GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 6'2, 200lbs and the GL1800 seat is just not as comfortable as the GL1500. My feet/legs sit further under me on the floorboards and my knees almost touch the fairing.

So..be honest....what seat do YOU recommend...and why? Did you get the replacement backrest? Did you replace the passenger backrest?

Thanks
Larry

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dan. I've been talking to Mark at Hartco, though I didn't realize they are a sister company to Diamond. He talks a good seat but I wanted other opinions. Looking at the photo you have of Bill Pearlman on your link shows exactly what I want. Right now, my feet sit under me instead of being straight down. I don't know if I need a higher seat but I definitely want to sit further back, but I don't want to take room from my wife. I think the thinner/straighter passenger back rest would help solve that problem.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I'm happy with the Wingsoft seat reconfiguration from Bike Solutions. I gained several inches of leg space with the modification to the driver butt rest in addition to additional padding in both seat bottoms. The modification done to the passenger backrest allows passenger to sit more upright without a loss of seat space. I added the Utopia backrest which is very comfortable. The turn around time was less than 2 weeks, door to door.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I have the Hartco Pro Tour and it fits well. I'm comfortable on it for everything local, but when I know that we are going to be super slabbing for 10-12 hours I throw on The Airvent for some added comfort. I would buy another and I do have their backrest, although I don't use it all the time, it's very easy on/off.:lol::lol:

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
I'm 6'2, 200lbs and the GL1800 seat is just not as comfortable as the GL1500. My feet/legs sit further under me on the floorboards and my knees almost touch the fairing.

So..be honest....what seat do YOU recommend...and why? Did you get the replacement backrest? Did you replace the passenger backrest?

Thanks
Larry
Take a look at the FOR SALE board. Ken has his Hartco seat for sale.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
The Ultimate seat, with driver and passenger backrest, is a nice combination..., especially the passenger backrest..., it sits the passenger a bit more upright, which resolves one of the major complaints about the stock backrest. Driver seats come in various configurations and sizes. You can check Ultimate seats out at...

www.ultimateseats.ca

Or visit their new retails store (when it opens soon) at Destination Daytona in Ormond Beach (just north of Daytona Beach).

Another solution to your "feet" problem is to relocate the pegs a bit further forward, which will help straighten your knees a bit..., enough to be noticeably more comfortable. The only ones I know of are from Rattlebars, so if you can find "Waldo" around here, he might be able to help you out.

:bow: www.rattlebars.com

There's more to your issue than just the seat, so be sure to look at the big picture.

·
Registered
126 Posts

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Thanks Dan. I've been talking to Mark at Hartco, though I didn't realize they are a sister company to Diamond. He talks a good seat but I wanted other opinions. Looking at the photo you have of Bill Pearlman on your link shows exactly what I want. Right now, my feet sit under me instead of being straight down. I don't know if I need a higher seat but I definitely want to sit further back, but I don't want to take room from my wife. I think the thinner/straighter passenger back rest would help solve that problem.

I think you are going in the right direction here. I also have the Heartco and am totally satisfied. One word of caution.... Custom saddles like the Heartco are available on ebay and the classified's, but be sure it is made for "your" size and shape. Buying direct from the custom saddle maker will assure a fit that will make you say "Ahhhh"! Not ouch!

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i fooled with numerous seat fixes,and they all were less than good

i got a hartco seat and it was very good

then i got my 06 with the heated stuff and the hartco didnt have wires

so i went with a russell day long

it made me rethink how much i liked my hartco

by comparison, the russell was so much better than the the hartco

they installed my factory heat wires into the custom seat

raised it 2 inches from stock

moved it 2 inches back from stock

i got the drivers backrest, and a cover for the pass backrest to match

i had minbe done in cloth, so its not so hot in the summer

the biggest difference was the side springs, they allow you to sit on your butt, and not on the inside of your thighs

yes $965 shipped is a bunch to spend on a seat,

i can tell you, that it has made my riding , so much more comfy

also, i didnt fool with the stupid photos of me riding

to show them how to build a seat

i just told them how far back and up from stock

i never had any adjustments, it came out correct for me

·
Registered
729 Posts
IMHO that the finest most comfortable seat made is the Russell Seat aka Day Long http://www.day-long.com/ . Each seat is built to your exact specifications and also has a spring in it going sidewars to support your hips.

This company stands behind there work and also offers a guarntee! I have been using there seats since the late 80s on BMW, HD and Wings. The GL1800 I feel does have the best seat pan and really adds to comfort of the seat.

Russell uses your OEM GL1800 seat pan to build the seat from and you can choose just to do the riders section or can also have the passengers section done.

Drawbacks (which have nothing to do w/comfort) you must send your seat to them or buy a used one and send it to them. Turn around time is usually a month or more. Since you send them your photo of your self sitting on the stock seat as well as your specs ie inseam, weight, height and somtimes girth you may be required to send the seat back for minor adjustments (which they will do for free for a year)

If you live in Northern Ca Russell does offer a ride in service by appt and they will build you a seat while you wait.

Backrest, used one as to me they are a PITA especially for the taller folks it just gets in the way. When Russell builds the seat they can move you back and also there is enough to give your back support. If you want a backrest thay can build you one.

I'm 6'2" or3" 275 32"inseam! Below is a photo of the Russell seat on my past 06 Wing (and yes Russell can retain the heat) I just bought a 08 Wing and as soon as its delivered (next week) that seat is going right out to them.

Can say enough about there seats as well as how nice the folks are to deal with. A long time satisfied customer!

Thanks
Larry

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I agree with you regarding the Russell seats. I've had several of them, and my wife is going to get one made there, in April, for her new-to-her '01 Wing. But why didn't you just put your existing Russell seat on the new wing and the new OEM seat on the old Wing when you traded it in? Just asking.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
:agree:I love my ultimate seat sets me back one and a half inches and your pasanger 10 percent straighter.:thumbup:
The Ultimate seat, with driver and passenger backrest, is a nice combination..., especially the passenger backrest..., it sits the passenger a bit more upright, which resolves one of the major complaints about the stock backrest. Driver seats come in various configurations and sizes. You can check Ultimate seats out at...

www.ultimateseats.ca

Or visit their new retails store (when it opens soon) at Destination Daytona in Ormond Beach (just north of Daytona Beach).

Another solution to your "feet" problem is to relocate the pegs a bit further forward, which will help straighten your knees a bit..., enough to be noticeably more comfortable. The only ones I know of are from Rattlebars, so if you can find "Waldo" around here, he might be able to help you out.

:bow: www.rattlebars.com

There's more to your issue than just the seat, so be sure to look at the big picture.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Seat

I think you are going in the right direction here. I also have the Heartco and am totally satisfied. One word of caution.... Custom saddles like the Heartco are available on ebay and the classified's, but be sure it is made for "your" size and shape. Buying direct from the custom saddle maker will assure a fit that will make you say "Ahhhh"! Not ouch!
Whichever seat I decide on, I will custom order as I want to make sure I have exactly what I need. The guy from Hartco said that, since my wife says the seats too wide, he will narrow that portion for her and seems like he is really willing to work with the purchaser. I looked at the Russel Day-Long and it looks pretty good but I don't like the idea of having to send my seat (seat pan) to them and having to be without the bike for that long. I'm trying to make up for lost time riding it...we had gone 15 years without a bike (layed my GL1500 down at 65mph and was able to pick it up and ride it home with minimal damage to me or the bike..my wife said no more, until this past summer) and after buying this one in June, found out I needed heart surgery and put the bike up from Sep-Dec with only 988 miles on it. So now, every nice day we get, I'm out riding it.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
PM sent

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
I have had 4 Hartco custom seats. Two on GL1500
s and two on GL1800's. I am 6'5" tall and weigh 385, with a 34" inseam. I love the ride and comfort of the Hartco seats and I always buy the velour covers. Coo, in the summer and warmer in the winter compare to vinyl. Leather is a waste of money and hard to take care of.

Mark at Hartco and Diamond is the easiest guy to get along with. He has been in the seat business a very long time and knows what he is talking about. He will ask for your height, weight and inseam and make it to fit you!

Good Luck with your purchase. You are going to love the ride, even on long distance touring.

It sure works for me. I love the extra height. :thumbup:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a Hartco seat and if I had seen an Ultimate seat first I would never have bought the Hartco
Can you tell me WHY you feel that way about the Ultimate vs the Hartco? My problem with the Ultimate is that their seats are "generic" - one size (or in their case, 3 sizes) fit all when Hartco builds the seats to your specifications, size, weight, etc.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts