GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guy's as the old saying goes, all good things must come to an end, I have a 2006 Premium Audio Comfort, factory CB with around 60,000 miles, always been garaged kept, going to sell it, any idea what price I should start at? Has factory heated seat and grips, everything works. :shrug:

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Good luck... the new model killed the value of ours John.

I have seen some ridiculous low prices... still not selling. It's a craps shoot.

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
Most buyers want to start with a "clean canvas." Therefore, when I sell one I remove all aftermarket accessories, but leave on the OEM Hondaline accessories. Things like a Hondaline CB can add value.

I've had great success selling them these 2 ways. In both cases take good pictures that represent the external condition of the Wing.

eBay ... 7day actuation that ends at 6pm CA time, with no reserve, and bidding starting at $0.01.

Craigslist ... before doing Craiglist, do you homework well and know what your Wing will end up selling for. Such homework does not include what people on eBay hope to get, but what sellers are actually getting. Then, list it about $500 to high, but in the add be sure to state that you will be lowering the price $300 for each week it does not sell.

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
Good luck... the new model killed the value of ours John.

I have seen some ridiculous low prices... still not selling. It's a craps shoot.
I I actually think the new Wings have supported better pricing for the pre 18 wings depending on color I think the red one's self or a little less titanium metallic black blue probably get a few dollars more I probably started $9,999 I think you're going to get a sale between 6500 in like 8500 I think you said you had 60,000 miles

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I I actually think the new Wings have supported better pricing for the pre 18 wings depending on color I think the red one's self or a little less titanium metallic black blue probably get a few dollars more I probably started $9,999 I think you're going to get a sale between 6500 in like 8500 I think you said you had 60,000 miles
Ya 60,000 miles, just looking for a place to start.It is the Cabernet red, no add on's except CB and MP3 Player.No damage to any of the plastics, even still has the original windshield.
Bike is stock.

Just don't ride it anymore.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Depending on where you are, I guess, but I bought a 2003 ABS with CB last year, only 34,000 miles, with a whole bunch of other farkles (heated grips, arm rests, luggage rack, etc.) for $6,500.

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
Depending on where you are, I guess, but I bought a 2003 ABS with CB last year, only 34,000 miles, with a whole bunch of other farkles (heated grips, arm rests, luggage rack, etc.) for $6,500.
His is a 2006 and remember 03 had the cracked frame issues. Speedo wrong . Just giving op some ammo against your 6500 sales price. So when he gets offers he knows what up bot tring to flame you.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
His is a 2006 and remember 03 had the cracked frame issues. Speedo wrong . Just giving op some ammo against your 6500 sales price. So when he gets offers he knows what up bot tring to flame you.
Thanks,

Guess I'll advertize it for around 9900.00 and see what happens.It also has Centramatic Stainless Wheel Balancers front and rear.

Reactions: William Anzik

·
Registered
109 Posts
The local HD dealership by me has a 2013 GoldWing with 8k miles and an advertised price of $12,499 with a bunch of farkles. Their promotion is sales tax amount off so here in FL it is 6.5% which brings it down into the 11s. Just a heads up on values in my area.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The local HD dealership by me has a 2013 GoldWing with 8k miles and an advertised price of $12,499 with a bunch of farkles. Their promotion is sales tax amount off so here in FL it is 6.5% which brings it down into the 11s. Seems like a better choice than yours - 10 years newer and 26k less miles for ~ $500/yr.
Might be a great buy, but I learned to stay from farkles, especially anything where someone chopped into wiring.I've seen some real HACK jobs from people installing accessories.
If I don't sell it, Oh well, it sits in a heated barn and eats nothing.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
John, as you know I just bought a 2006, airbag, abs, nav, (lvl 4) with 19k miles, new tires, exc. condition, titanium. Seller listed it at $8,800 and we agreed on $8,200. I searched cycle trader, Craig’s List (national) and the wing forums and the bike I bought is an example of what the market is today. I was specifically looking for an abs bike with lower miles and they are a bit harder to find and I think I probably paid a bit of a premium for it.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Glockjock

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
John, as you know I just bought a 2006, airbag, abs, nav, (lvl 4) with 19k miles, new tires, exc. condition, titanium. Seller listed it at $8,800 and we agreed on $8,200. I searched cycle trader, Craig’s List (national) and the wing forums and the bike I bought is an example of what the market is today. I was specifically looking for an abs bike with lower miles and they are a bit harder to find and I think I probably paid a bit of a premium for it.

Hope that helps.

You didn't say where you bought it from, Private or dealer,.... local paper or Cycletrader or Craigslist, etc.

I was just curious, that's all. I am thinking about putting my 2015 Ultra up for sale and buying a smaller bike. I haven't bought or sold a bike except from a dealer in years. So know I'm trying to learn how to do it privately again. Any help would b be appreciated.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have a Titanium 2006 ABS with lots of goodies including Helibars, custom heated seat w/backrest, XM Garmin, Traxxion Brace, spring, and upgraded rear hose & shock & more. It has 69,000 miles and has been very well maintained and in excellent shape.

If I were to list it in the good weather I would list at $8900 and be willing to settle for $8500. Once I decide to sell something I want it done swiftly. My last 2 bikes and 3 cars sold to the first lookers. I tend to buy good stuff and offer good value when I sell.

I would also follow your LOCAL market and see how many 06-10's are advertised (C-List & Cycle Trader) in the area to help set the price. Be aware of NADA & KBB but only to justify your price...not to set it.

It is a soft market so including the farkles should help. Most Wing buyers are very smart, plan to add farkles, and do value QUALITY farkles.

I do agree with a previous poster who commented on any electronic hack jobs...get rid of those and clean them up if you have any.

YMMV. Good luck with your sale and let us know how you do if you don't mind.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for the advice, and help.
I will get some pictures and get it posted on Craigslist in the next few days and see what happens.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
Sorry to hear you are wanting to sell John .
Prices are all over the place many high and many low.
The fact that yours doesn’t have any of the ridiculous aftermarket crap installed would definitely make it worth more to me !

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
You didn't say where you bought it from, Private or dealer,.... local paper or Cycletrader or Craigslist, etc.

I was just curious, that's all. I am thinking about putting my 2015 Ultra up for sale and buying a smaller bike. I haven't bought or sold a bike except from a dealer in years. So know I'm trying to learn how to do it privately again. Any help would b be appreciated.
I bought it from a private seller who put it on Craig’s list in Miami with very good pictures. I used a search engine that searches Craig’s list nationally and found it. Called him, discussed it at length and agreed to fly down and ride it back. He picked me up at the airport, I inspected it and it was “as advertised” so we did the paperwork, I paid him cash and rode it home.

There are a few private sellers on cycle trader but most of the listings there are dealers and usually the price advertised doesn’t include some dealer fees from a few dollars to $795.

I have bought and sold a lot of bikes over the years including my RT last week and I usually advertise on Craig’s List, Adv Rider and if a gold wing, on this site. I have sold two wings on this site.

In my opinion, the key to selling your bike on line is taking lots of high quality pictures to put in your add and give a thorough description. Price it at the absolute lowest price you would be willing to take and hold your price firm and list that in your add too. If you don’t get interest in a few days, you are likely priced too high for your particular bike, based on miles, condition, etc. Everything will sell for the right price and you might have to lower yours to move it.

A heavily farkled bike may be harder to sell than one that is closer to stock, especially if it has a lot of chrome or stuff that can’t be undone. When I am looking to buy, I usually scroll by those just because I don’t like a lot of stuff on my bike.

Above all, when selling your bike on line, BE HONEST because when the buyer gets to your house to close the deal you WILL have to look him/her in the eye. If your buyer is flying in, it is even more important. A good add with lots of close up, well lit pictures, and a competitive price, will bring you a buyer.....

Good luck with your sale!:grin2:

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bought it from a private seller who put it on Craig’s list in Miami with very good pictures. I used a search engine that searches Craig’s list nationally and found it. Called him, discussed it at length and agreed to fly down and ride it back. He picked me up at the airport, I inspected it and it was “as advertised” so we did the paperwork, I paid him cash and rode it home.

There are a few private sellers on cycle trader but most of the listings there are dealers and usually the price advertised doesn’t include some dealer fees from a few dollars to $795.

I have bought and sold a lot of bikes over the years including my RT last week and I usually advertise on Craig’s List, Adv Rider and if a gold wing, on this site. I have sold two wings on this site.

In my opinion, the key to selling your bike on line is taking lots of high quality pictures to put in your add and give a thorough description. Price it at the absolute lowest price you would be willing to take and hold your price firm and list that in your add too. If you don’t get interest in a few days, you are likely priced too high for your particular bike, based on miles, condition, etc. Everything will sell for the right price and you might have to lower yours to move it.

A heavily farkled bike may be harder to sell than one that is closer to stock, especially if it has a lot of chrome or stuff that can’t be undone. When I am looking to buy, I usually scroll by those just because I don’t like a lot of stuff on my bike.

Above all, when selling your bike on line, BE HONEST because when the buyer gets to your house to close the deal you WILL have to look him/her in the eye. If your buyer is flying in, it is even more important. A good add with lots of close up, well lit pictures, and a competitive price, will bring you a buyer.....

Good luck with your sale!:grin2:

Thanks for the great tips, following your advice should help a lot.:thumbup:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks everyone for the advice, and help.
I will get some pictures and get it posted on Craigslist in the next few days and see what happens.
John - A word of caution you may already know about. There are several very creative buyer scams on Craigslist. The most "popular" is an offer using Paypal to pay you and sending a shipper to pick up the bike. The Paypal receipt you receive is bogus. Another is a request for the bike's history report - similar to a Carfax, but they give you a link to "buy" the report - it is a scam to get your credit card number. If you Google "Craigslist scams" you will find those and probably others.

Good luck with the sale.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts