GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a small tear in my stock seat is there anything that I can use to repair that works? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Duct tape?

·
Chard Member
13,055 Posts
Go to your local auto dealer. Ask them who does their interior repairs. They should be able to repair the seat so you won't know it was repaired.

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
Red said:
They should be able to repair the seat so you won't know it was repaired.
Red...........isn't that like not repairing it at all?? :lol: :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
958 Posts
Take the vinyl off enough to get to the underside of the tear. Once there, get an iron on denim patch from wall mart and iron it on over the hole. It works great.

John

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had a small tear develop near one of the seams on the seat this summer. Stopped by the dealer and they said since it was obviously along a seam and didn't appear to have happened with a tool or something in a back pocket they would replace it under warranty. A week later I had a new seat.

Rex
2004 CBC ABS

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a tear about 4" long in my stock seat. Took it to an upholstery shop recommended by a friend. Repair took 1 day. You can't see the tear. I found that not all shops do vinyl repairs, but if you shop around you should be able to find one. Good luck.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It depends on where the tear is. I had a small tear on the side of my seat and used super glue on it. Put the glue on a toothpick and run it down each side of the tear and then press on each side of the tear and hold the tear together for a minute. I can hardly tell where the tear is. If you get too much glue on the vinyl and don't get it wiped off quick enough take a piece on fine sand paper and rough it up to match the surrounding area. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Maybe for an inexpensive alternative, Walgreens or CVS might have one of those Naugahyde repair kits that looks like it came from Ron Popiel himself.
Probably under 5 bucks by now.

Weird thing tho, is, I've NEVER shot a Nauga. I wonder where those critters live !?!?!? :?

·
Registered
552 Posts
n9frp said:
Maybe for an inexpensive alternative, Walgreens or CVS might have one of those Naugahyde repair kits that looks like it came from Ron Popiel himself.
Probably under 5 bucks by now.

Weird thing tho, is, I've NEVER shot a Nauga. I wonder where those critters live !?!?!? :?
Those kits work great. they come with liquid vinyl that matches the color of your seat and also come with different patterns and a little bitty iron to iron on the pattern. I have repaired many seats this way and you can barely tell they have a rip in them.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
This is a good thread...I have often wondered what happened if the seat got a tear in it...It doesn't seem to me that any type of glue will stick to vinyl.......The idea of a denim patch ironed on the underside sounds good too....What about sewing around the tear ?

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I like the idea of the denim patch. If you're not happy with the results you get from that you can still have the torn panel replaced at an auto upholstery shop. If you don't know who to call, get hold of two or three used car dealers and ask who they use. Good luck. I hope this helps. :D

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
n9frp said:
They are raised strictly on farms. They haven't lived in the wild for years and therefor have not been hunted since revolutionary times.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts