GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Read Only
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone make a self conversion full trike kit? Not talking about TowPac or Voyager, but a full blown trike kit like the Hannigan or CSC. My brother and I have been modifying and customizing cars for several years as a hobby. I am perfectly capable of doing the work myself, and have an exccellent (Honda recommended) paint and body man for the shine.

Stan

·
Registered
175 Posts
Champion Trikes does sell to do-it-youselfers. Although I had my 1800 done by a honda tech, my friend with a 97 1500 decided to do the work himself, with the Champion kit. He was able to do although he's not a tech, or anything like that. The total time was about 50 hours total, he thinks.

The Champion is about the lowest cost kit out there, has the largest truck, and I believe the best kit out there. If nothing else, for sure it's the best bang for a buck out there. We both have put on over 10,000 miles each on these trikes, have loved every minute of it, and we know for sure we made the right choice. Just my 2 cents, based on experience.

championtrikes.com

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
Before you "self-install" your trike, check with your insurance company. My understanding is that some insurance companies will not insure self installed or self built trikes.

My not matter to your insurance co, but I would check anyway.

Just some FYI.

I

·
0 Posts
Champion (and probably others) can be self installed. But unless you have a good facility to work in, have lots of tools and equipment and are very good mechanically, I don't recommend it.

Go to a qualified and experienced dealer for the trike kit you choose, and have it installed. At the least you have someplace to go back to if there are problems.

I had my Champion installed by a Champion dealer who knows his business, and I have never had a problem of any kind, other than a cracked face after miles of smiles.

My $.02 Ride safe.

·
Registered
224 Posts
self installed trike kits

I installed my own motor trike kit, I worked for 26 years as a machine tech. for American Greetings so I have some mechanical abilities, it was not very complcated to me but I have been a shadetree mechanic all my life and have always had to work on my own cars, so if you are the same it may be fun for you as it was me. I now have over 25,000 miles on it and the only problem I have had is with the brakes,(poor design, some engineer had too much time on his hands) like the others said check with your ins. agent also check with the trike co. to see if they will stand behind their kit if you install it. I have more pics. just click on the www at the bottom of my post, I also took the bags and made the nifty little trailer and all the stainless steel trim on the trike and trailer. Larry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts