GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been selling a few items on this forum as well as a couple of others. Big or larger items are becoming dang near impossible to get shipped within any reasonable cost. Most recently I sold my Hartco seat from my 15 F6B and it was going from Ohio to Oregon. Guy that bought it made me an offer and told me to get a shipping quote. I took the label from the box that Hartco shipped the seat to me in and that label had the weight and box size right on it. Since the post office is generally cheapest I went there and got a quote, $66.25 to ship the seat. E-mailed the buyer, he agreed and paid me right away. I took the boxed up seat back to the post office to ship it and the lady wanted $203.60 to ship it! Completely dumbfounded I ask how that's even possible as I have a quote, she told me the quote is correct but did not include an "oversize" charge of $137.35. I took the seat back and called the guy and we managed to get it shipped Fedex for around $120.00.
So for people selling items beware of shipping costs for larger items.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
it was going from Ohio to Oregon.
That is part of the reason. There are different rates for shipping to different regions of the country.

Yep, it pays to shop around between USPS, UPS and FedEx. And don't forget the USPS flat rate boxes. Sometimes heavy items will fit in one of those and go cheaper, relatively speaking.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Been selling a few items on this forum as well as a couple of others. Big or larger items are becoming dang near impossible to get shipped within any reasonable cost. Most recently I sold my Hartco seat from my 15 F6B and it was going from Ohio to Oregon. Guy that bought it made me an offer and told me to get a shipping quote. I took the label from the box that Hartco shipped the seat to me in and that label had the weight and box size right on it. Since the post office is generally cheapest I went there and got a quote, $66.25 to ship the seat. E-mailed the buyer, he agreed and paid me right away. I took the boxed up seat back to the post office to ship it and the lady wanted $203.60 to ship it! Completely dumbfounded I ask how that's even possible as I have a quote, she told me the quote is correct but did not include an "oversize" charge of $137.35. I took the seat back and called the guy and we managed to get it shipped Fedex for around $120.00.

Yes. I sold an OEM seat across the country and the shipping was so much higher than expected I took a beating on it. It wasn’t fair for the buyer. Next time I’m triple checking

·
Registered
145 Posts
she told me the quote is correct but did not include an "oversize" charge of $137.35.
If they had the dimensions of the box, then they did not give you an accurate quote. What she said makes no sense, unless you said give me a quote but don't include all charges.

Reactions: CAWing

·
Registered
85 Posts
Don’t forget. To always google for a coupon. I used a 40% last week for UPS. And today I used a 20% off. Yes box size matters. But should have quoted u all that up front.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
This is exactly why I will not, take my time to give someone a shipping cost, & I have many times took the time to pack an item & taken it to the local Post Office to get the buyer a shipping cost, only to have the buyer not only buy the item...but didn't have the courtesy to say "THANKS BUT I WILL PAST"

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If they had the dimensions of the box, then they did not give you an accurate quote. What she said makes no sense, unless you said give me a quote but don't include all charges.
The shipping charge was correct but she neglected to mention the "oversize" charge that went with it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I always box it up and with the dimensions and weight go online and get quotes. They quotes can differ by quite a bit. I check Fedex, UPS and USPS.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I always box it up and with the dimensions and weight go online and get quotes. They quotes can differ by quite a bit. I check Fedex, UPS and USPS.
Me too. I have FedEx and UPS accounts and can even print the label from the quotes without incurring any obligation until the box is entered into the shipping stream.

USPS quotes are often screwed up, but the others can be too. But once I’ve got the label with the quote, if it is bought, I just slap the label in the pouch and drop it off. They’ve never hit me with an upcharge after the fact. It shows up on my linked credit card as it was on the quote.

Some things are not worth the shipping though. Cross country is always more unless it fits in a priority mail box.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have found if you can ship to a business address it's generally cheaper with UPS.
Yes. There is an upcharge for residential service for FedEx too. Use the actual address when quoting.

·
IronMan
17,627 Posts
i have found if you can ship to a business address it's generally cheaper with ups.
same with fedex usually use them to ship seats i sell around $75 florida to out west also check online direct with usps or ups put in measurements n weight and get quote n print label - drop off ! No problems THATS WHY I TRY N GET PARTS OR DROP OFF ON MY TRIPS . FREIGHT USUALLY DEAL BREAKER

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
236 Posts
I once got a perfect condition "free" exhaust for a zzr1200 I got from a member on another forum. I only had to pay for shipping. After it was packed and shipped by ups store, it was a $75 exhaust with scratches.....

·
motorcycle cowboy
933 Posts
same with fedex usually use them to ship seats i sell around $75 florida to out west also check online direct with usps or ups put in measurements n weight and get quote n print label - drop off ! No problems THATS WHY I TRY N GET PARTS OR DROP OFF ON MY TRIPS . FREIGHT USUALLY DEAL BREAKER
Just in case anyone needed proof.....:grin2:

Attachments

·
IronMan
17,627 Posts

Attachments

·
IronMan
17,627 Posts
Wouldn't a pickup be more effective for moving that stuff?
THATS WHAT I DO …..PICK STUFF UP !!! IF ON A TRIP AND ITS ON THE WAY I MAKE ARRANGEMENTS TO GET . WITH COST OF FREIGHT COULDNT RESELL IT . BEEN WORKING OUT ALRIGHT SO FAR . MEET PEOPLE AND TRAVEL ROUTES I MITE NOT NORMALY TAKE. ALL IT DOSES IS HELP PAY FOR MY TRIPS AND GETS GOODS TO PEOPLE LOOKING FOR PARTS AT A FAIR PRICE . WIN .. WIN .. :wink2::grin2:

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
ya i'm getting pretty good at "loading" up. haven't had anything fall off ! :smile2:
Beverly Hillbillies learned how to load their truck from Unclejohn!!:joke::joke:
Sorry John, I couldn't resist.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts