GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost my left speaker grill and ordered a new one from Hal's sale.

What can I do to prevent my speaker grill from coming off again.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts

Tie some fishing line through the grill,you can see where to tie it off with the grill removed (Near the top where you install the Bolt to hold the bezel on)

I wish they held them on with button head screws..Those suckas like to fly off if you don't get them in just right..

·
Registered
195 Posts
Mine have a bit of velco on them

·
Registered
589 Posts

Trade for a 2006 or newer GL1800 ! Honda redesigned that aspect of the bike and it won't blow off :joke:

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
wi-winger;

I lost one too, a long ways back. There is a little trick to installing them that helps assure they won't just blow off. If you just press the little tabs into the little slots, they tend not to hold; but after pressing said tabs into said slots, take two fingers and press on the very center of the speaker cover grid and you will then likely hear a snap as they parts engage more fully. Other than that, the fishline makes sense.

prs

·
Banned
96 Posts
Get better suspension , so you have more dampening and less jolting...:popcorn:

·
Registered
358 Posts
I put a small screw through the grill into the plastic behind it with one otf those "CHROME" (always a good thing) caps over the screw head. Easy to remove and no way it will come off by itself.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Freds idea of using a screw to keep in place was good for me. He drilled a hole on the top edge and placed a screw from a left over VCR case.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
slap it down with the open palm of hand next time, this makes the snaps seat. Pushing it down and little push looks good, but never snaps in place. You just about always hear the tabs snap after slapping it.

·
Registered
19,057 Posts
Get better suspension , so you have more dampening and less jolting...:popcorn:
Sure a $2500 Traxxion system will solve the problem
Seriously a new grill may stay better because the two top tabs can get worn a little and be loose

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
If they are put on right they won't come off, most of the time they aren't seated correctly. But those are some good ideas that were posted here.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the great ideas here.
The thread idea can save me the $$$$ of another grill in the future.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts