GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I rode from Texas to Seattle last April and am looking to ride from Seattle to Texas this spring. I wanted to come down 101 and then over the mountains. Being from Washington, passes here sometimes are closed until a certain time. Does anyone know anything about passes being passable or not? Should I cut over near Reno or further south since I want to go to the north part of the Grand Canyon en route? Vegas is not important to go through but I don't know whether that would be a better ride or not.
Thanks, John

·
Registered
19,121 Posts
Are you kidding ?
it is wintertime
do this ride in the summer

·
Registered
97 Posts
Where in Texas are you heading? Are you taking a nice long ride... backroads scenic... are you in a hurry, slab?

·
Registered
703 Posts
When are you riding? You said "spring". Spring when?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
California passes

Heading down for sure by April. Looking to see if I can push it into March. Just wondering if anybody who likes to ride knows anything about the passes in California and timing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reply to Sherob

Sherob, heading down to Austin to a buddy's place. Not a long leisurely ride, but not a quickie either. I plan on stopping at the neat spots and stuff. Went from Houston through the center of the US last April so looking to go the Cal coast this trip thinking I can start earlier and see different things. Planning on storing the bike for a bit and then heading East and up the East coast in June, then store it again and home in August across Northern states. I can't do it all at once since I gotta work some in between legs of the trip.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Usually April would mean a chance of some frosty roads in the Washington, Oregon and Northern California passes. We did an April ride and found wet, frost and snow, in that order, from north to south on those passes.

The problem with planning a trip in April is that a week earlier or a few days later you might have either georgoues sunshine or rain and slush.

It is kind of interesting waking up in Bend, OR and seeing frost on the bikes. We were sure glad we packed the electric vests and gloves. But the looks we got from people in Arizona were even more interesting. Don't they know what warm weather riding gear looks like and how hard it is to pack on the trunk when not being worn?

·
Registered
833 Posts
I would head east if you can, that way you can avoid all of the pouring rain that you will hit riding down 101 in the spring. The odds of it raining is about 80% in march or april. Go south until you hit the Columbia river and then go east to 97 and head south from there. Or you can pick up 395 further down and head toward Reno. You need to check weather though because it gets pretty cold around there and snows sometimes. It is a high desert in eastern Oregon and Nevada so it gets really cold at night and you have to watch for freezing in the spring. Maybe you'll get lucky and we'll have a break in the normal weather.

You won't hit any high passes that I can think of in Oregon and northern Nevada on that route that I can remember.

Have a good ride
DJ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts