GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need to pay more attention when driving their 4-wheel vehicles.

Billy Lane's truck, motorcycle collide on A1A near Melbourne Beach

Article here

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
I bet he says "I never saw him"
didn't see the double yellow lines either!!!!!!!! :evil:

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Well in the nature of being "balanced", Lane should have the book thrown at him! Crossing a double yellow lane marking IS still illegal (isn't it)?

I hope he DOES do some jail time and not just some lame community service. Afterall, someone lost their life because of him.

·
Registered
792 Posts
He'll get away with it if nothing shows in his blood work. It's to much work to make a case. A guy in Arizona exited highway at over 60 mph, rear ended a van, killed a family of four, still walking around because nothing in his blood work, and it's to hard to put him behind bars. Only four people dead.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I hope he considers that dead man one of his own. A fellow
two wheeler. :evil:

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
A lot of the time, criminal charges aren't filed immediately to limit the chance of dismissal on some technicality. The victim isn't going to get any deader, and the case may well become stronger. I expect Lane will be charged with negligent homicide or manslaughter. Then it will be up to the courts to give him the usual "celebrity discretion." In any case, I bet he wishes he could take back that behavior. :(

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
wk4bg8s said:
need to pay more attention when driving their 4-wheel vehicles.

Billy Lane's truck, motorcycle collide on A1A near Melbourne Beach

Article here
I've traveled on that road many times, last being about two weeks ago. Many locals and tourists I noticed are always in a rush to pass on this 45 mph average limit road over double yellow lines. I can never remember a ride that someone hasn't past me on this road illegally while am doing the speed limit.

Its a shame that another local biker ridng safely on his moped wearing his helmet had to pay the ultimate price because of an IDIOT that couldn't be patient and was now in a rush, to work the rest of his life for the benefit of the moped rider's family. It makes it that much worse when its another biker killing another biker while driving his cage, he KNEW BETTER!

For those that don't know A1-A in Melbourne Beach, its a mostly scenic straight two lane road with the Atlantic ocean on the East and the Indian River on the West. Melborne Beach is an island about a half mile wide with A1-A running from North to South. Plenty of pedestrians, bicyclists, moped and all sorts of motorcycles riding either on the road or pedaling or walking just off the side. Too many people walk across this road to get to and from the beaches. This is not a road to be in a rush on, all locals are aware of this, there is no excuse!

·
Registered
511 Posts
I can see the headlines now " Big Biker Dude Kills Little Biker Dude"
If we don't look out for each other who will :cry:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
It always kills me that they comment on whether the bike rider was wearing a helmet or not - like if he wasn't then he got what he deserved -like a helmet would have protected him on his little moped in a head on crash with a truck. If they said he was not wearing one what purpose would saying that have served other than to insinuate he was doing wrong therefore somewhat to blame for his own death. The fact they bothered to state he was wearing one insinuates he was doing the right thing therefore no blame.

The motorcyclist, identified as 56-year-old Melbourne Beach resident Gerald Morelock, was wearing a helmet. He suffered extensive injuries during the collision with the pickup and was pronounced dead at the scene.
Same with the Pittsburg quarterback - all you heard about was he was not wearing a helmet ... like he deserved what he got - nobody ever gave the old biddy that pulled out in front of him hell, chased her down for comments, followed up on charges, etc etc

As long as a person is obeying the laws there should be no insinuation they share any blame for their injuries or death detracting from the negligent and unlawful actions of the other person that hurt or killed them.

I always wear a helmet and respect those who choose to not wear one but it is getting tiring that when someone is in an accident that is not their fault some blame seems to go their way if they are not wearing one even though they are abiding by the law.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'm not sure it's any different for car accidents. Most of the articles I read state if the driver/passenger of the car was wearing a seatbelt or not.

It's a relevant fact that's just part of the story, no big deal. I would feel like they left out relevant info if they didn't say whether the rider was wearing a helmet or not, wouldn't you?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
JR&JR said:
He'll get away with it if nothing shows in his blood work. It's to much work to make a case. A guy in Arizona exited highway at over 60 mph, rear ended a van, killed a family of four, still walking around because nothing in his blood work, and it's to hard to put him behind bars. Only four people dead.
I don't see that happening. Chopper builders are a bunch of meth heads.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update:

Seems that State Troopers have enough probable cause to suspect that
Lane was in fact under the influence and impaired at the time of the
accident, but are awaiting final toxicology results.

Ironically Gerald Morelock the rider killed, was considering giving up his
riding days due to the dangers invloved.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I am sure that if I was in Billy's place weather I was charged or not I would pay for this for the rest of my life in my own mind. None of us know all the facts yet, none of us was there and most of all none of knows how this man feels or what he's dealing with. My heart goes out to all that were involved and or affected by this terrible event. May God bless them all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts