GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a good solution to tall riders being a bit cramped when riding a Wing?

Like many other people over here in the UK, a mate of mine tested the 3rd gen Wing and didn't like it, so he bought a nearly-new 2nd gen GL1800 instead (for the European touring he has planned).

Sadly, he is already finding that the riding position is not too comfortable for his large frame. He's 6'2" and only a medium leg but - in his own words - he has a large ass!

He has had a 2nd gen bagger (F6C) for some time and finds the seat on that perfect for him. But he feels that the small rider backrest on his new bike needs to be 2-3" further back, ideally.

He has been quoted £250 to modify the seat accordingly, but I wondered if anyone had an alternative solution?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I’ll try to help....

I too am an oversized rider....6’5” and 300 pounds.
2 things that helped me with my 08 1800....
I installed an ultimate king touring seat
I also installed a set of adjustable foot rest/pegs in place of the stock ones. There is a limit as to how far you can drop, but it helps with the comfort tremendously.

Hope this helps.
Bryon

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ultimate King, yep - I have owned 3, two on Valkyries, one on my wing - if not for this seat I would have had to sell my wing.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I too am an oversized rider....6’5” and 300 pounds.

2 things that helped me with my 08 1800....

I installed an ultimate king touring seat

I also installed a set of adjustable foot rest/pegs in place of the stock ones. There is a limit as to how far you can drop, but it helps with the comfort tremendously.

Hope this helps.

Bryon
Which adjustable foot pegs did you install?....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
If he doesn't want to spend too much money, Airhawk pillow will probably do a good job. The R version is arguably the best (for a male rider).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
496 Posts
I'm 6'2" 280 and have used Diamond Custom and Hartco custom seats on all of my Goldwings and Valkyries. About 60% of the cost of a Russell which I consider the best seat available for big guys. One friend of mine is 6'7" 450lbs and won't get on a Valkyrie or GL1800 without his Very big Russell custom seat.
Dan

·
Registered
457 Posts
6'4" and 300. I'm on my 8th Russell on various bikes and IMHO it's the best for us full figured types.

·
Registered
391 Posts
adjustable foot pegs

I have had them for several years, bought them off the for sale board here.
rivco perhaps? I don't remember for sure, and did not see a name on them.
They look like factory pegs, but are adjustable. I tried them on the lowest setting, but was dragging too much for my liking. (second pix shows vertical adjustment)

Where they are at (middle setting) is a good compromise, and can drag if I want in the twisties... :)
hope this helps
bryon

Attachments

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
6'3" and 235 lbs with a 34 inseam. I had my Russell Day-Long saddle made so I sit two inches further back and 2 inches higher. You might want to look into Roadsmith Comfort Controls. I had the Comfort Controls installed on my 2015 prior to my trip to Alaska. It moves the rider pegs forward 3 inches and down 1 inch, giving you extra leg room. The comfort controls also move your brake pedal your shift lever forward as well. It was the ticket for me!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Roadsmith makes a what they call a Comfort kit. Which drops down 1 inch and moves forward 3 inches. I'm 5' 10" and 340 lbs and I am cramped. I did a Hartco seat and risers on the handle bars on my 2003. And going to do the same to my 2013. And thinking about the Comfort kit.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I had Wingsoft in Texas redo my seat to give me another 3 inches of room. The job also made the seat comfortable for day long riding.
Very reasonable in price and will do only what you want them to do. And considerably cheaper than a new seat altogether...

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
6'4" 32" inseam. 22 stone. (I like stone units! :p )

Goldwing seating is cramped.

2001 Wing I picked up a Ultimate King seat on eBay. Wonderful seat. Moved the rider up and back. Unfortunatley it went with the bike when it got totaled.
2003 Wing. Wing Soft mods. Very good seat. Moved the rider back and firmer foam for support. Still got numb butt in a few hundred miles but the leg room was better.
2006 Wing. Purchased a RDL used from a fellow member here. Was built for a 6'2" 300lbs rider with apparently a very sender pillion. The passenger backrest is like 2" thicker and 2-3" higher then stock. It works well for me (up and back), but for my wife likes the stock backrest.

Problem I have now is my knees hit the bar ends at full lock.

If you can afford a RDL and the wait time, do it.
If you want off the shelf seat, Ultimate King is great.
If you are on a budget wingsoft is great bang for the buck. I think you are in the UK so shipping may be costly. Maybe you can find a local auto upholstery shop. Have them remove the 2" thick rider back cushion and install firmer foam. Basically a Wingsoft mod.

·
Registered
650 Posts
There is a very large difference in legroom between an F6B and a Goldwing. I was happy with the legroom on my F6B but found the Wing's seating position intolerable. A Ultimate King seat set me back away from the bars a couple inches and I found it much more comfortable. As long as you have the stock Honda seat no combination of footpegs or handle bar pullbacks will help as you need the legroom that only sitting back further can provide you.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I originally started writing this post by saying that I have never bought an aftermarket seat but then I got to thinking ... I have a Sargent Seat on my BMW K1600 (came with the used bike), a Renasco on my KTM 990 (had to have something, after all it's a KTM) and a Seat Concepts on my KTM 500Exc (ditto KTM). So, I guess that makes me an expert! :) I do have an '04 GL1800 with the original seat and seat beads.

I figured there were just a lot of soft butts out there who were complaining about the '18 seat. But, after a 100 miles on the seat on the my '18, I began to see what people were talking about. I am 6'4 about 270lbs. I would start getting hot spots after 50 miles and by 100 miles I needed to adjust and couldn't find a comfortable position. If I rode further than a 100 miles without stopping I just had to 'tough it out'. Part of my decision also included the fact that my wife actually likes the Honda seat, which surprised me. She liked the seat on the '04 as well, but, complained that the width of the seat caused her hips to hurt after a while. But she has not done any rides longer than 100 miles on the '18. When she is with me we usually stop much more frequently.

With those issues, I began to look around ... I'd be lying if I said I came upon John at BikeSolutions and was immediately sold. My buddy rides a Ultimate on his '16 and is completely happy with it. And I also looked at the RDL and Sargent. But after looking at various solutions I decided to give BikeSolutions a shot. I am glad I did.

Part of my decision making included proximity. John is about 60 miles from where I live and does do ride-ins. But, after seeing his setup, I would not have had a problem with just removing my seat and sending it to him. John fixed things I wasn't even aware were a problem. He removed the lower protrusion that caused discomfort and pushed the driver seat back to a point where the backrest is now functional. Honestly, I didn't realize how much this bugged me. But mainly the upgrade for me was the seat cushion. I found after a 50-100 miles on the original Honda seat, I settled down onto the seat pan, which caused discomfort in both my legs and butt. They must not have big enough folks to test that in Japan. John added layering that kept me up from the seat pan.

I haven't done a long trip but the 150 miles I put on yesterday, was as comfortable at the end as it was at the beginning. I felt the backrest actually began to support my riding. And the little whatever it is that is at the base of the back was causing more discomfort than I was aware of. At this point, the result was well worth the money I invested. I appreciate the work John and also, thanks for your service!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I’m 6’ 2” 32/34 inseam, and 212lbs

I went to the Ultimate King last year and I absolutely Love It! I also added a pair of Rocky Risers. Combine those two upgrades to my Mic O Pegs, and I can ride out at tank of gas without stopping. 750 miles a day is the most i’ve ridden, but I could have done more! On the stock seat, 650 was the max and I was hurtin!

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I mentioned this before and I'll say it again::::::::::: Go to a cushion making place or anywhere that SELLS CHAIR CUSHIONS, and just purchase a seat cushion that fits your stock motorcycle seat the best... and enjoy your ride....******the thicker the seat cushion, the higher up yea sit, and will make yea more comfortable**********

Ronnie

All for under $10.00 (ish)

·
Love The DCT
12,026 Posts
I mentioned this before and I'll say it again::::::::::: Go to a cushion making place or anywhere that SELLS CHAIR CUSHIONS, and just purchase a seat cushion that fits your stock motorcycle seat the best... and enjoy your ride....******the thicker the seat cushion, the higher up yea sit, and will make yea more comfortable**********

Ronnie

All for under $10.00 (ish)
For some of us, a seat cushion simply does not “cut the mustard” when it comes to being comfortable when riding the bike.

:doorag:

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I'm 6'2" 280 and have used Diamond Custom and Hartco custom seats on all of my Goldwings and Valkyries. About 60% of the cost of a Russell which I consider the best seat available for big guys. One friend of mine is 6'7" 450lbs and won't get on a Valkyrie or GL1800 without his Very big Russell custom seat.
Dan

What Dan said!:thumbup:

Corventure Dave

1 - 20 of 21 Posts