GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello board been a lurker for a long time and got a lot of good tips from you folks,Lots of knowlege here and a great bunch of people. We have been wanting a trike for a couple of years now So I'am starting on the great adventure. Decided to tirke my 02 wing with a champion kit. Just for the fun of it I'am going to change the color to. bike is naked and I'am strarting sanding prosses . I'am Doing the install my self and the paint work. At this point I was wondering if anyone had done there own install? And if so what major problems you encountered? Did you have problems getting it insured? My insurance co. insures it as a accessory. Should that be a concern?

thi snafu

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Congrats. No exp. w/ self install, but if you are a decent wrench, sure it can be done.

My insurance co. also calls the kit an accessory so I don't see a problem if that is how they classify it.

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
Take some pictures of the process and post them here.

Interesting to see it painted and instsalled...

I have a CSC trike, but would still like to see someone install one himself...Good Luck..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Put mine together fine and no problem with insurance (Foremost). The thing that you have to watch is the instruction are not too good .The trunk stay will have to be cut (the square tubing), to insert some square stock.Make sure you don't get the trunk stay out of square or your trunk attachment bolts won't line up at assembly :oops: Had to take apart and fix, one side did not line up correctly.Other than that it was a piece of cake and the easy steer was no problem.Good luck and am around for any other questions...John

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I don't have a trike, but I hope your handle (snafu) isn't an indicator of what happens with your projects? :wink:

Good luck. If I was to trike mine, I think I'd like to do it myself, also.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
There is a person in Lansing that has installed a Champion kit also. If you go to the GWRRA web site for MI and then click on chapter L. Then look at either their news letter or web site and you will see a name Lance. Shoot him a email or phone call and he can give you some helpful information on installing the kit by your self.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Would like to know if Champion sells to people like us or does it have to through a dealer to purchase.
What price range does run in ?
also what about painting the unit?
thanks
,edmund
ps
happy new year folks!!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Having gone though this about 1 year ago, Yes you can order a Champion kit, without having to go though a dealer, and also have them paint it to match. I did myself, however, ordered from a Champion dealer, just in case of any problems that might have shown, although nothing did. The basis kit is $6,500, plus painting is about $750, plus what ever add-on's you would want. The price should the same, dealer or direct ship to you. My kit wasn't install by that dealer, but I didn't do it, but was installed by a local honda tech. If you want a trike, the Champion for sure, is the best bang for the buck out there, almost problem free, and also has the largest truck. It would be best to deal with your closest Champion dealer, and have them installed it, or by a motorcycle tech elsewhere.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks

Thanks for the replies guys. We bought are kit though a dealer . He is a great guy and it still leaves me the option of calling on him if I run into a major problem, or need warranty work.

Yes some time's snafu's happen lol.

will give Linn a call as soon as I get a chance. Always good to talk to someone who has been there and done that.

thanks again to all that respond . cya in the wind snafu

S

·
0 Posts
Snafu, I did the installed my Champion. The only two things I ran into was I had to drill a new hole in the reverse resistor mounting bar. You have to watch the placement of the resistor so it won't hit the body. The other thing only applies if you bought the running boards. If you do have them install the front screw and clamp the rear to the trike body. Do this while you are at the point of installing the body. Once the running boards are lined up the body will line up real easy. Without the boards on you can line the body up but later find out you are off and the running boards won't fit right. I hope that's sort of clear. If you have any questions send me a PM and I can give you my phone number.

Tom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts