GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, my first post. I first want to say thank you to all of you for your posts, your evaluation of products and all of the items you have figured out on this bike and posted about. There is not a single question that I have that wasn't answered by searching through the posts here. It is very much appreciated, and you should be proud of the community you have built here.

So on to my topic. I am thrilled with this bike, best bike evar. However I am very disappointed in the self canceling turn signals to the point that I have contacted Honda. My letter is below, if you agree and would like to feel free to reword it/rip it off and pass it on to Honda. Just hit the link below and select the first choice and speak your mind.

Will it help, we don't know. But sometimes these efforts do work. I mobilized a bunch of riders in Ohio and we now have legislation making its way through the process to remove Ohio's restriction on ear plugs for motorcycles. So it can happen.

https://powersports.honda.com/Communication/Contact.aspx

My letter:

Hello,
I am writing you regarding my new 2018 Honda Goldwing Tour. I would first like to say that this is, by far, the finest motorcycle I have ever owned. It is truly an engineering marvel and a joy to pilot. I do have one concern though; the self-canceling turn signals.

In their current implementation they are unpredictable and they simply turn off FAR too soon. I often find that I have to turn them back on before I complete my turn. That is of course very hard to keep track of as you are slowing down, down shifting, watching traffic and planning your turn. It has gotten to the point where I no longer use this feature as it is safety hazard. People around you think you have changed your mind and that you are not going to turn for example.

This concern is being echoed throughout the Goldwing community. Any of the online message boards or Facebook groups have many riders saying the exact same thing about this system. It is even mentioned in many reviews of the bike, for example:

“The new self-canceling turn signals are welcome, but need fine-tuning. They cancel too early, and often I found I had to restart the signal again before reaching my turn—sometimes twice.”
https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2018/01/24/2018-honda-gold-wing-tour-dct-review-34-fast-facts/

We need a software update to address this issue. Thank you in advance for your time and attention to this issue.

·
Vendor
22,069 Posts
I doubt this can be fixed with a software update. It's controlled by the front control unit, and I seriously doubt that it can be reprogrammed via a firmware flash. Honda would most likely have to redesign the internal hardware to make this happen.

·
Registered
470 Posts
As Red said, it's been the same since 2001. Yes they turn off way too soon but Honda arent likely to change that. I just get in the habit of hitting the switch a few times as I approach my turn to keep it on. Or as RickLB said, turn it off in the Options and manually cancel the signal. At least the new WIng has that option, the '01-17 didnt.

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I hit the turn signal and keep my finger on it until the first short time lapse has passed when it would normally turn off. Then I can let go, and the signal stays on indefinitely. Then you have to turn it off manually. Am I the only one who does this?

Joe

·
Love The DCT
12,020 Posts
I hit the turn signal and keep my finger on it until the first short time lapse has passed when it would normally turn off. Then I can let go, and the signal stays on indefinitely. Then you have to turn it off manually. Am I the only one who does this?

Joe

I do not do that. I turned off the self cancelling feature and haven't looked back since then.

:doorag:

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,556 Posts
The old wing had the same issue for its entire 17 year run and it was a disappointment that Honda didn't finally address this small issue with the redesigned new model.

I just do what I've been doing for the last 17 years now riding a Gold Wing...I hit the turn signal button again as I'm making the turn. Its ingrained in my mind and I don't even think about...but I've always said that Honda should copy Yamaha's self-canceling turn signals because Yamaha has always had it right...my 1999 Yamaha self-canceling turn signals work perfectly.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
It was the same with my 1996 GL1500. I just flick my thumb and restart the cycle. No big deal for me. No matter what, some will complain the cycle is too short and some will complain it is too long.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It has been my observation that if you turn on the signal at a constant or increasing speed, the signal will stay on for 7 seconds. It apparently thinks you are just switching lanes. If you are already decelerating when you turn on the signal then the angle sensor will turn off the signal. Then again this may just be wishful thinking. Who knows for sure what the electrons in the cpu are really doing.

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It has been my observation that if you turn on the signal at a constant or increasing speed, the signal will stay on for 7 seconds. It apparently thinks you are just switching lanes. If you are already decelerating when you turn on the signal then the angle sensor will turn off the signal. Then again this may just be wishful thinking. Who knows for sure what the electrons in the cpu are really doing.
I have seen similar behavior in other situations. Right turn signal and come to a stop....very quickly after you start moving it goes off. It assumes you are first in line and have turned or something. If you are a few cars back it goes off before the corner, telling the person behind you that you are not turning anymore.

And maybe I am seeing things that are confusing me, but it is far more than just 'too short'. It has some really odd habits in some situations.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have them set to auto, but 7 seconds is not near long enough.

Put 60k on an FJR in the past four years, so turning the signal off manually an ingrained habit.......I can continue to turn them off manually. It WOULD be nice however if along with an on/off option, they could give us a time to choose from, such as 10 seconds/20 seconds, etc.

Reactions: gkarasik and Hoopdc

·
Registered
153 Posts
Agree the self cancel turn sigs on the 2018 GW is a complete shortcoming. I have turned them off but often times , one does not turn them back off hence another issue. HD and Indian turn signals work much better than the GW.....one would think Honda would have fixed this a long time ago.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The old wing had the same issue for its entire 17 year run and it was a disappointment that Honda didn't finally address this small issue with the redesigned new model.

I just do what I've been doing for the last 17 years now riding a Gold Wing...I hit the turn signal button again as I'm making the turn. Its ingrained in my mind and I don't even think about...but I've always said that Honda should copy Yamaha's self-canceling turn signals because Yamaha has always had it right...my 1999 Yamaha self-canceling turn signals work perfectly.
Ditto. My 1983 XJ650 self-cancelling signals work flawlessly. C'mon Honda.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I read somewhere that H-D has patent protection on their self-cancelling system for turn signals. Theirs does seem to be the best.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts