GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new to the gold wing world. I'm preparing to install my Utopia back rest. I don't want to screw anything up. Any tips or tricks are welcome. Including seat removal. I've never done anything with my bike. This is my first rodeo. :?:

·
Registered
548 Posts
remove the 4 bolts that hold the grab rails on.lift up the rear of the seat away from passenger back pad & slide seat back a touch then it should pull up & off.

·
Registered
143 Posts
seat

One easy trick I learned from this board is to open the trunk when removing or installing the seat. Slides right out and lift. To install the seat back just measure and plunge the longest bread knife in the drawer along the face of the seat pan. You will probably be able to see it slide down. Enjoy! I've had mine in for three weeks now and I love it. Tom

·
Registered
241 Posts
When removing and installing the seat, it is best done so with the passenger back rest removed. Just open the trunk and take out those two little screws and washers. If you area like many of us, you will probably end up doing this a few times per year for various reasons.

If you can...and, maybe another board member can help you out here...try to find some tapered bolts that will replace the four that are used to hold the seat to the frame. Someone sells them, I know, because I've had four for several years now...Just can't remember where the heck I got them. They make aligning the bolts and threads much easier so you won't cross thread them.

Finally, do something (duct tape, glue...whatever) to secure those 4 large pesky rubber spacers that are on the inside of the seat. If you don't, you'll end up chasing them all over the floor, or find them laying under your seat some place (if you're lucky) the next time you take it off.

As far as installing the Utopia....use a nice long sharp knife as was previously suggested...and carefully follow the directions.

Have fun and you'll be rodeoing with the best of 'em.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I just lift the bottom of the passenger backrest out of the way and lift the seat out. Putting it back is much more difficult, and I cross threaded one hole and had to tap it out. What I do now is put a small wooden dowel into all four bolt locations so I know the seat is lined up, then GENTLY start the bolts back in. Any early resistance means I back it out and try again.

As for cutting the seat:

1. Measure twice, then check it again,
2. Allow your SO the option of watching, watching after having a drink, or leaving the room;
3. Start a cuttin' and figure you can always get another one on ebay if you do an oops.

It's well worth the effort.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Seat Removal

I have had mine off MANY times...including to install the Utopia. Here is a MAJOR hint: Yes, buy the tapered bolts....deffinately, but also take a drill bit much larger than the bolt holes and taper the entry points. The metal is pretty soft and it doesn't take much. This REALLY helps in getting the tapered bolts in the FIRST time---every time and you will NEVER have to worry about cross threading. ALWAYS start the bolts with your fingers until you are SURE that you are in the threads.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Re: Seat Removal

nludvigson said:
I have had mine off MANY times...including to install the Utopia. Here is a MAJOR hint: Yes, buy the tapered bolts....deffinately, but also take a drill bit much larger than the bolt holes and taper the entry points. The metal is pretty soft and it doesn't take much. This REALLY helps in getting the tapered bolts in the FIRST time---every time and you will NEVER have to worry about cross threading. ALWAYS start the bolts with your fingers until you are SURE that you are in the threads.
You can get the tapered bolts at Chrome World. I think that is where I purchased mine.

http://www.chromeworld.com/index.cfm?fu ... egoryID=37

Todd

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks

Thanks for the replys. All the tips and tricks are much appreciated. I'll probably wait until I find some tapered bolts before I attempt installation. I'll post again the results.

B

·
0 Posts
I SPY said:
When removing and installing the seat, it is best done so with the passenger back rest removed. Just open the trunk and take out those two little screws and washers.
The seat is not that hard to get OFF. It's getting it back ON that is a little difficult. I SPY's advice is the best trick I have learned for doing this. It only takes a few seconds to remove or install the backrest and it makes the whole re-install of the seat easier. Take out the 2 screws and the backrest just lifts off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Installed

Done the job last night. Came out good. Thanks to everyone for the advise and help. I haven't bought the tapered bolts yet but, I did discover the need for them. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Youcan buy four stock seat bolts and taper them yourself for about $5 total.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
only an owner for a few months but have had the seat off LOTS.
I lowered it to match my body.

I've not had any trouble installing the seat.
Maybe years of installing Volkswagen mufflers when I was I kid helps.

my two cents:
you don't need tapered bolts.
put the front end in first to catch the bar underneath
then use a Phillips or awl to line up the nut doughnuts so you can see them
then start all four of the bolts enough to make sure they are not cross threaded (without the passenger handles)
then back out one of the rearmost bolts and thread it back in, this time with the passenger handle.
once started, take out the other bolt on the same side, insert it through the handle and put it back in.
leave them loose and then do the same thing on the other side.
once everything is in and started, then tighten them all down.

it's much easier to do it than to try and explain it.

summary: put it all together "loose" before you tighten any of the bolts.
(good advice for just about anything you put back together)

Dennis

1 - 15 of 15 Posts