GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I saw a YouTube video of a rider complaining about the poor quality sound and the interference on his sena headset. I do not know which model he had.

Honda recommend the sena 10s or the sena 20s for compatibility with the Goldwing.

Can anyone recommend either model? The 10s or the 20s evo.

I am concerned that the 20s evo has a new antenna design that may not work well with the Goldwing although the marketing blurb claims the reception, and sound quality to be superior.

Naturally I would prefer the 20s but not if its incompatible with the goldwing.

I am not referring to range, just the sound quality, interference and overall compatibility with the goldwing.

Thanks!

·
Registered
414 Posts
20s works perfectly well with my Wing. It's not even a new one, it is several years old. Pairs up perfectly. Music, Nav and phone calls come through with excellent sound quality.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
20s works perfectly well with my Wing. It's not even a new one, it is several years old. Pairs up perfectly. Music, Nav and phone calls come through with excellent sound quality.
But it is the new 20s EVO that I am concerned about. It has a new multi antenna design that may not be compatible with the goldwing.

I do not think you can buy the 20s anymore as they are pushing the 20s evo and its new antenna design, so I am hoping for feedback from someone that specifically has the 20s Evo.

It is an expensive purchase that I do not want to regret.:frown2:

I am more confident that the 10s is a safer bet than the 20s evo in terms of goldwing compatibility.

Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I’ve been happy with a pair of 10s units for years now. I do not have a new goldwing, but have paired it to countless devices and never had a problem.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Bluetooth is Bluetooth and compatibility lies there. As far as antenna design etc, it is not an issue to transmit it 18 inches from your helmet to the bike. The antenna is for longer range communications headset to headset
IMHO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have used a Sena SMH10 since 2014. I've used it with three different bikes. I also communicate with my wife who has the same headset in her helmet. I used to communicate with no issues to the guys I ride with.
Lately, that has changed. They have all moved onto the 20S, 20S EVO, or 30S. I'm starting to have issues connecting to them and can't join them on the Sena phone app. The phone app makes connecting to others in our group easy-peasy.
I finally bit the bullet and purchased the 20S EVO from my local dealer for $439 (+ tax) from my local dealer.
They should be in tonight...so within the next couple of days I'll have a real answer for you. I suspect it will be a much better experience than the SMH10s which wasn't all that bad to begin.
My only issues with the SMH10 and the Goldwing, sometimes if I leave the headset on and turn the bike off for a few minutes it doesn't reconnect without restarting the SMH10. Music quality is just OK, even after upgrading my speakers using a Koss headset as a donor.
A few years ago my SMH10 battery died as I use it every single day of the year. I bought the biggest battery that would fit in the case from China for $5 delivered (two in a package). That was an amazing upgrade...I now use the SHM10 for weeks at at time driving to and from work and up to 20 hours of continuous listening / talking while doing an IBA run.
I will probably upgrade the batteries and speakers in the 20S EVO. I'll report when / if I do.
Funny...the local dealership just called and my new headsets are in. I'll pick them up on the way home.

I would like to shout-out to my local Honda dealer, Cochise Motorsports in Sierra Vista, AZ. Those guys rock and always take exceptionally good care of me and my riders who purchase from them. (Honda, Yamaha, Polaris) To be fair, the other bike dealer in town, Sierra Cycles are pretty darned good people too, but they don't have Honda. (Suzuki, Kawasaki, Can-Am)
(Is a shout-out legal?)

Reactions: northgork

·
Registered
73 Posts
I’ve not used the 20s evo, but did use the 20s with no issues. The antenna changes in the evo just delete the pop up antenna the the original 20s had/has. That being said the big feature difference between 10 and 20 is audio multitasking and better speakers for the helmet. Well worth the added cost for those two things. Now all that being said I have upgraded to the 30K and its claim to fame is the mesh networking. Makes connecting to other riders dead simple, but they have to have a 30K as well to take advantage. The cost difference between 20s evo and 30K is minimal so if you are buying new I’d recommend the 30K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
249 Posts
I’ve not used the 20s evo, but did use the 20s with no issues. The antenna changes in the evo just delete the pop up antenna the the original 20s had/has. That being said the big feature difference between 10 and 20 is audio multitasking and better speakers for the helmet. Well worth the added cost for those two things. Now all that being said I have upgraded to the 30K and its claim to fame is the mesh networking. Makes connecting to other riders dead simple, but they have to have a 30K as well to take advantage. The cost difference between 20s evo and 30K is minimal so if you are buying new I’d recommend the 30K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Personally, I read a lot of poor reviews of the 30, that's why I went 20S EVO.
Even one guy in my club had them and ditched them due to issues.
That being said, everyone has different experiences...

Reactions: Drgsin

·
Registered
73 Posts
Personally, I read a lot of poor reviews of the 30, that's why I went 20S EVO.

Even one guy in my club had them and ditched them due to issues.

That being said, everyone has different experiences...

Having had both I can say my experience is that on the Bluetooth side the 30k is just as good as the 20s. The mesh networking feature is what got our group to upgrade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
no issues with the 20S evo.....when riding with my wife, they are very sensitive with wind noise at times, so have to make minor adjustments as to their placement which helps
quality of sound with music could be better (comparing to my previous J & M corded units)
very happy overall

·
Registered
414 Posts
But it is the new 20s EVO that I am concerned about. It has a new multi antenna design that may not be compatible with the goldwing.

I do not think you can buy the 20s anymore as they are pushing the 20s evo and its new antenna design, so I am hoping for feedback from someone that specifically has the 20s Evo.

It is an expensive purchase that I do not want to regret./forums/images/GL1800riders_2015/smilies/tango_face_sad.png

I am more confident that the 10s is a safer bet than the 20s evo in terms of goldwing compatibility.

Thanks anyway.
I would fall over with shock if that antenna made any difference in how Bluetooth functions. It is just a fixed antenna vs a flip up. So it has a better connection.

It's Bluetooth 3 feet away, antenna isn't going to impact it.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Yeah, I have the 20S (so no experience with the EVO), but a riding buddy has the 30K. We often ride for many hours together and we talk over the intercom a lot. Couple days ago the humidity was really low around here and we did 6 hours in the saddle talking the whole time with no issues. Granted it was just the two of us (don't segue to the song!) but the batteries lasted the entire ride and communications were clear. I also ran Waze the entire time in Apple CarPlay. I'm confident the 20S EVO is a fine unit as well. Remember, your phone will have an impact in this as well. I did end up basically rebuilding the headset software (hard reset/reload code), the iPhone (hard reset/reset all settings), and the bike's system software (reset and reload the last update) to get a stable environment. It was a PIA, but, once everything was back to being hooked up, I've had no issues. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
20S Evo here.....

Pairs up and sounds fine on my 2019 DCT Tour AB..........
I do mainly use IEMs connected to the Evo for much better fidelity and also hearing protection.

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
There are many different ways a Bluetooth headset can be used, so how it works for you will depend on how you're using it.

The first and easiest thing for a Bluetooth headset to do is to pair to the bikes audio system so you can listen to music, use Apple Car Play, and have Nav voice prompts. That usually works well for most all units.

The second function is when you want to have a passenger and be linked to them so you can have rider-to-passenger intercom, while also being linked to the bikes audio system. This adds another layer of complexity. The Sena 20S seems to do a good job of this, and allows either rider or passenger to toggle the intercom function on and off on BOTH headsets by simply pushing a button. It's important to be able to turn the intercom off and still be connected to the bikes audio in the event one of the mics starts picking up wind noise. I've also noticed that any music audio from the bike is noticeably improved on the Sena 20s if the intercom function is turned off.

The third, (and most difficult) function is to try to link up multiple headsets for bike-to-bike communication, while also being linked to your own bikes audio system and paired to your rider for the rider-to-passenger intercom. This is where nearly all of the units on the market fall on their face. The Sena 30K has a Mesh function to make this work easier, but the rider-to-passengar intercom function on it is not nearly as good as the Sena 20S. Expect to get very poor range, drop outs, and noise when trying to use Bluetooth for bike-to-bike comm. Some units will intermittently drop the link to your own bikes audio system when trying to communicate bike-to-bike, making you stop and repair the headset to the bike. There are just a myriad of problems and complications you'll run into, and I think they have just tried to press the utility of Bluetooth too far beyond its capabilities. Bluetooth range is also very limiting, and honestly, I think it's folly to try to use them for Bike-To-Bike comm.

I've also read reports of problems with some Bluetooth headsets when you try to use them with OEM Honda CB unit.

I have not used the Cardo units myself, so I can't say if they work any better or not. I have used both the Sena 30K and 20S, and I find the 20S has fewer problems.

So just beware when someone tells you they are using a particular unit and don't have any problems. Because it depends on HOW they are using it.

·
Registered
2008 GL1800 Base Model
1,096 Posts
There are many different ways a Bluetooth headset can be used, so how it works for you will depend on how you're using it.

The first and easiest thing for a Bluetooth headset to do is to pair to the bikes audio system so you can listen to music, use Apple Car Play, and have Nav voice prompts. That usually works well for most all units.

The second function is when you want to have a passenger and be linked to them so you can have rider-to-passenger intercom, while also being linked to the bikes audio system. This adds another layer of complexity. The Sena 20S seems to do a good job of this, and allows either rider or passenger to toggle the intercom function on and off on BOTH headsets by simply pushing a button. It's important to be able to turn the intercom off and still be connected to the bikes audio in the event one of the mics starts picking up wind noise. I've also noticed that any music audio from the bike is noticeably improved on the Sena 20s if the intercom function is turned off.

The third, (and most difficult) function is to try to link up multiple headsets for bike-to-bike communication, while also being linked to your own bikes audio system and paired to your rider for the rider-to-passenger intercom. This is where nearly all of the units on the market fall on their face. The Sena 30K has a Mesh function to make this work easier, but the rider-to-passengar intercom function on it is not nearly as good as the Sena 20S. Expect to get very poor range, drop outs, and noise when trying to use Bluetooth for bike-to-bike comm. Some units will intermittently drop the link to your own bikes audio system when trying to communicate bike-to-bike, making you stop and repair the headset to the bike. There are just a myriad of problems and complications you'll run into, and I think they have just tried to press the utility of Bluetooth too far beyond its capabilities. Bluetooth range is also very limiting, and honestly, I think it's folly to try to use them for Bike-To-Bike comm.

I've also read reports of problems with some Bluetooth headsets when you try to use them with OEM Honda CB unit.

I have not used the Cardo units myself, so I can't say if they work any better or not. I have used both the Sena 30K and 20S, and I find the 20S has fewer problems.

So just beware when someone tells you they are using a particular unit and don't have any problems. Because it depends on HOW they are using it.
:thumbup: :agree::agree::agree: Very well put, Fred! I have the Sena 20s as does my wife/passenger, and two riding buddies as well... anything beyond pairing just two units becomes hit-and-miss.

David

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Ill add my .02 with my cardo experience. The best mesh networking available is on the Cardos. Riders drop in and out seamlessly. Ive struggled/gone through the cardo lineup and ended up with the packtalk bolds. Fred is right...when you add a passenger it gets more complicated. when you add other riders, it gets even more complicated and when you add a CB its crazy, lol. i mostly use mine for my wife and I and they work as advertised. music plays, stops when talking is initiated and resumes when talking stops. no button pushes. great sound with the JBL speakers and crystal clear communication. Cardo constantly rates higher than Sena in all the tests.

·
Registered
249 Posts
As promised, my take on the SMH10 vs 20S EVO.
Wow!!!
What a dramatic improvement from my Sena SMH10 helmet speakers / Bluetooth.
The sound is amazing and because I already had a similar system installed, the install was easy. At least on my wife's helmet. I had modified the speakers in my helmet trying to improve the sound. The upgraded speakers I installed are not as good as the speakers in the 20S EVO kit. And, because I upgraded my speakers I had modified the speaker mounting in my helmet. I now had a large hole where I needed a small indentation and flat spot. I got the idea to use hot glue as filler. It worked a treat. Now I had a renewed flat spot to mount the new speakers.

I like the 20S EVO, a lot. The sound is much superior to the SMH10 speakers and even dramatically better than my "improved" speakers. I also don't have any hissing and popping on the background. I had come to ignore the imperfect sound. The 20S EVO is sooooo much better in this regard. The upgrade was totally worth it in my opinion. (My SMH10s were about six years old with at least 75,000 miles on my headset.)

The 20S EVO instantly connected to my phone. You need to connect to your phone to use the Sena app. I was also able to connect to my Goldwing, however, that is not intuitive at all. You have to put the bike in promiscuous mode. It then covers the menu with another window with the only item being "abort." Once you see your item pop into the menu behind the abort screen you click "abort." You then have to click on the bluetooth device you are installing. It is then set.

I'm a bit curious of how my phone and Goldwing will interact together with my headset. I need the phone to connect to multiple riders...I'm not sure how that part will work. Time will tell.

EDIT: I've had great success communicating with my SMH10, especially to other SMH10 headsets. The range has been amazing. I ran into trouble trying to connect to guys with the 20S or 20S EVO, that's why I finally upgraded. Time will tell if this improves my connection to them. They all connect without issue at this point.

Reactions: northgork

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Sena 30K has a Mesh function to make this work easier, but the rider-to-passengar intercom function on it is not nearly as good as the Sena 20S. Expect to get very poor range, drop outs, and noise when trying to use Bluetooth for bike-to-bike comm.
Brilliant! Thank you. Most important tip. I think I will now go for the 20s evo as rider-to-passenger comms is most important for me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kind of agree but there are other variables too, as the fixed antenna is more powerful in the evo version which may mean a voltage increase, although I agree that this is probably not a concern but an improvement when it comes to interference , my concern is that this version has yet to be endorsed by Honda as it is a new model relatively speaking.

Again, from all the responses, for which i am grateful, I am now convinced that the Sena 20s evo is best for my purposes.

Good to know that the antenna is built in now too. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts