GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual says to use Hypoid gear oil SAE 80 which is a GL5 oil. Ive read suggestions on GL1800 Tech Board to change to Mobile 1 synthetic 75W90. My concern is that the GL5 75W90 lubricants state they are for Limited Slip (LS) differentials. After searching the web for more info on this, I can not determine if these synthetic gear lubes contain an additive for the LS Diff or not?
I do not want an LS additive in my wing. :(
I've found a GL5 75W90 full synthetic gear oil by Castrol marketed for outboard motor foots. It does not have the LS designation, although I suspect it is the same oil as they market for differentials.
Anyone have any info on this? :?:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I have not found a 80w hypoid oil. Even MH's is a multiweight. What is the signifigance of using a LS oil? I have been using Valvoline Blend(I think). If memory serves it is 80W90 and OK for hypoid applications. Could LS be another way to say hypoid?

Trivia question for the group: Why doesn't the Wing's rear end hop up and down with throttle action like many other shaft bikes?

Here is a hint: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/gear4.htm

:oops: See Below

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
My dealer carries a lot of differant brands and types of oils. So I can choose what I wish. The way I see it ? If Honda recomends a certain kind and type ? Then go to your dealer and purchase the type thats recomended, and you can't go wrong. IMO

·
Registered
300 Posts
tater shaft lift?

the reason most shaft drive bikes wouldlift the rear end was the shaft was ont thr left side of the bike and the direction the shaft had to turn to drive the bikeforward would also apply torsional forces throuhg the housing and suspension causing the lift .the goldwing has the shft ont the right side and the forces would then be transfered throught the front of the bike due to the direction of the shafts rotation .that bieng said it is also due to the advances in placement of the shafts hindged joints proportional to the static or unmoving parts of the bike ..ie better suspension designs.. if some one know me to be wrong plese correct me ...i just sound like i know what i am saying sometimes..lol

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Jake4440.
You may be correct. If credibility were my only concern I would bow out of this thread. :oops: I have made an error in my understanding of the Wing's mechanics. There was a thread some while back that I misread. I mistakenly thought the Wing had a hypoid gear arrangement. Hypoid gears would eliminate any vertical movement from drive torque. After checking the bike and SM I now know the gears are the spiral type.

My question still stands but I don't know the answer.

Why doesn't the Wing's rear end hop up and down with throttle action like many other shaft bikes?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I believe the hiking of the rear end is also affected by the weight of the bike, when I first got my new 74 BMW, before I had any saddlebags on it, the rear end hiking up on acceleration was very obvious, after I got it loaded down with accessories I never noticed it again, I speculate the additional weight subdued the tendency, I have never noticed it on a Wing at all, and I've been riding Wings since 1978.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts