GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
We have been holdouts to the new technologies with our intercoms using wired for well over 20 years but when my wife decided to start driving a Trike it produced new issues. We decided to change to Bluetooth and spent the $1000. and ended up ordering 2 - SENA 20S intercom units and 2 - SENA Freewire units. We have the Intercom process down pretty good and have ridden several 400-500 mile trips with our 2 bikes but when I connect one of the SENA Freewire's up it causes lots of issues. I'd sync my Freewire to the bike and to my 20S but have had issues trying to use the CB. One of the reps told me each time I'd go to the CB mode I'd have to click the 20S button to put me back into intercom mode. Has anyone gotten these to sync and work as designed? Can you give a newbie to Bluetooth a few pointers?

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I have a twin 10S setup with 2 Free wires. We ride one bike and use the bike's intercom, CB works great and we don't lose intercom. And have the bike's audio at the same time unless transmitting. Certainly bed sure the Sena components have the latest firmware installed.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
851 Posts
Can't help you with the Freewire issue however this topic has been discussed here in great length. I might suggest the electronics section of the forum. Go back to the home page and scroll down to the bottom of the page. You'll find it under sub-boards. We also have two GW's and use SENA 10's with no problems. We do not however use our CB's. And choose not to. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Sena 20S and the Freewire

Hello,
We have been holdouts to the new technologies with our intercoms using wired for well over 20 years but when my wife decided to start driving a Trike it produced new issues. We decided to change to Bluetooth and spent the $1000. and ended up ordering 2 - SENA 20S intercom units and 2 - SENA Freewire units. We have the Intercom process down pretty good and have ridden several 400-500 mile trips with our 2 bikes but when I connect one of the SENA Freewire's up it causes lots of issues. I'd sync my Freewire to the bike and to my 20S but have had issues trying to use the CB. One of the reps told me each time I'd go to the CB mode I'd have to click the 20S button to put me back into intercom mode. Has anyone gotten these to sync and work as designed? Can you give a newbie to Bluetooth a few pointers?

Thanks,

Dan
Pushing the 20S button will reconnect the intercom. However in my opinion using the intercom with the CB is problematic because the 20S switches modes slowly, which means generally you will lose the beginning of a CB transmission if you have a connected intercom session. The connected intercom session seems to make the mode switch slower.

If you have side tone enabled on your headset, you will hear yourself in your headset. If you do not hear yourself you have not broken through the VOX or the intercom is not active. This is most noticeable with ear buds, but you can still hear the side tone if using helmet speakers.

I am not sure why using the CB would impact your intercom unless you have multitasking turned off. Remember, the only time the Freewire is involved is when sending and receiving audio from the bike. The Freewire is not involved in an intercom conversation.

The Freewire does not "pair" with the bike. It connects in the same way an analog headset does.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have the Freewire connected to the bike. Sometimes when I stop for lunch with the gang or gas up I have to reconnect everything (not the wires, etc). What I have to do is turn on the Sena 20S FIRST, then the bike key to the acc. position. The Freewire will come on with the key on because I have it's power source in the left pocket. In my headset, I will hear the 20S voice making the connection. My Free wire is mounted on the top panel close to the ignition key. Sometimes even with the power light on the Freewire, the Bluetooth light is not. So I have to press it to come on. I get full use of CB, Audio, etc. I even have my 20S Bluetooth to my TOMTOM GPS which not only gives me directions through the head set but also the cell phone is bluetoothed to the GPS. Everything works even the 20S intercom with my friends bikes. The main thing is helmet on first then bike on. My GPS is also keyed to come on with the bike and power source is in the right pocket (using the grip warmers connection) MY bike is the 2005. When I turn on the 20S and then the bike, I hear the voice telling me twice the things are connected.

Reactions: vanavyman
1 - 5 of 5 Posts