will pull back far enough to clear the clip on the front of the seat.
that's exactly what i do, jeff. not sure what the advantage is of taking the backrest off completely.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts