GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just dropped off my Perilli SC RF tire at the shop to get mounted. The shop owner told me they have been having issues getting these new RF tires to seat on a motorcycle rim. He said he will only go to 60psi and if it doesn’t seat, I’m on my own.

Any of you have issues with your CT seating?

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
I haven't dealt with the SC, but my P1 RF seated at 35 PSI with a lot of lube.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mountainrider.

Shop just called and to the owners surprise, he didn’t have any issues.

I’m still curious to find out if anyone has run into this issue?

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
I think on the 1800's there's little to no problem seating the beads. I know I've seen many threads about issues with the 1500's needing excessive pressure to seat the beads. I've mounted a couple CTs on the 1800 and never required more than 35PSI. Glad your guys hooked you up.

Reactions: Newwingrider65

·
Registered
258 Posts
Usually if there is a bead seating issue it is due to the tire not being centered on the rim as it is inflated. Just deflate and realign the tire. Unless the rim surface is not clean, which should always be inspected before mounting a tire.
And as said lube !!!!

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
It’s the 15” rims that are more difficult to seat. There are many of these taking a hundred pounds or more to pop on. We always make sure the tires we mount on 1500’s are very warm and well lubed before attempting to seat. Another reason to use a performance tire with good sidewalls...

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
I've noticed that my powder coated rear wheel takes more pressure to seat than the OEM finish. This makes sense as the powder coat does add a small amount of material and increases the wheel circumference and therefore makes the fit a bit tighter.

I wouldn't have thought it impacted it as much as it does, but it probably takes an extra 20 PSI on that wheel.

It still mounts below 60 PSI though....if a tire doesn't mount by 60 or so, I stop, reset, re-lube and try again. It should never take high pressures to set a bead if done correctly.

PS...there's no actual reason a run flat should take more pressure either as the rubber around the bead should be just as pliable. The reason they probably seem to take more is that it's harder to properly lube the bead as the sidewall is stiffer and you have to press it down in order to make sure you get enough lube in there.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I shoulda ask?

You know, I should have asked the guy what bike he was installing the tire on. It could have been a GL1500. I know of a couple 1500 owners that run car tires. He said mine went on fine, so that made me feel allot better.

Thanks for all the advice guys. This will be my first try at the Darkside. I'm anxious to see how my bike handles.:grin2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts