GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys prevent your bike from being stolen especially when you are on the road?

Are you using a security system? If so how happy are you with it, who made it and about what did it cost?

Is anyone using LoJack? How happy are you with their service and about what does it cost?

Is there anything I am not asking that I should know about security systems for a Wing?

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
security

I've personally never heard of a wing being stolen. Not sure why. The speculation is they ( bad guys ) are too busy stealing crotch rockets ( very light and easily stolen ), and Harleys ( to part out as parts are always needed ). Not a bash, just relating overheard speculation.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Park it on the center stand, fork locked to the left, and put it in reverse before you turn it off.. Takes a MOTIVATED thief to steal 900 pounds of motorcycle that only goes in circles, if it could move at all.

I think the last time anyone stole a Wing must have been back in the '70s.. Just don't leave the RD and the GPS up there on the handlebars.. :lol:

·
Registered
803 Posts
I use the Scorpio i600SE. Happy with it so far. Pics for installation were not too good and had to get them to send me some better ones. I couldn't tell where to plug it in on their instructions.

I use the perimeter alarm and the gas cutoff. If the alarm goes off you're not going but a few yards. Mostly I use it for overnight stays and seldom in the home area.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
How do you guys prevent your bike from being stolen especially when you are on the road?

Are you using a security system? If so how happy are you with it, who made it and about what did it cost?

Is anyone using LoJack? How happy are you with their service and about what does it cost?

Is there anything I am not asking that I should know about security systems for a Wing?

Thanks,

Bill
Insurance?? If they're determined to get it, they will.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I have traveled on a Wing for 25 years, been in every state except 3, never had a problem, even left the keys hanging out of the trunk a few times, they just don't steal Gold Wings. One of my favorite answers to this question was by a Harley rider many years back, He said his security device for his Harley was a cover with "GOLDWING" written on the side.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Yes, GoldWings are stolen, but not at a high rate. (A friend had his '77 stolen from his garage.) They are vandalized and knocked over by those that don't respect others' property, however. I put a very (~$40) inexpensive eBay remote alarm on mine that I only use when parking it at big box stores (to scare the rug rats off) and in motel lots at night (to reduce vandalism). It sounds the alarm and the pager remote. It is a bit too sensitive to thunderstorms and open-exhaust Harleys, however.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I Just lock mine and take the key with me. Never have locked the Forks.

I already have more "Wife Required" Elec. gadgets on it, than I need.
I almost have to retrain myself everytime I ride it.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
With well over 400k on my wings, I have never had an alarm, never had any vandalism and never had anything stolen from the bike. I put on a cover in the motel parking lot (usually NOT the Marriott and not always the best part of town) and have often been known to leave the keys in the ignition under the cover.

Insurance and a good attitude. I'm covered. No alarm necessary. There's enough to worry about without wasting energy worrying about something that seldom, if ever happens.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I use the Scorpio i900. I have it mostly for peace of mind. I'm sure it's not the number one bike on the list to steal, but It is all I have and I don't want to worry about it. So the alarm is mostly for me. It might not deter the most determined thief, but it might discourage the casual one or the vandal.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
One question,
With all the alarm set offs, for various reasons, that prove to be nothing, when was the last time you even turned you head to look in the direction of an alarm sounding-let along going to investigate?

I always pick as place to stay, when traveling, that will allow me to park near the front door in a spot in plain view of the check in counter. If they say no, I move on.

I have the world's nosiest neighbor, so no ones gonna get in my garage without her knowing about it:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
i have the scorpio i900.........dawg....you are probably right about the noise........but i have it because it sends the alarm to my remote and i can check it out.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I agree that having to remote helps. When mine has gone off, I always check it myself.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have a xena. Locks the front wheel so it wont roll and makes a racket when the bike moves. It makes me feel a bit safer

1 - 16 of 16 Posts