GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have only had my first Wing, an 05 1800 which now has aobut 10,500 miles on it, for about seven weeks and around 2300 miles of riding. Recently I have noticed, when shifting up into 4th and 5th gears, a "secondary" sound something like the gear dropping into position after hearing the usual shifting sounds. The sound seems to be occurring just after I release the clutch lever.

I had not noticed this sound in the early weeks of riding the wing and am not sure if it was there previously. Do not believe I can describe the sound I am hearing any differently, except to say that there is the usual shift sound followed immediately by another sound like the gear engaging as with a slightly audible clank.

I guess you would have to hear it to know for sure what I am trying to describe. Has anyone else noticed a similar occurence or am I maybe imagining things? :? I have not noticed any abberations with the bike otherwise.

I hope to hear from some of you. Thanks. :)

Todd

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I havew no idea what your riding experience is in general, but let me just say that I have come to find out that the wings gearbox is not to be coddled.
Go ahead and shift it with purpose. I even like to preload mine with my foot before the clutch is pulled in just to get ready for the shift.......the firm shift. This may help some.....I dunno?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gary and Steve. Thanks for your suggestions. It sounds to me like you may have the same type idea. I have noticed not shifting firmly enough at times and ending up in neutral instead of second gear. I may need to be a bit more assertive in pressing the shifter. :shock:

Recently I read a post on this board that someone shifted by preloading. Can't remember if that was you Steve. Anyway, I began trying it to see if I could shift more smoothly. Heck, you would think that a guy who has driven with a stick shift most of his 50 years of driving should know how to shift by now. :roll: :oops: :lol:

I do appreciate your help guys. Anyone else have some thoughts they want to share?

Todd

G

·
In addition to shifting firmly, you may want to continue to hold the shift lever up with your foot until after you have released the clutch and applied throttle.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
wvnnva said:
Recently I have noticed, when shifting up into 4th and 5th gears, a "secondary" sound something like the gear dropping into position after hearing the usual shifting sounds.
If it isn't grinding, clanking, squeeling, or such, it's normal. A motorcycle sounds a lot different than other vehicles. Just think of all the weird sounds you would hear, that you normally don't, if you drove your car while sitting in the engine compartment. lol

Concerning smooth shifts, it's all technique. When shifting, don't roll the throttle all the way off... just roll it off enough that the engine doesn't rev up when you pull in the clutch. Doing it this way is similar to the technique of double clutching. Your tranny will click rather than clunk when making a shift.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts