GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who got a good deal on bike but it won't turn over. Stored without cylinder fogger. How to get it freed up the easy way Brake free oil or what. I know it probably isn't going to be fixed the easy way but there is always hope.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Remove plugs. Pour in in Marvel Mystery oil. Let sit a day or two. See if it will crank over by hand.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
How long was it stored? It shouldn't have been an issue even for several years unless it was seeping coolant into a cylinder.
I'd pull the plugs and talke a peep with a bore scope. If it's not too bad, spray some PB Blaster into the bad cylinder and let it set for a day or so. Blast excess penetrating oil out with compressed air and repeat the process a few times. Then try a push start and dump the clutch in 2nd gear. If that won't free it up you have some serious problems.

Jeff...

·
Registered
775 Posts
Hate to ask the obvious, but did he pull all six plugs and then try to turn the motor over? If it does have something in one of the cylinders, it could be hydrolocked. just a thougth

·
Registered
687 Posts
I think the product name is Kroil. Used in the aircraft industry to free up engines. Good stuff.

·
Registered
316 Posts
If it has been stored on the side stand it could be hydro-locked. It could have oil in one of the cylinders.
i agree pull the plugs and try to turn it over

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
penetrating oil, plugs out two or three days of soaking then put it on the center stand, high gear and use the rear wheel (as gently as possible) as a bit of a spinning hammer to work the crankshaft back and forth until it breaks loose.

In an extreme case a friend who restores old tractors takes a spark plug, breaks out the center and welds a fitting to it and screws in a grease zerk. This is placed in the cylinder that is closest to the top of it's stoke (without being TDC) and he starts pumping in all purpose grease. Within minutes the hydraulic pressure of the grease has forced the cylinders free. He has freed some seriously stuck motors this way... Kerosene is used to wash the grease out and then he starts the motor. I have been present to see the ugly smoke aftermath as the cylinder burns clean, but it is always a sweet moment when the old motor springs to life.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
We have used transmission fluid in some old tractors to free the cylinders. Have to let it sit a couple days.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
stored bike

aj48, I know of engines where mice have

stored peanuts in the cylinders and

muffler of engines. Remove the spark

plugs and borescope.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
aj48, I know of engines where mice have

stored peanuts in the cylinders and

muffler of engines. Remove the spark

plugs and borescope.
How could mice get peanuts in the cylinders? :shrug:

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Not likely, unless they chewed through or around the air filter, then managed to find a cylinder with an intake valve open.... regardless, once the engine fired up... yuk what a mess that would make... wonder how long it would take the cat to burn up mouse parts.....

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
mice

Biker John, Mice intered the engines through

the mufflers. Amazing? Yes!

Can a mouse inter a Goldwing engine? :shrug:

I have never seen the inside of a Goldwing

muffler. Nor the ex. valve. My suggestion

to borescope each cylinder stands.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Mice

Not likely, unless they chewed through or around the air filter, then managed to find a cylinder with an intake valve open.... regardless, once the engine fired up... yuk what a mess that would make... wonder how long it would take the cat to burn up mouse parts.....

Larry Price, OK. Catalystic converter !!!!

Good catch. :bow:

·
Registered
878 Posts
So many things come to mind here... First need to know if it's an interference engine (i.e. do we have a broken belt here?)... Is the problem mechanical in nature (parts interfering with each other) or is it a corrosion issue??? If it's an interference type engine and you have issues with the valves hitting a piston, then some of the above mentioned methods could yield you a basket case motor (i.e. bent up valves and damaged pistons)...
Have a good look through the spark plug holes before doing anything else... I realize this advise is 3 days lod now, but hopefully it comes to you soon enough...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts