GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my XM radio this week, mounted it using the RAM mounts. Placed the antenna on the metal plate provided. Very easy mounting but I have one problem. The radio will not stay in its cradle. Can anyone tell me how they keep their radio from bouncing out of the cradle? I was riding on the interstate and hit a bump in the road and out came the radio. Fortunately I caught it before falling off the gas tank.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I strapped mine down with a couple plastic ties. Looks funny but works great. I kept having the same problems with mine.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
KingB said:
I just bought my XM radio this week, mounted it using the RAM mounts. Placed the antenna on the metal plate provided. Very easy mounting but I have one problem. The radio will not stay in its cradle. Can anyone tell me how they keep their radio from bouncing out of the cradle?
Are you using the regular auto-mount cradle? I have one in my car and one on the bike and I swap the radio back and forth regularly. If anything, it's a pretty snug fit in either cradle. In fact, I sometime worry about breaking it when Im trying to pull it out of the cradle. Maybe your cradle is defective, and not providing a tight fit.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Mine never popped out but it has come loose and lost power a couple of times...I put a small piece of velcro on the top of the XT and the antenna platform and ran another piece between the 2. It keeps it nice and secure and takes out any vibration too.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Mine popped out from the get go. I leave it on the bike full time so I put down a film of black silicone and stuck the radio to the cradle. It has been stuck tight for over 20k miles on some very rough roads and down once. I keep a plastic bag to cover it if the weather gets too bad. It is on a Hoon mount.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all your responses. Since I use it in my car as well as the Wing, I guess I better not use the glue method. I think I will try the velcro or a strip of tape. I just don't want to loose it on the road. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts