GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a long story of time in line at the Santa Barbara DMV, but after a search for an finding the engine number and EPA sticker, now they want to see the VIN in a location other than on the left front of the frame --where the plate is under the left handlebar.

Secondary VIN location? Never heard of such a thing, but who knows?

Now have a referral to have CHPS look at it on the 25th. If there's a secondary VIN location, I'd sure like to know where before I go.

Anybody help?

Thanks!

Todd

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
It's a long story of time in line at the Santa Barbara DMV, but after a search for an finding the engine number and EPA sticker, now they want to see the VIN in a location other than on the left front of the frame --where the plate is under the left handlebar.

Secondary VIN location? Never heard of such a thing, but who knows?

Now have a referral to have CHPS look at it on the 25th. If there's a secondary VIN location, I'd sure like to know where before I go.

Anybody help?

Thanks!

Todd
I believe it's located here:

Sitting on the bike, the ride side plate comes off and the serial number is a veritcal number on the crankcase behind the cyclinders. Remove the engine cover where the engine oil goes in.

·
Registered
7,929 Posts
In most of my dealings with the CA DMV (car, trailer, MC) I believe that they delight in making life difficult for people. :roll: I think most of the employees start their day PISSED OFF and they want to make sure that everybody they deal with is just as miserable as them. Before I retired I supervised a fleet of 500 government vehicles and it was a real joy (NOT) when we had to get the DMV involved in a transaction and we usually got 2-3 different answers depending on who waited on us. Good luck!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In most of my dealings with the CA DMV (car, trailer, MC) I believe that they delight in making life difficult for people. :roll: I think most of the employees start their day PISSED OFF and they want to make sure that everybody they deal with is just as miserable as them. Before I retired I supervised a fleet of 500 government vehicles and it was a real joy (NOT) when we had to get the DMV involved in a transaction and we usually got 2-3 different answers depending on who waited on us. Good luck!
Of my 4 trips to the DMV , things have gone well in 2.5 of them. DL test and issu with MC endorsement no problem. Registering my DL650, no problem. Registering the auto, no problem. It was my bad luck today to get the same turkey who gave me problems with the Wing in the first place. I am hopeful the CHP folks will be better as they likely deal with this stuff all the time. So far my research has identified locations for the VIN, engine number, and frame numberand the EPA stickers.
The vehicle is legally registered in OH and insured, so I'm riding this weekend!

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
When I brought a wing in to Calif from Oregon I had to go through the same process. There is a sticker under the right engine cover. If I remember after a certain year Honda moved it to the inside of the trunk lid ( I could be wrong on that but I know it was under the right side cover for a few years.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For those who are curious--have not yet made the trip to CHP (coming up Tues.), but on an '04 the VIN is on a plate on the left front frame near the steering head (easy to see), engine number under the right side cover on the crankcase and vertical, EPA sticker on mine is on the right side cover, noise compliance is on a sticker on the right front frame near the steering head (easy to see and almost a mirror image of the VIN plate, tire pressure is on a sticker in the trunk, and the service manual shows where the frame number is stamped but I'm having a hard time seeing it.
Pretty sure the "secondary VIN" is a snipe hunt.
So I have taken this legally registered and licensed (State of Ohio, still) and insured vehicle on the 154, the 150, the 190, the 118 and thereabouts to get to the SCRC Ventura chapter ride, down some canyons (Sand Canyon Road?) and beats the hell outta me where we were with those folks out to Lancaster (Crazy Otto's lunch stop), and putted around a bit otherwise and am enjoying myself. It may just be me or it may be the very fashionable county-highway-worker-green vest I wear over my jacket, but cagers seem to "see" motorcycles better here than they do in OH. Very good to have a year-long riding season. Did get rained on and was fortunate to still have my Midwesterner's wet weather gear in a saddlebag.

Red Bull, I owe you a call for a meetup to ride. Looking forward to it.

·
Registered
7,929 Posts
Glad you're able to get out and do some exploring. :thumbup:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CHP was easy, made trip to DMV and fortunately individual who had given me trouble was not there today. Done--CA tags on the 'Wing. As a final irony, had to mangle the plastic license plate bolts to get them off--guess the Ohio tag just didn't want to leave the bike.
One last trip to register the "trailer in a bag" and that will be that for a while.
Guinness time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts