GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone can expain to me ,
How to remove the seat on my gl1800 to install the utopia back rest?
I would realy appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
To remove seat, remove the bolts in the passenger handles. Carefully remove them so as not to drop the grommets that they screw into.

You will want to lub those bolts before reinstall.
Some tie wrap the grommets also.

Once handles are removed, the seat will lift up from the back and come off. I also open trunk, remove the 2 screws that hold passenger backrest and remove that too. Makes it much easier.

Be aware how the front of the seat by the gas tank goes under the bracket when you reverse the process and put the seat back on. It is very easy to put the seat on improperly - only to have to take it off and redo. Some have ridden miles (very uncomfortably they say ) before discovering the seat was improperly mounted.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
granpa in Cincy said:
To remove seat, remove the bolts in the passenger handles. Carefully remove them so as not to drop the grommets that they screw into.

You will want to lub those bolts before reinstall. Some tie wrap the grommets also.
Hmmm... I've removed my seat several times and don't remember any grommets. Do you have something on your bike that I don't have on my '02?
:?: :?: :?:

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Bob, I think that he's talking about those large plastic 'bushings' that are mounted on the seat underside; the bolts pass through them. I siliconed mine in the last time I had the seat off, that way they won't fall out anymore. :lol:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Be Careful

When your inside your trunk to remove those two screws that hold the backrest on be careful. There is a flatwasher under each screw, if your not careful one could slide down and into the depth's of the wing, never to be found. Don't ask me how I know ! :oops:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Here is how I remove mine. I remove the 4 bolts that hold the handles on. Open the trunk. Slide the seat all the way back until you can lift the front. Close the trunk. Now lift the front of the seat then pull forward to remove from under the passenger seat back. Reverse procedure to install. You do have to be very careful not to lose one or more of the bushings down between the rear fender and frame.

·
Registered
837 Posts
MotorcycleBoy said:
Here is how I remove mine. I remove the 4 bolts that hold the handles on. Open the trunk. Slide the seat all the way back until you can lift the front. Close the trunk. Now lift the front of the seat then pull forward to remove from under the passenger seat back. Reverse procedure to install. You do have to be very careful not to lose one or more of the bushings down between the rear fender and frame.
Yep...couldn't put it better myself. You don't have to remove the backrest. I open the trunk, reach inside and pull the seat back. Then lift up on the front of the seat and slide it out. Ditto on the black bushings. I almost lost one once.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Jim Mathis said:
Ditto on the black bushings. I almost lost one once.
Dang! ... I guess I haven't been paying attention! While it's so cold around here that I can't ride I guess I'm going to have to take off my seat and see if anything is missing. :roll:

Thanx for the info. :s27:

·
Registered
837 Posts
That's how I almost lost one Bob. Not paying attention. I saw this black thing laying in the grass and wondered where it came from. I turned the seat upside down and saw the other's, and the space where one was missing. They're black cylinder looking things, and they're easy to loose.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
????

No you do not have to remove the backrest, but for the first time doing it , the job is a bit easier to accomplish. Helps to build ones confidence. :D

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Jim Mathis said:
That's how I almost lost one Bob. Not paying attention. I saw this black thing laying in the grass ...
:lol: :lol: :lol: Don't feel bad .... after my CB install, I found a strange looking rubbery thing left over when everything was buttoned up. So, being the genius I am :lol: , I posted a pic here and said "anyone have a clue what this is??" Seems like lots of people knew :lol: :lol: 'cause I got lots of responses.

Siliconing them in place saves a lot of searching and/or dumb questions afterwards!

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
OrangeCrush said:
Jim Mathis said:
That's how I almost lost one Bob. Not paying attention. I saw this black thing laying in the grass ...
Siliconing them in place saves a lot of searching and/or dumb questions afterwards!
Gee Thanx, OC! I represent that remark! :oops:

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Sorry Bob ... I was referring ot me, not you .... Oh well, at least I'm not alone ... :lol:

·
Registered
226 Posts
YES.....silicon those spacers in

AND use anti-seize on the bolts

life will be much better next time
you take the seat off

·
Registered
533 Posts
I would like to know the engineering background to those "bushings".:idea:

Somehow, the 25 years of previous Goldwings were manufactured in a
way that didn't result in bushings and grommets flying out from everything
the owner removed. Do you think they weren't allowed to have glue in the
plant, or are they just messing with us?

T

·
0 Posts
Pain in the butt

I found these black rubber bushings to be a real pain in the butt. Would not stay in no matter what. I removed the black ones and kept the spacers. All I found that they do is let the passenger handles push against the spacers when screwing the bolts back in, to allow the bolts NOt too go too deeply into the handles and takes up the slack when reinstalling the bolts. If you don't use the spacers the seat handles will NOT be tight enough.

My 2 cents worth,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts