GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since you all came to the rescue with my wiring issue, this should be a piece of cake!

Fabriacted a metal cooler rack to attach to the tongue. Don't really want to drill anymore holes in the tongue. Any suggestions on alternatives for securing the rack?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Not sure of the shape or dimensions of your tongue(the one on the trailer), but most cooler racks are affixed to the tongue with some sort of clamp that goes around the tongue. You are wise to avoid drilling holes through the tongue.
The cooler rack on my Aluma is secured with a flat piece of aluminum bent into the shape of the rectangular tongue that then fastens with bolts through the cooler rack.
On my son's Bushtec trailer, with a round tongue, the rack is secured with a standard clamp for round shapes available at most hardware stores, although the one from Bushtec has been chrome plated.
Hope this is of some help. More details available, and/or pictures, if needed. If you provide a little more detail, we might be able to provide additionally helpful suggestions.
Good luck.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Since you all came to the rescue with my wiring issue, this should be a piece of cake!

Fabriacted a metal cooler rack to attach to the tongue. Don't really want to drill anymore holes in the tongue. Any suggestions on alternatives for securing the rack?

Thanks!!
Here is mine that I made....
It has two u-bolts welded to the bottom of the angle iron. It has a strap that fits on the bottom and clamps it to the tongue. No drilling except on the straps.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Welding the U-bolts to the bottom of the cooler rack and attaching around the tongue like RareSS did is exactly what I did when I fabricated mine. My tongue was a 2" square and the inside opening of the U-bolt was 2". After it was installed and tightened down, it was almost as solid as if I had welded it. Very secure set-up. Make sure you post pics when you get this done. You know you've got a bunch of people curious to see what you have accomplished!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well the tounge width is 2 1/2". i have searched high and low for a square u-bolt with that width but have had no luck. I like that idea very much and would like to go that route. any suggestions where I can find a u-bolt with 2 1/2" width?

and don't worry, when this thing is done, i will post lots of pics!

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
well the tounge width is 2 1/2". i have searched high and low for a square u-bolt with that width but have had no luck. I like that idea very much and would like to go that route. any suggestions where I can find a u-bolt with 2 1/2" width?

and don't worry, when this thing is done, i will post lots of pics!

Tractor Supply ! 3 inch.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Here are a few pics. of how I mounted my cooler rack,I used the angle underneath with long bolts,washers,lock washers,and nuts.I used the angle which I built the bottom base from...I've pulled this trailer for 2 years 15,000+ miles
Hope these help

·
Registered
609 Posts
Here are a few pics. of how I mounted my cooler rack,I used the angle underneath with long bolts,washers,lock washers,and nuts.I used the angle which I built the bottom base from...I've pulled this trailer for 2 years 15,000+ miles
Hope these help
:agree: That looks like another good way to do it! :thumbup:

·
Registered
609 Posts
I built mine out of lightweight angle iron screwed together with two pieces of scrap aluminum strap. I did go buy the eyebolts and had a guy weld the u-bolts. Cut and drilled the straps. Put it all together in a couple of hours.
Now I want to build another mount, so my Rivco rack can be attached and removed from the trailer tongue(s). I can use the Rivco rack on the Wing or the trailer(s), that way. :thumbup: I will then find a new owner that could use this one.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I built mine out of lightweight angle iron screwed together with two pieces of scrap aluminum strap. I did go buy the eyebolts and had a guy weld the u-bolts. Cut and drilled the straps. Put it all together in a couple of hours.
Now I want to build another mount, so my Rivco rack can be attached and removed from the trailer tongue(s). I can use the Rivco rack on the Wing or the trailer(s), that way. :thumbup: I will then find a new owner that could use this one.
Jim your cooler rack looks very nice,I thought it was a factory built cooler rack...
That's a great idea to be able to move the rack from the tongue of the trailer,to another hitch mount for just a cooler without the trailer on the wing.
In fact I have some material to build a different cooler rack.
Two large pieces of aluminum angle,one piece of steel square stock that fits in the reciever hitch.
My plans are to weld an offset in my square steel tube to raise the rack a little higher than hitch height so I don't drag...Then I will drill both aluminum anlges for mounting so I can slide both angles to fit different size coolers on the trailer tongue or the extended reciever for the wing without the trailer

1 - 13 of 13 Posts