GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a quick easy way to bypass the blinkers canceling by themselves on my 2008? I am a firm believer of using them and coming off a bike W/O self cancelers find they time out before I'm ready for them too and having to restart them. Then I always find myself pushing the switch to turn them off anyway from riding a Valkyrie for 13 years............go figure

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Why not try not turning them on so soon? "Defensive Driving" course I took recommended six blinks is enough. Mine have never cancelled too soon.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
The automatic shut off is really a "lane changing" feature..
.. above about 30 mph they turn off automatically
... great for lane changing on the interstate.

But..
.. below about 30 mph they will stay on and not cancel
.... they work as you expect them to.

I guess Honda "thinks" if you're really going make a turn,
then slowing down first is a good idea? :shrug:

Dennis

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,465 Posts
Yes, they will turn off at any speed above 0 mph. They use the speedometer pulse signal to do this. You can cut or pull the pin of the white/black wire going to the cancel unit and it won't know if you're moving or not so they will flash all day.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is what I was looking for..........thanks

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Yes, they will turn off at any speed above 0 mph...
well, ok, now I have to go check again.
I would have bet (and lost?) they stay on if you put them on below about 30 something..

thanks,
Dennis

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,465 Posts
Just be very careful with that little connector, the wires are very small and if you break one of the others, your signals will be dead.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just for the record..................
"unplugging" the connector won't do the trick, it's cutting the Black/White wire that defeats the self canceling operation?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,465 Posts
If you unplug the whole connector, the turn signals will no longer flash. Pulling the pin on that one wire will keep the signals flashing and the cancel unit won't cancel them.

LL, if you want an easier spot to disconnect the wire, look in the C16 connector under the right fairing pocket. The white/black wire runs thru there on it's way to the little connector.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Again, thanks TD2K, I'll get to it under the pocket.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
There must be something wrong with mine because they turn off at any speed. If I am at a total stop, they will stay on.
I just went out and did some test runs...

my blinkers work pretty much as I described..
(although below 25 and not 30 as I said earlier).

above 25, they time out after about 6-7 seconds

below 25, as long as I'm continually de-accelerating toward zero,
the do not time out, they stay on.
.. I did about 4-5 test runs
... the longest was almost 30 seconds from putting them
on to coming to a full stop, and they stayed on the entire time.

To the OP..
I do realize that's not what you asked about..
.. sorry for the "hi-jack" :oops:

Dennis

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,465 Posts
That's strange Wingwing, mine will shut off after 7 seconds no matter how slow I go and that's what the owners manual says they should do. Shut off after 7 seconds or traveling approx. 110 yds. No speed is specified. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
That's strange Wingwing, mine will shut off after 7 seconds no matter how slow I go and that's what the owners manual says they should do. Shut off after 7 seconds or traveling approx. 110 yds. No speed is specified. :shrug:
:shrug:
I was "fuzzy" about the speed because I first noticed it "way back" when I had my 2007..
so, until now, I never tested it on my 2008.

but now I see my 2008 works the same as my 2007.

I can take some videos if that will help?

a few months ago, someone else posted about this too..
... I'm not sure who.. I just thought it was one of those
undocumented features.

Dennis

edit.. add to the confusion... :)

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2877896&postcount=7

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Here is the post from the link Dennis posted:

A) Don't turn it on so far from your turn if you're still moving. Or, LIGHTLY apply the brake....just enough to activate the brake light switch, and it'll stay on until you release the brakes.

B) If you're stopped, as long as the brake is applied, the signal will stay on.

But, I know what you're asking. I like to have mine on for a good ways back from my turn, too.
Mine still doesn't act like that. Plus I have also noticed that much of the time my left turn signal only stays on a fraction of the time that the right one stays on.

Dennis, thanks for testing and providing your results.

And here is what my Owner's Manual says:
The turn signal switch is used to signal a turn. To operate, move the switch all the way to the left or right and release it. The appropriate turn signal lights will start blinking. The lights will automatically stop when you complete the turn. (You can manually cancel the lights by pushing the switch in.)

To signal a lane change, move the switch all the way to the left or right and
release it. The turn signal lights will automatically stop in 7 seconds or after
riding 110 yards (120 m).

Clear as mud 'eh?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,465 Posts
I don't know why some bikes will do that, but I know it has nothing to do with the brake light system. The only thing those 2 light systems have in common is the battery and ground. I haven't looked it up, but maybe the later years have a "smarter" cancel unit that can tell the speed is dropping.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts