GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 wing, I'm going to buy a new seat. Mine, the seams are shot.
I don't know what seat I have, Type 1 or 2.
What is the difference between the 2?

On my seat is the sticker with this number:
+77200 -MCA - a200 - t1
06/27/03 003 of 8

Any info would be helpful.
Thanks
Tony

·
Registered
1,318 Posts

+77200 -MCA - a200 - t1
06/27/03 003 of 8

Thanks
Tony

Seats up to '10 should fit fine. '12 to '17 seats mount the same but they way they fit against the side panels is different, so they won't fit right on the earlier 1800s.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts

+77200 -MCA - a200 - t1
06/27/03 003 of 8

Thanks
Tony
What color is your 04? If it’s Flare Red, then it has a type 2 seat. If it’s any other color, it’s the type 1 seat. The type 2 seat has a fake carbon fiber pattern on it and was only sold on the Flare Red 04s, all other 04 colors got the standard seat.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I modified the seat on my '03 back in 2010. Most of my riding is done solo, but the missus is not any less comfortable.
I took 2 inches off the padding behind the rider, and rounded over the wings on the front corners. For a month or so I just fit the original seat back on, did a little more tweaking and then sewed up a new seatcover front to back and have been very happy with it ever since. I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam. No more numb legs.
(still don't know how to add pictures, file too big)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What color is your 04? If it’s Flare Red, then it has a type 2 seat. If it’s any other color, it’s the type 1 seat. The type 2 seat has a fake carbon fiber pattern on it and was only sold on the Flare Red 04s, all other 04 colors got the standard seat.

Thanks for the info.
I like the original look of the seat, if I can find a local upholster person that can do the seat I might go that direction.
thanks again.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Wow...

Just a few short years ago, marine-quality materials in basic black - $350 and they had the seat for nearly a week.

Any reputable upholstery shop should be able to do the work. Now, I rode the bike in to the place to show the guy. Had to get an appointment a few days later to bring the seat in - that was removed from the bike to have the work done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts